This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth shopgirl15 View Post
    At least at the chocolate store I used to work at we were allowed to take home the chocolate dipped fruit (we made those daily).
    Back when I worked banquets at a hotel in Phoenix, whenever we had buffets we would be allowed to bring home any leftover food we wanted to. Anytime there were chocolate-covered strawberries, I would bring them home for my girlfriend. And when I say she loved them, I mean her reaction to them was equivalent to my cat's reaction whenever I brought home sea bass.

Yeah. I brought those strawberries home for a REASON.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
      You would think they could be kept in a cooler to be given to a shelter or something to be reheated, or at least set out for employees to get a free snack.

I definitely have moral issues with throwing out perfectly good food.
      We asked the same thing at my first job (pizza pizza). We were told "no" because they felt it would encourage us to make mistakes in order to score free pizza.

And to be honest, I understand where they're coming from. There are some who would abuse it and ruin it for everyone else.
      Last edited by PepperElf; 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        We asked the same thing at my first job (pizza pizza). We were told "no" because they felt it would encourage us to make mistakes in order to score free pizza.
        Reminds me of (and I probably told the story before) a few people I worked with at the college a long time back who got a cleaning contract with one of the (pizza pizza) full-size restaurants. If they felt like pizza, they'd call under a fake name and number and order about 30-40 minutes before their shift. When they came in to clean, they would have a fresh, hot, free pizza waiting for them.

I heard later on that they got dropped from the contract when one of them was caught taking booze. I can definitely see why rules to throw out food are in place.

Comment

This is part of why working for 'Daddy Jims' pizza was reasonably cool -- we could make our own pizzas any time it wasn't particularly busy, for free, within reason (4 in a day? fine. 20 in one day? uh, no). We just had to have a manager ring it up and discount it down to zero for inventory purposes.

We used this to make all sorts of stuff that wasn't on the menu. Naturally, when the chicken strips were introduced, the first thing we did with the first bag was to...uh..."quality test" the strips themselves , and then set to work making BBQ chicken pizzas, years before the company itself thought to offer them ^_^

We also did fun stuff like making a large & topping it with an overstretched small dough to make a nice big pizza-pot-pie type of thing.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

AND WHERE are you?????
            Directly above the center of the earth.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
            X