X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pagan View Post
    "Dear Abby,
    You might find that I will pull off your arm and beat you about the head with the bloody end!
    You shouldn't use the bloody end...then they'll just come after you for the dry cleaning bill...

I saw this one this morning and it pissed me off, too. I wrote my own note:

Dear Abby,
    I was very disappointed by your response to Nicki in Maryland, who wrote about being touched by customers in her retail job. Just because she is a retail employee does not mean her right to her body is left in the parking lot when she comes to work every day. A simple “Excuse me, could you help me find X item” is sufficient - there is absolutely no reason for a customer to physically pull an employee along to receive help in finding something. I am amazed that you would condone such behavior. Would you give the same advice to someone who wrote that they were frequently grabbed by the arm by people asking for directions on the street? I sincerely doubt that you would.

I agree that Nicki should speak with her supervisor to come up with an appropriate response, but the suggestion that she should just put up with it or find another job was way out of line. Most retail employees do not have the option of simply working “elsewhere” in the store where there is less customer contact. In my 10-plus years of retail experience, everyone is expected to be able to work in any area of the store; there are no positions with little or no customer contact, and it is not always possible to “stay out of arm’s reach.” Besides, maybe Nicki likes her job. Maybe she’s planning a future with that company. Maybe there are not a lot of other options in her area. Maybe she is in school or has small children and the flexible schedule works well for her life. There are any number of reasons to stay in a job, and the presence of rude customers who don’t know when to keep their hands to themselves should not be a reason to leave it. And if a customer will walk out simply because an employee politely told them a touch was unwelcome, that is not a customer I care to keep.

Signed,
    Respect My Personal Space, Please
    This occurred to me after I sent my note, but I find it telling that "Nicki" is female. If "Nicki" were "Nicholas" I doubt the letter would ever have been written.
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 03-25-2008, 12:19 AM. Reason: posted my letter
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Just a note, but you can put 000-000-0000 for each of the phone number entries.

Dear Abby,

I read your recent response to NICKI IN MARYLAND, and was appalled at the seeming callousness of your response.

While the advice to discuss the matter with her supervisor is excellent, the suggestion that it is somehow acceptable for strangers to grab or otherwise manhandle service workers is distressing.

While I, personally, have no issues with others touching me to get my attention, I would never presume to invade another person's space without their permission. And your advice appears to condone just such an action.

Also, even if NICKI were to find another position, that would still do nothing to solve the issue of unwanted personal contact. I am disappointed that you did not take the time in your reply to NICKI to also advise those reading who might be guilty of unwanted touching that it is not acceptable behavior from a civilized person.

Signed, RESPECTFUL TO SERVICE WORKERS
      ^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        You shouldn't use the bloody end...then they'll just come after you for the dry cleaning bill...
        Crap. Didn't think of that!

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        This occurred to me after I sent my note, but I find it telling that "Nicki" is female. If "Nicki" were "Nicholas" I doubt the letter would ever have been written.
        Exactly. For some reason, it is still seen as acceptable to be touch-feely with women.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I saw this one, and wasn't very happy with it either.

I was a bit high-strung back in my retail days. I'm not as bad as I used to be, but there have been a few times when I someone came to my desk and tried to get my attention by tapping me on the shoulder, which practically sent me thru the ceiling. And another time, out of pure reflex, I almost punched a coworker who thought it would be funny to grab me while I was crouched down and stocking a low shelf. I can only imagine how much trouble I would have been if it had been a customer I had taken a swing at.

Good replies, everyone, especially the one that wouldn't get printed in a million years. Hopefully I see some of them in a future column.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Unwanted touching is assault. If it causes injury, even a minor injury (bruises, sore muscles, wrenched joints) it then becomes battery. And there's the potential for sexual harassment in there as well (does the SC only get touchy with female employees, for example?)

