This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "So exactly how many is a few?"

For this summer I'm working for a friends catering business as a small side gig. It's a bit of extra money and doesn't take too much of my time, so win-win.

Of course with a catering business, one of his biggest times is wedding season. He's been at this for years, has a degree and knows what he's doing.

I just got through my second wedding with his company and boy what a doozy. It started off easily enough. My friend had a contract signed in advance covering anything you could possibly think of and a deposit. The bride to be had told us there would be about 200 people attending. Fair enough. So we set about making food and other preparations for 200 people.

A week before the wedding, we get a call from the Father of the bride (FOB) who evidently is paying for things and he wants to know if it would be huge problem to prep food for "A few" more people than originally planned.

This triggered a lengthy conversation between him and the owner over the actual meaning of "few". You see, at first, the FOB didn't want to commit to an actual number. Since "few" could be 3, 10, 25 and on up, that wouldn't fly. My friend needed a number. A relatively firm number. Finally FOB decides that "a few" apparently would be around 20 more people.

Ok, not a problem. We'll just make a bit more food and the owner will increase the final invoice a small amount to cover the last minute additions.

We got the prep done smoothly and everything was going fine until the actual day of the wedding. When we show up, our faces look like this:

The reason being there is EASILY over a HUNDRED more people here than we anticipated!

Problem. BIG Problem.

So we track down and FOB and explain. Cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth about how we came "unprepared" and how we're going to ruin his daughters special day.

The reality is we only have X amount of food. There's no way for us to magically pull more meals out of our asses. So we do the only thing we can think to do given the circumstances: Ration out whatever we have to try and make sure everyone gets at least something to eat.

As a result of that, most folks ended up with smaller portions that you'd at expect at a wedding, which led to complaining, which led to us to telling the perturbed guests to take it up with FOB because we had no advance notice that SO many people would be there.

We survive the night, thank god, pack up and go home.

The story gets better though. FOB is now refusing to pay the remainder of the balance because of our "substandard" and "inadequate" service and rude demeanor (I was there the whole night, not one of us was anything but professional which was pretty impressive given the circumstances). He also had a laundry list of complaints about the food. Now my friend has a culinary degree. He KNOWS how to cook and he's very careful about his wedding meal prep. No way in hell there was anything wrong with that food.

My friend says he has a signed contract and FOB needs to pay up. FOB is still refusing. Friend/owner is now taking the matter up with a lawyer.

I'll post updates to this as I get them.
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 04-06-2015, 12:52 AM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

As someone currently planning a wedding, I know always be upfront about the number of guests, always read contracts, and always adhere to contracts.

Comment

Quoth TexasT View Post
      As someone currently planning a wedding, I know always be upfront about the number of guests, always read contracts, and always adhere to contracts.
      I think ALL of us here would be aware of that.

Having said that though, what the hell is wrong with saying "no" for a wedding these days?! Hell, even one of my former coworkers said that she considered me a friend, but didn't invite me to her wedding because she'd finalised the guest list well before we really got to know one another! (We lost contact when I moved, but she was an awesome lady to work with )
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth TexasT View Post
        My cousin knew how many people were coming to his wedding, heck he even had a few extra seats just in case!
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Part of the problem is that when an invitation is addressed to "Mrs. Smith," she'll take it to mean, "Mr. Smith, Mrs. Smith, the four kids, and everyone gets a +1." Only one unexpected guest showed up to my wedding, and the friend who invited him called to give us a heads-up first, saying it was his only way to get there.
          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I know someone whose parents-in-law secretly invited some 100 extra people to his wedding without telling ANYONE, including the bride and groom! This resulted in the reception space being too small for fire code, not enough food, and all around a very tense and horrible experience for everyone. And, of course, the parents didn't take any of the blame, claiming the vendors and hosts should have accounted for this possibility.

