This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diminishing Returns

I work part-time evenings and weekends for a nationally known retail DIY automobile parts store. I work a full-time job as well. When I started working there over a year ago, they were looking for two guys to work the counter. They are still looking for one more person.

Since being understaffed has become the normal SOP, I was working the store alone while my boss was getting things done in the back. Older guy comes in at about 5:30 PM, and immediately asks if the part that was promised him at 6:00 PM might have already arrived early. I informed him that the part had not yet arrived. Customer asks where our "Help!" section is: where there are lots of odds and ends, and bits and pieces that fit lots of different applications but none a perfect match to OEM. Stuff that people can sort'a make work. He appears to just want to kill 30 minutes or so before his part arrives. I point it out to him, and he wanders around for a few minutes.

I've been answering phone calls and getting parts from behind the counter for other customers. After 5 minutes of wandering around, older guy comes up to counter and shows me a broken plastic interior clip and asks me where they are. I show him the racks that contain all of these little parts: they cost about $2.50 for a pack. For the amount of profit we make on these little clips, I've already invested more time than I get paid for. His ordered part isn't going to arrive for another 25 minutes.

I help a few more customers, and answer calls. Delivery driver actually gets here early, and I let the older guy know that his part is here. After looking through the area where we have all of the little plastic clips, he asks me if I can look up which clip is for his vehicle. Let's just say that our company does not do a brisk business in bits and pieces, and we do not carry much in the trim area. We do not have a way to look up which clip might work for any given application. I tell him that I don't have a way to look up his clip; it was the truth.

Rather than being happy that his part got here earlier than promised, he was grumpy that I couldn't look up his broken clip. He paid for his ordered part, and left declaring that he would check if our direct competitor two doors down might have in stock. It happens a lot. We don't have something in stock: we can't stock everything, but the guys next door sometimes happen to have things we don't and vice versa. It works both ways. No big deal.

Here is where it gets frustrating. Customer comes back about half an hour later with a small packet of the clips with the competitor's logo on the bag. He's got this look on his face; it isn't going to be pleasant. He proceeds to inform me that he got the clips he was looking for at our competitor. Implying that I probably have them too.

He then proceeds to lecture me about how the counter girl two doors down helped him find the part he was looking for, and asking me if I understood what he was saying. He kept emphasizing that she HELPED him, that she came out from behind the counter and HELPED him, and asking if I understood what he was saying to me.

He did this several times, essentially implying that I wasn't worth the minimum wage they pay me for this retail job, and that he was entitled to my undivided attention while I held his hand looking for a $2.50 pack of clips that I don't have in stock. I've never flipped off a customer in my life, but I just about did then. When he repeatedly asked me if I understood what he was saying, I had to fight mightily not to sarcastically reply, "Yes, Mastah, I undastand. Thank you, Mastah. Thank you!"

Those stupid cheap little plastic clips are on the floor so you can help YOURSELF. Alternators, starters, brake parts, etc. are behind the counter. My main job is to get those for people. If he was the only guy in the store, and my boss was able to help the people that really needed help, maybe, just maybe, if you weren't already acting like a douche, I might get down on my knees to look at plastic interior clips and point out some that might be close to what you are looking for. It is interactions like this that make me dream of the day I can quit this retail gig, and spend that time at home with my family. That's a few years away, however.

"So what you're saying Sir is that you need your hand held when looking for parts out on the floor. So noted."
    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I loved the guys who wanted me to look up the bolts that the brackets that hold the fender splash shield or something like that. Yea shure XYZ net computer has a listing of every single bolt every used on a car!
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Captain Neon View Post
        He kept emphasizing that she HELPED him, that she came out from behind the counter and HELPED him, and asking if I understood what he was saying to me.
        Oh really? I'm glad she was able to help you then! *smile smile*

A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

They're universal..... meaning they fit NOTHING, it's not that hard.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Sir, as you can see, I am alone here and we do have other customers, can you figure out where I'm going with this or do you need somebody to help you to understand. Also, please, satisfy my curiosity - you don't have the time to look through the plastic clips, but you do have time to return here and pester me, is this the kind of thing that you give a higher priority to in your life?
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Christ, almost nothing makes me madder than when a custy talks down to service people, asking crap like "do you understand?" as if they are slow! SCREW YOU. You're the stupid one if you can't figure out simple things on your own or have trouble controlling yourself. Makes me want to punch 'em!
              "Some people are dumb." - Butthead

Comment

And, of course, all the help you could provide would consist of looking at the same little packages and seeing if one looks close.

Comment

homer, how I wish I could say that to SCs...

I get this too....that's about the caliber of the 'help' I can provide if someone either refuses to articulate what they want, or insists that what I'm showing them isn't what they want (then help me help you!).

When possible, I just walk away if someone starts with the insult/condescending game. Too many people around here just think they're above workers...it would be a great thing if we were allowed to refuse service to anyone who pulls that crap.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    I get this too....that's about the caliber of the 'help' I can provide if someone either refuses to articulate what they want, or insists that what I'm showing them isn't what they want (then help me help you!).
                    Right? For example, this lady came up to get some fabric cut, and started saying that she'd "been asking for this for YEARS! Everyone said you don't carry it, but here it is! Silk organza!" If she had asked me if we carried silk organza, I'd have said no, we don't carry that by the yard. That was what all the other employees must have thought, too. What did she have? She had a package that said "sheer press cloth." Yup, she asked for silk organza, and wanted a press cloth MADE OF silk organza.

Now, I often can translate these kind of questions, but I'm not a mind reader. Oh, and she went showed all my CWs this magical package. I haaaate when people have to rub my face in the fact that I didn't know something. I just think, you work here, you try to memorize everything we carry, learn how to help 3 people at once, and psychically know how to give directions to the most clueless of shoppers.
                    Last edited by notalwaysright; 10-07-2016, 08:00 PM.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      Right? For example, this lady came up to get some fabric cut, and started saying that she'd "been asking for this for YEARS! Everyone said you don't carry it, but here it is! Silk organza!" If she had asked me if we carried silk organza, I'd have said no, we don't carry that by the yard. That was what all the other employees must have thought, too. What did she have? She had a package that said "sheer press cloth." Yup, she asked for silk organza, and wanted a press cloth MADE OF silk organza.

Now, I often can translate these kind of questions, but I'm not a mind reader. Oh, and she went showed all my CWs this magical package. I haaaate when people have to rub my face in the fact that I didn't know something. I just think, you work here, you try to memorize everything we carry, learn how to help 3 people at once, and psychically know how to give directions to the most clueless of shoppers.
                      Yeah, with this idiot I would have told her flat out "We don't carry it BY THE YARD. You never specified that you wanted a press cloth made of it!" *sigh* I'd be fired.

What the hell is wrong with a press cloth made of cotton or something? Is there any advantage to using silk? Hell, I've used a bandanna!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        Yeah, with this idiot I would have told her flat out "We don't carry it BY THE YARD. You never specified that you wanted a press cloth made of it!" *sigh* I'd be fired.

What the hell is wrong with a press cloth made of cotton or something? Is there any advantage to using silk? Hell, I've used a bandanna!
                        Silk organza can take super high temps without scorching. Plus it's sheer, so you can see through it and notice if your seam slips, or if you need to adjust your hem.
                        The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Working...
                        X