Assault, battery and sexual harassment are not a valid part of most businesses (barring some whorehouses), and expecting an employee to simply overlook them in order to make a sale or make the customer (sucky or otherwise) feel welcome at the place of business is not reasonable.

Personally, I rarely deal with the general public of any kind in my own job, but it does happen on occasion. I've been grabbed before, however, and my response tends to scale by the offense.

1) Unwanted touch: shake off touch, inform person that unwanted touching is a crime of assault, and not tolerated. I'll even give the benefit of the doubt to obviously distraught repeated touches, but I'll get firmer (and louder) as this goes on.

2) Grabbing/pulling/wrenching, as well as repeated touches after the warning in #1, will result in a non-painful but quite effective aikido based joint-lock and an explanation that I am not required by my job to submit to assault, battery, and/or sexual harassment.

3) I've only once had a customer go beyond the reaction in #2, and it resulted in him face down on the floor, in a very painful submission hold, with me sitting on his back, on my cellphone calling the police. He had 6 inches on me and outweighed me by over 100 pounds, with a bodybuilder's physique. I am, to put it mildly, more than a little fat and quite harmless-looking. Management backed me all the way on it, so I got to keep my job (and though I did get the offer of transferring to being a bouncer out of the deal, I like tech support better).

Comment

Luckily in my present job, so far no-one's done anything like that to me; however, I don't like being touched at all. While I will hug and kiss close friends, relatives and my boyf, I still don't like either grabbing me when I'm unawares, or being too touchy feely in public (pub does not count, in the middle of a shopping centre does!). If a customer tried to grab my arm, I would pull away from them; if they tried again, I would call a supervisor. I don't know what universe Abby lives in, but in this one it is NOT acceptable anywhere to manhandle a shop assistant; it will get you in major trouble.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
                I am executing a social faux pas, but I am skipping the plain triple-dare and going straight for the "I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!"
                Woah, she doesnt' play around, folks. Right for the throat!

Comment

"Dear Abby,
                  I was disappointed to read your response to Nicki in Maryland in regards to customers touching her at her retail job. Unwanted touching is sexual harrassment. Period. She does not need to find another job. People need to find some values and not touch strangers. Workers are human, too.
                  As for the potential loss in customers, I highly doubt that any of those customers creates enough PROFIT for the business that would compensate for the costs incurred in training a new employee. I'm not sure about retail, but in the restaurant industry, it costs $2000 minimum to replace someone. High employee morale, which includes being free from fear of being unwantedly touched, will most likely result in better customer service and higher profits anyway.

So, basically, your response sucked."

Comment

Dear Abby,

YOU SUCK AND YOUR ADVICE SUCKS TOO.

That is all.

No, I'm not actually sending this. XD I doubt it would be printed, somehow.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

I saw that too. The new Abby's responses seem to fall short of the previous Abby, especially in cases like this.
                      "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

Comment

I'm sorry, I've never done this before, where do I go to write Abby?
                        Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

www.dearabby.com
                          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                            Thank you. I found it on page two or three about a minute after I posted
                            Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Posted by me, right?
                              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                                Posted by me, right?
                                Yes

Dear Abby,

A retail worker myself, I was horrified to read your response to the girl who didn't liked to be touched at work. What you told Nicki from Maryland is horrible! No matter who you are, or what job you have, touching is NOT OKAY! That's sexual harassment if an employee does it to another employee. So you're saying that it's all right to be sexually harassed, if it's by the customer? They just have to keep their mouth shut and let it happen, otherwise risk losing a customer?

Do you assume that retail workers are less of a human being then customers? That's what you're sounding like. We are not slaves, or animals. If you haven't realized, we don't like to be treated that way either. We have the same rights as the customer.

Let me leave you with two questions. What would you say to someone writing your article about employees grabbing or touching customers? Or Co-workers touching others? The response should be the same. But I'm sure in your head they're "Different circumstances", aren't they?
                                Last edited by Kyree; 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM.
                                Pit bull-

Comment

Working...
                                X