When I got married, it was quite clear that they didn't want a rounded out number. They wanted an exact number of the expected head count at least 2 weeks prior, and if there was any estimation, it would be an overestimate rather than an underestimate. Maybes and unsent RSVP's were counted as 'yes' and if we were short a few people, that only meant more food for everyone else. If more than the expected number showed up, it would be considered a breach of contract and they had contingencies for that which would have made the wedding considerably more expensive than it already was.
            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
            Fiancee: What?!
            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
              I know someone whose parents-in-law secretly invited some 100 extra people to his wedding without telling ANYONE, including the bride and groom! This resulted in the reception space being too small for fire code, not enough food, and all around a very tense and horrible experience for everyone.
              It sounds like the OP was trying to avoid this sort of nonsense.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

It sounds like the FOB tried to pull a fast one on the caterer. He wanted to only pay for a certain amount of people, but he wanted catering for a much larger amount. He thought he could force the caterer to provide it the day of the event. FOB has no idea how catering an event (not in house) works.
                Have an event at a large venue with their own kitchens? They might have enough stuff to accomodate that many extras (but they'll still charge for the extras, doofus).
                But an event where the caterer is bringing all the food to the venue?
                This is a case where you should be able to tack on "Idiot-Douchebag" fees.

Comment

A lot of brides and grooms seem to forget that even if someone flew five hours and drove another two, got a room at a fancy hotel, and bought a really nice gift, you're allowed to tell them to get out. That's why ushers/security/police officer uncles are always a good idea.
                  The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I just hope that the catering company doesn't have trouble collecting from FOB, and if they have to go to court tack on legal fees and fines.

Comment

I wonder how this person can argue with the signed contract? I mean, I don't doubt that he will, but how will he say it in court? "I shouldn't have to pay because the food was bad" would be hard to prove I think.

I couldn't work in anything wedding related. It would kill me. I don't even like dealing with most brides. (Obviously I mean SUCKY brides. Bridezillas. Evil wenches. Not you nice ones, okay?) I had one woman bring me some floral fabric. She certainly didn't want to buy that fabric, heavens no! She wanted me to show her fabric which was a specific shade of one of the flowers. When I showed her the bridal fabric and the color wasn't there she asked to order it, and I had to say that we can't because we don't carry it. When I suggested she get it custom dyed, from a bridal shop, she exclaimed "I'm here because I want it CHEAP!"

I'll leave you with one word. Burlap.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Yeah, I want to cater a wedding, I'm expecting about 60 people so I'll need 2 pounds of cold cuts... yeah, what's your cheapest price? ... Uh-huh...And what kind of animal would that be?... Well, 12 cents a pound's pretty steep... Anyway, could you throw in some beaks and claws?... You got a deal!
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

One of my best friends does wedding catering, and has seen this scenario way too many times.

Her favorite tactic? Email everything. Even if it's to document a phone conversation. So if this had been her, when she got off the phone she would have immediately sent an email: This is just to confirm you're adding 20 more people at a cost of $xxx. If this is not satisfactory email me right back.

It drives her nuts that she has to do this but she now feels she has no choice. Also, full payment is due before the first green bean is plated. She's actually had to go to the extent of starting to load the food back on the truck before the wedding party coughs up the dough, so now, she usually requires payment a week or two in advance.

Every time she has relented on this, her clients tried to renegotiate down the amount due or just flat-out refused to pay after the event. Every. Single. Time.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            I couldn't work in anything wedding related. It would kill me. I don't even like dealing with most brides. (Obviously I mean SUCKY brides. Bridezillas. Evil wenches. Not you nice ones, okay?)
                            On the flipside, some people will wind up ringing up places and saying that they want <X> for a wedding and then get told some astronomical price, yet if they ring up and say it's for a function of some kind, it gets quoted to be much cheaper. I pity the poor bastard on the phone who handles that kind of crap, since they are just literally quoting whatever the hell they've been told to quote.

It wouldn't surprise me though if some of that jacked-up cost WAS due to bridezillas and picky couples. Makes it harder for the rest of us to get married (My partner and I decided that if we ever do, we're going to do it at a medieval fair )
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Sadly, it may end up being cheaper to eat the cost than to go to court. Unless of the FOB brings suit first of course, at which point you've no option but to return salvo with the family.
                              But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                              And it's not what I wanted to be
                              The weight on me
                              Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Working...
                              X