This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some interesting calls ive taken...

I'm now in the Phone Center of a large warehouse company, known for its' bright day-glo orange aprons. YOu know the one.

Calls I got today:

Customer: What time are you open until?
    Me: Six, sir.
    Customer: Six Am????
    Me: No, Six PM sir.
    Customer: Oh!

Me: Good morning, Happy Canada day, <place of employment>, Horsetuna speaking! We close at 6 tonight!
    Customer: But what time do you OPEN?

Me: Good morning, Happy Canada day, <place of employment>, Horsetuna speaking! We are open until six!
    Customer: Are you open today?

After asking questions and searching the computer, I had to tell this poor fellow we do not carry replacement pumps for his 50 dollar garden fountain:
    Me: I'm sorry sir, but our associates in that department say we do not carry parts for the fountains.
    Customer: So what am I supposed to do?
    Me: Well, you could try contacting the manufacturer...
    Customer: That's in CHINA! It would take them another year to get the part to me! You mean to tell me that <Day Glo Orange Apron> doesnt carry spare parts for its' fountains?
    Me: I'm afraid not sir. You would have to go to the manufacturer
    Customer: This is unbelievable! I'm not going to call CHINA for this pump! Can I talk to your manager please?
    Me: One moment sir.

I briefed the manager, then put the guy though. And yes, he did say Please. He wasn't really screaming angry either, but obviously expaserated.

As well, I found an excellent time-saving measure. We're open usually until 10, and thus, after 6, I found out a way to easily cut half my calls' time in half, by changing my greeting from:

Good morning, Happy Canada day, <place of employment>, Horsetuna speaking!

To:

Good morning, Happy Canada day, <place of employment>, Horsetuna speaking, we close at ten pm tonight!

Associates listening to me after six tend to stare at me in amazement, especially after I smile, say "Have a good evening sir/ma'am" then just hang up. One guy thinks I'm psychich. So do a lot of customers (With some who obviously are amused by my greeting, I jokingly offer winning lottery numbers, then say "Well, you cant have them! I'm not allowed to gamble on company time!")

I have, so far, only deliberately (Re, Not hit the wrong button) hung up on one man so far though in my two months at Day Glo Orange Apron. The guy wasnt really upset at ME, but upset at Day Glo Orange Apron in general, so was ranting.

Him: Its just unbelievable that Day Glo Orange Apron would not.
    Metrying to interrupt, incredibly too polite) sir, is there-
    Him: *more complaints, and whining*
    Me: Sir!
    Him: *Now beginning to talk about the economy in general and how horrible it is*
    Me: Uhm...
    Him:*getting into the employment problem in Alberta and starting on the Federal government*
    Me:*click*

No complaints were made, that I am aware of, and I did tell my supervisor just in case the guy called back. He found it amusing.

Another nice old lady called, and she was rather sweet:

Me: Good morning, Happy Canada day, Day Glo Orange Apron, Horsetuna speaking!
    Her: Well, Hello. I seem to have a bit of a problem (In that slightly-old, soft spoken way. I bit my lip too. Ever seen American Dad? Her voice was a LOT like the Aliens' voice)
    Me: Yes? *proddingly*
    Her: *she goes on about her concern. I forget about what it was. A delivery, I think. I look into it, and sadly cant find much information for her. She goes on a few minutes about how upset she was with Day Glo Orange Apron and such, without really being angry at me, or on the phone. Nice old lady. The call took about ten minutes to finish*

I hope she got her problem sorted out. Nice lady, if a little longwinded and squeaky voiced.

I had a similar older gentleman who went into, and I swear to god, the typical "In my day and age, we walked uphill both ways to school in the snow barefoot and we LIKED it!" kind of rant. Again, not directed at me, but at Day Glo Orange Apron, about how service has gone downhill and stuff. Again, amusing but not really. I hope his problem was solved too.

I also had TWO women who, having blinds miscut, said "People can see me walk around the house naked!" when I said there wasnt' much we can do with special order Blinds the same day. I was tempted to tell them to tack up blankets or sheets. It seems many young wives in this city wander the house by the picture windows without anything on. No wonder we have so many stalkers.

More stories to come. I have a journal now to record my experiences in.
    Last edited by Horsetuna; 07-02-2007, 03:59 AM.
    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Ok they walking around the house nekkid had me cracking up! Um, not that I have any knowledge about that or anything, really...I swear. Seriously, miscut blinds aren't that hard to get around, just keep yer lights off (or lights towards the front then stay towards the back) and guess what, no one sees a thing. Again, not that I know.
    Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Second to last paragraph, you mistyped "Day Glow Orange Apron", hon.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Fixed. Thanks!

