This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power outage at the hotel

One early morning at the hotel where I work night audit the power went out. It was almost six in the morning.

most of our guests seemed understanding. It was not our fault and there really was not much we could do until the power company fixed the problem.

Two sucky guests went on line and complained. The first could not believe he was not offered a discount.

The second guest complained that nobody phoned the rooms or slipped notes under the door to explain what was going on.

So let me see if I understand this - we should have offered everyone a discount for something that was beyond our control. We should have used the non-working phones or the copy machine (also down) or maybe just printed up over a hundred hand written notes of explanation? Not gonna happen
    Last edited by EricKei; 10-13-2016, 05:49 AM.

It's six in the morning...I'm DEEPLY ASLEEP at six in the morning. Who needs power that early?

Comment

Someone who has an early flight for example. When I work the a.m. shift at the hotel, I have to be up at 4:30. That said there's no need to be sucky about it. Anybody who has experience with any travel at all or even read a travel blog knows you're not supposed to rely on the hotel alarm clock. I use my phone or failing that a battery powered travel clock.

Reminds me of the folks who complained they were not "notified as to what was going on" during the fire alarm at my old hotel. It turned out somebody burned toast, but when a fire alarm goes off, you're supposed to get out. If sirens and flashing lights aren't notification enough I'd like you to meet my friend Chuck.
      Last edited by EricKei; 10-08-2016, 01:56 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
        It's six in the morning...I'm DEEPLY ASLEEP at six in the morning. Who needs power that early?
        Actually, I do. I use a CPAP to sleep. It would have shut off, and I would have waked up. I wouldn't have been an SC over it, though. Things happen.

Comment

Ah yes, another user of the Dreaded Breathing Machine. Fun, aren't they? Especially if you wind up swallowing air all night...
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I MUST swallow air all night, I fart CONSTANTLY, dammit! It's mortifying in the extreme....

Comment

We've only had the power at the Store go out once since we opened, because a transformer exploded nearby at about 9 PM on a summer evening. It was quite the experience - everything suddenly went pitch black for a good 3-5 seconds before the generator kicked in, and people were screaming like it was the end of the world. The generator gives us enough power to keep the fridges, some of the lights, and the registers running so that we can stay open, but the place was a madhouse until the power eventually came on a few hours later.

The worst part of it was that the AC didn't turn back on on its own when the power did, and we weren't able to get it turned on again for two days. It was brutally hot in the Store that weekend - both from the outside air and the body heat being given off by the 10,000+ people that come through every day.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                Actually, I do. I use a CPAP to sleep. It would have shut off, and I would have waked up. .
                'S why I have mine plugged into a UPS. The lights might go out, PSE&G aren't all that great about keeping them on, but I'll keep breathing.

(Although I don't often take the UPS with me when I travel. Something for me to bear in mind.)

Comment

Those of us that play with hot air balloons do. In this part of the country, we fly around dawn. I had to be up at 3am all through Balloon Fiesta because the balloon I crewed with flies Dawn Patrol. If you wait until 9am, you're flying basically a 7-story building in thermals.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

My hotel was in Hurricane Matthew's path. From about 6pm Saturday evening until Sunday afternoon the water was out in the majority of the city. Despite us telling every single guest we encountered, we still had 2 complain to corporate that there was no water. They gave them free night stay certificates. Did I mention almost the entire city was out of water and a great deal of the city was also out of power? I really loved how guests kept asking me for the exact time the water would be back on.

Comment

Oh, I don't know...third shifters, first shifters, hospitals and other essential type things...

But good on you for being deeply asleep.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm awake at 5 A.M. on weekdays, as my shift at the Litter Box starts at 7. If my coffee maker isn't working, it's going to be a bad day for everyone on the planet.

Not to mention, I charge my phone at night and use it for my alarm clock. Add to that I have to have a light on in the kitchen so I can see to feed the kitties (and believe me, you don't want a double team of Gidget and Gigi - they will not leave you alone until you fix their plate and the ones outside will be at the back door on the deck knocking the door down.)

So yeah, power seems to be a necessity for me.
                        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 10-16-2016, 07:21 PM.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

When I was working graveyard shift at an airport hotel, a very large number of our guests were people who were going out on an early morning international flight and had flown in the night before, and international check in at the Salt Lake Airport started at 6am. And, because no one wanted to do early morning flights, it was actually cheaper to fly in the night before and get a hotel so you could make that early morning flight than to just take the afternoon flight that you could get all your flights done in one day.
                          And both with my old job and the job I will be starting in a couple of weeks, thanks to how the traffic works, I can either leave my house at 7:15 and be 20 minutes early or leave at 7:30 and be 15 minutes late, so most days that means being up at 5:30 to get everything done before I leave that needs to get done.
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                          X