This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Drawing CF

One of the local clubs does a drawing once a year that I've been roped into again. They've been doing this for longer than I've worked here, so 20+ years. Basically, it's a lottery, where people buy a ticket and get entered into a weekly drawing for half the year. Prizes vary from $50 to $500 depending on the week.

The past few years, they've had trouble selling tickets. There's fewer members of the club as people have either died off or moved out of the area. This year, they decided to slim down on the drawing. Fewer tickets, fewer prizes. They still didn't get any of the tickets to me until this week.

It's always a clusterfuck, but this year it's worse. One of the members left a stack of ticket on my desk with a note that one of the other members would drop off more. They're supposed to have 200 tickets, but I only received 169, even after the other member dropped off hers. She said somebody was going to buy 3 more. I'd still be missing 28 tickets. <takes a deep, calming breath>

I have no idea which tickets are missing, either. The numbers range from 1 to 230 with multiple gaps of 3 or more tickets in between.

Normally in January, I sit down with one of the club members to draw all the winners, making a list so I can dole out the prizes on the week they're announced. I have not been contacted by any member of the club to arrange this. But since I don't have all the tickets, I guess it can wait?

This is one of those things we do as a courtesy to one of our customers. We've always done it, and we'll continue doing it, more as a community service than anything. But it is such a mess.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Quoth Ghel View Post
    I have no idea which tickets are missing, either. The numbers range from 1 to 230 with multiple gaps of 3 or more tickets in between.
    Frankly, I'd be suspecting fraud, and I'd get the heck away from any sort of responsibility for it.

Comment

I don't think it's deliberate. I find it much more likely it's incompetence.

Another thing about this drawing is that the seller of the ticket is supposed to deliver the check to the winner. Something about personal service or whatever. But there's no contact information for the seller on the ticket. Just the buyer/winner. So if I don't already have information for the seller, I have to call around to other club members to try to get them to contact the seller so they can pickup the check.

Some of the club members only put their nickname on the tickets they sell. I had to ask around one year because "Bart" sold a ticket, and I had no idea who Bart was.

ETA: The fellow who dropped of the first set of tickets stopped by today to ask if I was "all set" to do the drawing. I had to tell him I only had 169 tickets. He was confused. He took all the tickets back so he could figure out which ones were missing. Yeah, it's incompetence.
      Last edited by Ghel; 02-10-2020, 02:51 PM.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
      X