Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The short story "It's a Good Life", by Jerome Bixby, is truly horrifying. I haven't seen the episode yet. Interestingly, the short story was included in a Hitchcock anthology, and that guy also knew how to tell a creepy story. Too bad we never had a Serling/Hitchcock cooperation!

And, yes, Night Gallery was truly weird.

Comment

What I remember is having to walk home alone through the back yards and fields after the Friday Night WTFathon of Twilight Zone, Nightmare Theatre & Outer Limits...
      Last edited by dalesys; 04-28-2012, 01:04 PM.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I liked "crazy as a soup sandwich" from the reboot series
        Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
        Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
        Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

My favourite is "One More Pallbearer," in which a rich but bitter and vindictive man tries to get three people, who he feels wrong him long ago, to apologize -- it backfires on him badly.

Second favourite is "The Midnight Sun," which had a neat twist at the end.

Quoth morgana View Post
          I was in a college literature class a bunch of years ago where each of us had to read a story to the class. That was the one I chose. Had a couple of people crying by the end.

I'm no longer Catholic myself, but that one gets to me every time.

ETA: As for Twilight Zone? Too many to count. That was one amazing show; way ahead of its time.
          True enough! I've seen some of the newer TZ episodes but they seem to be fixated on ensuring a "happy" ending. The original one didn't have that.

Speaking of heartbreaker stories, have you ever read "The Cold Equations" by Tom Godwin? It was made into a TV movie, which wasn't bad, but (not surprisingly) wasn't as good as the story.

Comment

What was the title of the episode with the all powerful kid?
            Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

I think it was "It's a Good Life."

Whoops, got it mixed up with "It's a Wonderful Life," LOL.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                I think it was "It's a Good Life."

Whoops, got it mixed up with "It's a Wonderful Life," LOL.
                The reboot that had Forrest Whitaker did a sequal to that episode, as well
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBEJKymuk6k

Comment

My favourite is "One More Pallbearer," in which a rich but bitter and vindictive man tries to get three people, who he feels wrong him long ago, to apologize -- it backfires on him badly.
                  Wonderful episode, one of my favorites.

True enough! I've seen some of the newer TZ episodes but they seem to be fixated on ensuring a "happy" ending. The original one didn't have that.
                  I wouldn't say that, at least the 2002 series had a few that weren't happy: "One Night at Mercy", "How Much Do You Love Your Kid", and "It's Still a Good Life" off the top of my head.

Speaking of heartbreaker stories, have you ever read "The Cold Equations" by Tom Godwin? It was made into a TV movie, which wasn't bad, but (not surprisingly) wasn't as good as the story.
                  There was an 80's TZ episode of the same name, too.

SC

Quoth Andrew B. View Post
                  What was the title of the episode with the all powerful kid?
                  "It's a Good Life" starring Billy Mumy of Lost in Space fame.

SC
                  Last edited by Dave1982; 04-29-2012, 12:42 PM.
                  "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I always liked "nothing in the dark " starring a young actor named Robert Redford. I wonder if that guy had a long career?

Comment

Working...
                    X