Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Spring! Time for the assholes to bloom.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Spring! Time for the assholes to bloom.

Background: Professional Quilter.

So it's spring, and one of the things that happens is the cheap assholes come out and harass me. No spring shows this year so at least the abuse isn't face to face.

Last night I received an all caps profanity filled email from a potential client claiming that I was "ignoring" her emails. Apparently responding within 30 minutes is ignoring.

At the same time I was dealing with an angry lady on Facebook who wanted me to price match to another local quilter who is known for her shoddy (but cheap!) work. I responded by saying that I do quality work and price it accordingly. Cue another all caps profanity rant.

This morning I woke up to another email offering me $50 on a $500 quilt. When I reminded them that the price was indeed $500 and the quilt was worth every penny of that, I was called a "Scamming Jew Bastard". Luckily this happened through Etsy, so I notified Etsy about his behavior.

And then when I get home from working at the school, I find out that my dad has emptied out my college fund account, again.

Background info on the college fund account - it was set up when I was a child to pay for college. When I was 18 my parents decided that I wasn't going to attend collage, drained the account and gave the money to my younger sister. I went to college and paid my own way. The account stayed open and my dad felt guilty and put money back in. Now he's taken it all again. It's a savings account basically, and my parents and I are joint owners. Any of us can put money in or take it out. I am contacting the bank to see if I can have the account closed.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

You can have the account closed as you are named on it and over the age of 18.

Better to not have "joint" anything or cosigned anything if that stuff is going on. If it ever gets over drawn or goes into default, it will mess with your credit.

Just my two cents, though... Good luck with your quilts, and don't let the cheapos get you down.

By the way, can you PM me your Etsy? I want to start redoing the bedroom, and I think a nice big quilt will be a perfect start.
    Why is stupidity not an arrestable offense?

Comment

Quoth redsox33413's sig
      Why is stupidity not an arrestable offense?
      Aren't our jails overcrowded enough?

Back on topic.

RE: the guy who called you a scamming ethnic epithet--I don't know if I should admire the chutzpah (hah!) or pity the stupidity that goes into demanding a 90% discount on a handmade quilt.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Irv, part of me really wanted to redline his email.

Scamming, nope, trying to earn an honest living. I also am not Jewish, and my parents were married for most of my childhood. Wrong on all counts.

Comment

lol... I've been waiting for a bakery to respond to my e-mail for 2 days. To their minimal credit, their automated reply said it would take 1-3 days. You know how I picked my wedding cake vendor? The only person to respond in one day. 30 minutes would be AMAZING to me.

Comment

If I ever did something craftsy to sell, I'd be the one to put for every item "I put X many hours of work into this, spent $Y, and I'm selling it for $Z. Don't ask for a discount."

Sadly, though, I'm not craftsy.
            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

It seems to be the age-old problem --- "But I can get these quilts at Voldemart for thirty bucks!" ...Nooooo....you can get some quilts there for thirty bucks. They're easy to identify, they're the ones where not all of the threads are aligned, nor even actually all stitched in, half the time. You want hand-made quality, you PAY for handmade quality, or GTFO to make room for paying customers.

Seconded on closing that account. Preferably after the next time he feels guilty and refills it...
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Dad will come visit over the weekend, so I'll have a talk with him about it. That account had a nice chunk of change in it.

One of my friends says: You know the difference between a real quilt and a fake quilt? Real quilts don't have that "do not remove" tag on them.

Comment

Oh hell no. The only thing I have ever discounted anything I've made (jewelry maker here) was for co-workers and only then because, well, I like my co-workers. Everyone else? Yes that necklace is $20.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

GIMMIE IT CHEAP! NOW! OR YOU'RE A SCAMMER!!!!!

Now that's SCism distilled to a potency that will soon prove lethal if the fumes are inhaled.....
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I knit and it is unbelievable how people think you will make something for them for free. I do make baby blankets as gifts, but I have had people say "Oh can you make me one of those?". Sure you want hat/gloves/shawl/cowl/blanket? Let's go pick out the yarn you want and I charge between $20-$50 for the actual work. Oh the whine flows! "I have to buy the yarn???? Don't you just have some laying around?? You want paid for the work? How much work can it be?" That is when I inform them that I will gladly teach them to knit so they can whip out an 8 color cowl in, say oh..10 minutes (2 weeks) or a pair of cabled fingerless gloves (at least a weekend if I have no other plans). And of course, they want crap yarn from Wally World..sorry, my fingers will not touch that crap nor their cheap metal needles.
                      Last edited by registerrodeo; 04-10-2015, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Email

It is my PERSONAL policy that there is no such thing as a private email to me.

I never post anything I not willing to stand up for even if it goes to court.

And if you send me email, it is my property once it enters my computer - I am more than willing to PUBLICLY post any email attacking me to show what you said.

There is no law protecting email as private communication and thus if you show your ugly side to me, I will show it to everyone.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          It seems to be the age-old problem --- "But I can get these quilts at Voldemart for thirty bucks!" ...Nooooo....you can get some quilts there for thirty bucks. They're easy to identify, they're the ones where not all of the threads are aligned, nor even actually all stitched in, half the time.
                          Or made of nasty, scratchy, cheap polyester that falls apart in the washer or melts in the dryer. Whereas Kanalah's quilts are made of beautiful, soft cotton fabric, are comfy to wrap yourself in, far more durable and frequently feature an amazing design (loved the elephant quilt!)
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I cannot for the life of me understand why people get pissed about the price of things they don't HAVE to buy. Food prices, and maybe even gas prices (if you live in an area where you can't use public transport to get to work) I can understand, but a QUILT? A handmade quilt is a luxury. You don't NEED a quilt. You can go to the thrift store and get blankets for a few bucks that will keep you nice and warm. If you don't want to pay the cost of quality, there's a simple solution: don't buy. Then again, maybe it's just because I'm supporting a disabled husband, myself, and our three pets with a retail checker job. You learn the difference between "want" and "need" real quick in that situation.

PS: We have a very old handmade quilt we got at a garage sale. I love it, but it's falling apart. Any suggestions on how to patch it?
                            Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 04-10-2015, 03:32 AM.
                            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

All-caps email filled with profanity? Delete and block. No other response is warranted.

Definitely assholes.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X