This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tinfoil Hat Chronicles

I hate long calls in general. Lemme get that out in the open first, because this call took about an hour when it was a fifteen-minute issue including a dispatch.

That said, there's two types of long calls I usually end up getting because I'm sure our automated system hates all our asses at the call center: the 'speak with five departments just to correct something' long call, which is the lesser of the two evils, and the 'do I still have an ear, and if I do, why does it feel like freshly-cooked bacon?' call where the caller doesn't even let you get a word in edgewise. I'm not even going to post the entire (barely memorized) transcript because I'm letting my brain regenerate, but here's the general gist of things.

The caller's computer had repeatedly been giving him problems because somehow, when he downloaded something off of our website (supposedly), it upgraded him to IE9. IE8 allowed him about twenty or so tabs before his system locked up, and to be quite honest, twenty tabs open at any time is either a job requirement that involves multitasking or the biggest cry for help ever, but with IE9, somehow he's only able to open three tabs before his system ragequits on him. In addition to that, his service itself is about as stable as a coked-up badger.

It took him half an hour to tell me all of that, nine times over, without apparently breathing. This guy had somehow mastered the art of droning on and holds the only 7th degree black belt in it. At least the time he took to tell me about his two problems eighteen times with a singer's breath control gave me a chance to look at his line itself to try to figure out why it's not holding a signal for longer than an hour at a time.

Then comes the part where I tell him he needs a tech to come out. Okay, he seems alright with the idea that anything between service terminal and side of the house is on us. Okay, he's not happy with the chance of a charge if it's his inside wiring at fault; understandable and easy to sympathize with. Okay... wait, he's protesting the possibly of a free modem swap? The fuck?

I explain to him the reasoning behind the chance that it's gonna cost him: the ISP provides the signal and the equipment, but not his house's wiring itself; that falls under homeowner/landlord responsibility according to his ToS. Okay, that makes sense. He's still pissed, but at least he's an informed kind of pissed. I segue into the fact that the modem counts as 'something we provided him' which is why it's free, but he still doesn't want us to come inside and now he threatens to cancel.

And to think I'd gone a whole month without headdesking up until this point.

Then the crowner: He says he's running a business and losing money. Now I'm lost. I don't mention that part of the ToS because at least at this point, he's letting me get maybe one or two syllables in edgewise, but I sympathize with him about that because, you know, call center, must take calls to get paid. So I let him know that once the tech gets there, he could always refuse the call and cancel his ticket with us if the tech even wants to step inside.

Praise the ones who discovered caffeine as an energy booster, he finally got it. Exeunt caller, exeunt ZW for a much needed cigarette. I honestly have no fucking clue what happened, but I'm pretty sure he's gonna cancel as soon as he tries to put that kind of mentality into effect once the tech gets there.
    My other car is a Mackinaw.

I heard the theme from the Twilight Zone reading about this guy!

Comment

One way to deal with service charges for your inside phone wiring . . .

Carry the maintenance plan on your home phone. If it's not mentioned by a customer service rep, then ask about it. It's only a few dollars per month but will save you a TON of money should you have issues with either your phone line or jacks. We discovered that last summer when we were having static and popping sounds on our home phone line - Mom called, tech was dispatched and found the problem, which turned out to be the line that connects our house to the phone pole had been chewed almost all the way through.

And if your ISP offers one, take it. Turned out mine (Blue Ball DSL, which I also have home phone through) came with such a plan (I have the 2nd highest tier DSL w/home networking PLUS home phone, so it's all on one bill each month.)

Came in so handy Labor Day weekend when I was having issues with the wireless signal working intermittently out here in the office. So, instead of racking my brain trying to figure out what was causing it, I made a simple phone call to Tech Support.

Turned out my modem was waay outdated (had a westell wireless modem that was almost 6 years old and Blue Ball doesn't even support anymore.) Tech told me I was eligible for a new free modem.

Needless to say, I jumped on that one . . . although I knew I had the wiring plan with the home phone, I had forgotten they had something similar with the DSL equipment (but then it's been almost 6 years since we signed up for DSL anyways.)

Sweet. Order was placed on Tuesday (they were closed Monday for Labor Day) and my modem arrived on Thursday.

One phone call with Tech Support to finish getting it set up (IE would only let me get so far on my own then displayed a cannot open this page error) and I had everything up and running with the new Netgear.

SC dude in the OP is denser than Mom's pound cake recipe. He deliberately made things harder on himself than just shutting his trap and listening to what the tech had to say.
      Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
        I'm letting my brain regenerate...

...his service itself is about as stable as a coked-up badger.
        Okay, either I'm more hungover than I realized, or these are two of the funniest lines I've seen on this site in a while.

I'm betting on the second, as I'm pretty sure I am as hungover as I think I am.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

"...as stable as a coked-up badger."

Quoth Jester View Post
          I'm betting on the second, as I'm pretty sure I am as hungover as I think I am.
          Yeah, it's a good one. And already committed to memory, as you can see.

Thanks Zed!

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
            IE8 allowed him about twenty or so tabs before his system locked up, and to be quite honest, twenty tabs open at any time is either a job requirement that involves multitasking or the biggest cry for help ever
            I can do you one or two better...

I tend to open each thread I want to read on forums (like here) in separate tabs (20-30 at once is normal for me), read them all, then close the tabs again, bringing me back down to one >_>

An old friend of mine, however, takes the cake. He found an extension for FireFox -- which is a notorious memory hog as it is -- that allows him to maintain upwards of five HUNDRED open tabs simultaneously...and he normally exceeds this by quite a bit. Not because of a job or whatever, he just prefers to keep everything at his fingertips. Of course, this makes his system lag like crazy...Last time I checked, he had 1 GB of RAM, a 90+% full hard drive even with constant backing-up-and-deleting (and downloading), and he never turns the damn thing off (Hibernate only). And he gets frustrated when I tell him that pretty much ALL of those things need to change if he wants a computer that responds in anything resembling real time >_< Smart guy IRL, but a tad short sighted in some ways...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
              IE8 allowed him about twenty or so tabs before his system locked up, and to be quite honest, twenty tabs open at any time is either a job requirement that involves multitasking or the biggest cry for help ever, but with IE9, somehow he's only able to open three tabs before his system ragequits on him.
              If he's anything like me, he was on TV Tropes, and even then, 20 tabs isn't enough.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

SSD

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                If he's anything like me, he was on TV Tropes, and even then, 20 tabs isn't enough.
                TV Tropes and Sucky Customers is why my net-books have SSDs to overcome swapping delays. Even with 2GBs you end up with lots of swapping if you have a week's worth of tabs open in Sucky Customers.

Comment

Working...
                X