And Bunny, I guess they mean after they return the old blinds and are waiting on the new ones. As well, many houses have big bay windows, and it gets HOT up here. Unless they want to pay for the new blinds, then get a refund when they return the old miscut blinds, they have to go without blinds for a few weeks (or longer, from some of the records I've seen). Thus, then they are visible to anyone outside.
        Last edited by Horsetuna; 07-02-2007, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
          Second to last paragraph, you mistyped "Day Glow Orange Apron", hon.
          Well, some of us non-Americans are glad he did, otherwise we wouldn't have the slightest clue what store he was talking about. I must admit, I don't understand the whole thing about using "codes" to hide where you're working.

I mean, look at it: If you come up with some obvious description that will let almost any American guess what the name of the store is, then you're not really being secretive, are you? Your employer or colleagues are fellow Americans, and could guess it as well.

All you do, is leave the non-Americans clueless. And we're not likely to get you fired anyway.

Why don't people either be open about it, or just describe what services their company offer, and then don't mention the name, uniform, what it rhymes with, the initials, or other distinctive features?

This is not directed at anyone in particular, by the way, it just strikes me as slightly pointless, and I've seen a lot of posters do it.

Comment

I think part of the reason is, Gyro, the actual name of the company is more likely to come up in a Google or search, than if they searched for Day Glo Orange Apron.

Sorry about doing that.

PS - I'm a she.

Comment

Yeah, I thought that might be the issue. It's still very confusing though when all you're told about a store is that they wear red polo shirts or something, and then you have no idea what kind of store it is. Oh well, I'll probably figure them out eventually

Also, I know you're a she, but I didn't look at who the poster was Sorry.

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                Fixed. Thanks!

And Bunny, I guess they mean after they return the old blinds and are waiting on the new ones. As well, many houses have big bay windows, and it gets HOT up here. Unless they want to pay for the new blinds, then get a refund when they return the old miscut blinds, they have to go without blinds for a few weeks (or longer, from some of the records I've seen). Thus, then they are visible to anyone outside.
                Or they could, ya know, get a robe or some PJs or something... just a thought!

And I think some of us also just like to amuse ourselves with creative ways to identify where we work without actually saying the name. I don't make any secret of where I work but sometimes I like to refer to it as something else...just fer giggles...(yeah, I'm easily amused...)
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

*shrugs* I sit around my room naked... more comfortable, and don't have do laundry quite as often. But I also have thick-as-a-quilt purple velvet drapes smothering my windows. I wouldn't trust blinds to keep the neighboorhood sprogglings...er, children, at bay.

I'm afraid I have to confess, today I asked when a shop closed, just after greeted with "So and So place, open 24 hours." Of course, I was smacking myself afterwards.

Comment

Customer: What time are you open until?
                    Me: Six, sir.
                    Customer: Six Am????
                    Me: No, Six PM sir.
                    Customer: Oh!
                    OK, that person's just...not smart. May be a window licker.

Me: Good morning, Happy Canada day, <place of employment>, Horsetuna speaking! We close at 6 tonight!
                    Customer: But what time do you OPEN?
                    That's a good question, for what it's worth.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth GyroKat View Post
                      Well, some of us non-Americans are glad he did, otherwise we wouldn't have the slightest clue what store he was talking about.
                      Re: not giving out our company names and such. In part, I believe we all prefer to have some anonymity while on the site, as it has been hacked and quite often. It's just as likely that those companies might be surfing the site, and, upon putting two and eight together, could possibly fire your ass for Libel. It's sketchy, but I think, by not directly naming the company, they can't really do that, legally. I don't know for absolute certain, but I think that's the major gist of the reasoning.
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Also part of it is there's a search function on the forum. If you don't name specific company, then they can't just come search. And would you want to search through 132 pages to try and match up specific threads and posts to someone who *might* work at your location?
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

As you say it, Day-Glo Orange Apron has thousands of stores in the US and Canada, To be afraid that someone might be able to track you down through all that is, to say the least, paranoid. If you worked at our store in Casa Grande, I couldn't locate you with what you have revealed here. Don't worry so much, we all like you here.

Comment

I feel your pain, Horsetuna! I work wearing one of those aprons in the paint department, and after those calls are transfered to my desk, and I've told them "I'll hold that (paint related article) for you at the paint desk til closing time at 9," the next question out of their mouth is invariably "What time do you close this evening?"

Comment

Quoth Starlord View Post
                              As you say it, Day-Glo Orange Apron has thousands of stores in the US and Canada, To be afraid that someone might be able to track you down through all that is, to say the least, paranoid.
                              Actually, it's more for the protection of the site, as some have pointed out. If our members aren't specifically naming companies, then there are no issues for Rapscallion, should a company decide to get pissy if a post puts their company in a bad light.

I believe in several places, the mods have cautioned people about disclosing too much information about their place of employment.

Maybe the companies are too busy to go searching internet forums to track down their employees, but we have had members in the past who have been harrassed by people who knew them, and they were easily identified through their posts, so not specifically naming the place of employment is just one more way of making it easier to remain anonymous.

As the rules state
                              Due to the nature of this site, we recommend that you give out as little (information) as possible.
                              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                              X