This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more SCO tales

This is why I think I should start carrying a 'spy pen' camera, to catch crap like this (if nothing else so that I can use it to make an accurate retelling of the crazy).

This happened on Wednesday night, so I wasn't really in a mood to take any shit from anyone.

Last week we were having a BOGO sale on Thomas english muffins. They have two pack sizes; the usual six-pack and larger 'sandwich size' that are four to a package. The sandwich size are never included in the bogo sales. We also have an open bin for the shelf overflow back in dairy.

It's late at night. SC starts yelling at the closing cashier, so I go over. Note that I was given zero indication that she needed help.

Me:
    SC: duh
    A: cashier
    P: shift lead who's as fed up with the whole thing as I am, she's only there to get retirement and we keep each other from choking someone
    F: MOD who takes no shit from anyone and has my back
    SC starts in screaming and overenunciating as if I'm severely disabled...how in the hell did she reach that conclusion? Okay, minimum help that gets you out of our hair as quickly as possible.

SC: "These are buy one get one but they're not coming off!"
    First thing I see is that she has the sandwich size 4-pack, and she's still on the 'scan items' screen.
    Me: "Buy one get one sale discounts will come off at the end, but I can tell you now the sandwich size are not part of that sale."
    SC: "They are on sale, they were in the bin!"
    Ah, the magic bin...where I doubt there are any more four-packs and even if there were I need to check the actual tags (even though I put them up).
    Me: "I need to check the shelf, it's policy. I'll be right back."
    As predicted, there were no four-packs in the bin, and no BOGO tag on the shelf slot. I pick up two of the six-packs just so I can get her out quickly if she wants to swap.
    SC is again yelling at A. "I sent that girl to prove I'm right [yes she said this] five minutes ago! [more like 45 seconds] You can give me the sale, right? [A wisely answers no, only a manager can do that and for all SC knows I am a manager] I can't believe this! You are wasting my time!" [shift lead P who is in an aisle watching mouths 'what about ours?']

Me: "The six-packs are on sale. The four packs must have been dumped in the bin by someone."
    SC: "Well you can honor it however you want, but you're wasting my time! The tag says buy one get one and they're not ringing up so I get both for free!"
    Me: [You wasted your own damn time, I'm done] "We did not put them in the wrong place. I cannot and will not authorize a sale that doesn't exist."
    SC: "Fine! I don't want them then!"
    Before she can say anything else, I void the muffins and go to take them back. I manage to grab one pack; SC buried the second one way down in the bag while I was checking the shelf...why didn't she hide both? I narrowly miss getting rammed by her cart as she runs out.

Five minutes later, F fields a call and calls me over.
    F: "A woman says she was in here ten minutes ago [nope, no more than two] and she bought two packs of english muffins and one is missing."
    I explain the situation, and that I took the muffins back because she said she didn't want them and I was wasting her time. "She walked out with one of them as she had buried them in her bag and I didn't want to get my wrist broken as she ran off; she did hit me with her cart. So she's going to ask for something that's not even on her receipt."
    F: "She just told me she doesn't have her receipt."
    P: "Oh, that's convenient."

She calls back two more times before closing. Luckily I was wearing my 'experimental' name tag (started on April Fools Day to see how long I can get away with it before Shithead notices, it's blank with a generic 8-bit alien sticker) so she doesn't know my real name.

Next day I ask F what happened.
    F: "Oh, her. She was supposed to come back with her receipt."
    Me: "The receipt that she couldn't find and doesn't even have the muffins on it? If she wants to say she's missing one she'll have to admit she walked out with one."
    F: "Yup. I've been here all day and never saw her. She could have gotten 'helped' by [Shithead] or P2 [spaceshot manager]; if they try to drag you into it I'll deal with them."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Cast as usual. M is running the desk and L is handling the front end and cash office.

SCO again, yesterday.

SC is holding a bottle of the 'fancy' variant of a brand salad dressing, it's only sold in an 8-ounce for over $2 and is rarely on sale. Again, I did not put up any tags for that brand this week.
    SC: "This is two for three dollar and it's ringing up at $2.39!"
    Me: "I'll be right back, I need to check the shelf."
    As predicted, I see a 2/$4 tag on the same-size regular Italian variety, but no 2/$3 tags.
    SC (I HATE when they follow me): "See? 2 for 3!" She finds a two-month-old sale tag behind a clip-on shelf, rips the tag down...but only the red part comes off. From that, there's no indication which item or even which aisle it came from.

Me: "I cannot authorize a price change, you need to pay and go to the desk." [knowing that SC has no way to prove that sale tag even came from that item] "Do you want the dressing that is on sale?"
    SC: "Yes, I want the one that's on sale." Void the fancy dressing and scan the regular one.
    SC: "No, I want the one on sale! This one! *tries to grab the fancy one out of my hand*
    Me: "The regular one is on sale."
    SC: "I don't want that one!"
    Some lady at the register next to this one is starting to scream "CAN I GET SOME HELP HERE" so I want to wrap this one up quick. By now SC has already paid and gotten a receipt...which does not include either dressing.
    Me: "Go to the desk and they can figure it out."

I take both dressings and the tag over to the desk. Quickly fill M in on what's happening, then deal with the screamer (she didn't know what a honeydew melon looked like). After I sort that out I go up and ask M what happened.
    M: "I have no idea. I didn't give it to her; that tag's too old and I don't even know it came from a dressing."
    L: "She does this all the time. She's still in the store looking for more old tags so she can get shit for free."

Then I notify Pricing Guru that someone is going around the store ripping down shelf tags. He hates that.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-05-2015, 03:39 AM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

This is why when I worked for a big name store vendor we were specifically requested to remove all old tags from our shelves whenever we made a price change. The shelves were of the variety where the front could be removed and you could slide price tags in and out without having to stick them on the front (made less of a mess) and folk loved to rip the fronts off to look for lower price tags that they could then use as proof that the item was on sale.

Comment

My predecessor on tags made double-sure every single expired tag was taken down during the closing shift before the new ones went up overnight. Now, apparently that's also my job (if I only get half the box done, it's because I waste a good portion of that week's tagging shift pulling down old ones). The record has to be a tag I found from last July...last week

Typical for this store, too many bodies and they don't crosstrain enough people (how much training do you need to pull down tags, just check the dates) or severely short the shift that needs to pull tags. Our old tags were designed better; weeklies were one color and multi-weeks were another so it was stupidly easy to pull the weekly tags most times (just look for the one color).

*personally, I'd go back to the old system..or just ditch printing entirely and do e-ink tags that can be updated with a few clicks*

Comment

Name tag

It seem people only read name tags to get you in trouble.

As a computer tech it was a firing offense not to wear a name tag while we were servicing schools when they were open with students in them.

I have no problem with that policy, after-all who want random people wandering around a school with no ID.

But I did not think people were properly checking ID tags, they just say a tag and assume you should be there.

So I changed my tag to read the "The Unknown Tech", over a four year period I was called on the name only three times! No read the tags unless they want to try and make your job a problem.

Comment

We've had suits in the store on and off over the last few weeks...not one has noticed my lack of a real name tag. Or if they have, nobody has said anything to me about it.

I have about four nametags that I can rotate if I'm feeling evil; nothing like having an SC try to lodge a complaint about "Terry on selfscan", I can swap tags while my back is turned 'checking the register' so by the time the desk girl finishes saying "There's no Terry here" they're flailing uselessly on not seeing the name they want

Comment

Working...
          X