This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flighty Customers

I’ve got a few stories from the last week or so. Maybe it was the hot weather, but last Thursday seemed to be the day for customers to threaten to move their accounts elsewhere.

Flighty Customer #1
    Threatened to move his account elsewhere because he was overdrawn for the first time in 10 years. As if that was the bank’s fault.

I compared his ledger to our records and found that he had written four checks in twice, forgot to write one check in, and didn’t write in his insurance premiums or his monthly fee. The icing on this fail cake was that he had addition errors every 2-3 checks in his ledger. The only thing I could do was tell him where he should be based on the balance we had for him.

He kept repeating, "I don't understand how this happened." I almost feel sorry for him because he's starting to get senile. We finally got his son (who's on the account) in to explain that his dad needs help maintaining his account.

Flighty Customer #2
    Threatened to move his account elsewhere because his ATM card didn’t work. We had just purged off cards that hadn’t been used in six months. But of course the customer claimed he had just used it last month. I offered to order him a new card, which takes 1-2 weeks. He said, “I might have to get a card elsewhere, but I’ll think about it.”

Flighty Customer #3
    Came in to get a document notarized. I asked for ID (luckily, he didn’t complain about that) and told him we charge $1 for notary service. Then I looked at the document. It had places for him and his wife to sign, and she had already signed it. So I refused to notarize it. I explained that if she comes in, I can have her sign a piece of scratch paper and compare the signatures, then I can still notarize it. He was ok with that, but then he complained about the fee.

SC: We’ve had that account 30 years, and we’ve never paid fees!
    Me: When the bank changed hands, they changed the fee structure on all accounts.
    I gave him a brochure that shows him what he gets for free with his account, and it’s not much. He suggests that he might change banks if he can’t get everything for free.

Later, he came back with his wife. I was busy with SC #1 (again), so they go to CW. CW asks for ID, which they gripe about. Then CW asks the wife to sign some scratch paper.
    SW: <shouting>What are you going to do with that?!?
    CW: Shred it.

Then CW doesn’t charge them, just to get them out of her face. I guess I can’t blame her.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND!
    This customer is all that much more difficult to deal with because she’s a former coworker and friend of the branch manager. She stopped in Friday afternoon to ask about renewing her CD-secured loan. She agreed to dollar amounts for the new CD and loan. She agreed to the rates I quoted for both. She just wanted to double-check with her husband, and would call me Tuesday morning to verify it.

She called Tuesday afternoon. Verified that what she told me Friday was correct and made an appointment for 10am the next day.

They came in at 10am. I had everything ready for them. Then the husband balks at the loan rate. I ask the branch manager if we can do better. She says yes, to do 2% over the CD rate. I change the rate, but then the husband asks us to extend the time. I run three different amortizations, and they finally pick one after hemming and hawing for a while. I reprint the new CD and half the loan documents.

Now that we’ve agreed to their terms, they act like they’re in a hurry. I go through the documents as fast as possible, hoping I don’t miss anything.

What time?
    Today, a customer came in to open a safe deposit box.
    SC: Can I pick the box number?
    Me: I suppose so. Which one do you want?
    SC: 420.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Quoth Ghel View Post
    He was ok with that, but then he complained about the fee.
    A fee which, of course, is probably less than the gas it takes to get back with the wife.

Quoth Ghel View Post
    What time?
    "Sorry, that's already taken by a Mr. Dale Denton"
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
      He kept repeating, "I don't understand how this happened." I almost feel sorry for him because he's starting to get senile. We finally got his son (who's on the account) in to explain that his dad needs help maintaining his account.
      I do feel sorry for him. Senile dementia/senility/Alzheimer's are just horrible. Losing your mind and independence, bit by bit. I hope the son will get his dad the help he needs.
      Quoth Ghel View Post
      What time?
      Oh, aren't you just the epitome of wit and cleverness. I'm sure you're the first one to think of that one.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

He was, actually, the first person to ever request a specific number for a safe deposit box from me.

What I thought was really funny was that none of my coworkers got the reference when I repeated the story to them.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

If he had never paid fees, and it was the same account...
          it's entirely possible that it is illegal for your bank to be charging him account fees. If the original documentation he signed stated that x, y, and z was included, and he did not agree to fees being instated, then the bank is, in effect, breaking the contract by charging fees. That is why I don't pay fees on my bank account; I had it before banks started thinking they were cell phone companies and charging fees left right and centre. Don't want to go into fratching; I just preferred the business model whereby banks invested my money, made a ton off of it, gave me a teeny fraction of what they made, and called it even, without charging extra fees. Your customer may be the same.
          Of course, that's not YOUR fault. Yelling at you changes nothing. Asking intelligent questions might get him somewhere!

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post

Then CW doesn’t charge them, just to get them out of her face. I guess I can’t blame her
            Children get moody unless they get what

When you give in next time they want something... sad but true

Comment

That may be the case, GuardingMyLife, but all the banking agreements I've seen provide for the bank to change the agreement with something like a month's notice. I got my first account ( savings, admittedly) more than 10 years ago, and there were overdraft fees around then. (obviously not for a savings account, but I knew they existed.) The guy apparently was overdrawn 10 years ago, so should have been charged a fee then. Should this not have been sorted out then, if that was the case? It's admittedly possible that the guy can't remember due to the dementia...

Comment

All our customers were mailed notices when the bank changed hands. They were also mailed disclosures about a week later to tell them that all the accounts were changing, and here's what your new account terms and fees will be. That was TWO years ago. If they had a problem with the fees, they could have done something about it then. But we know how many customers read the things we send them.
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                  All our customers were mailed notices when the bank changed hands. They were also mailed disclosures about a week later to tell them that all the accounts were changing, and here's what your new account terms and fees will be. That was TWO years ago. If they had a problem with the fees, they could have done something about it then. But we know how many customers read the things we send them.
                  I would imagine not many would actually take the time to read those disclosure notices.

I know when our bank changed over last fall Mom and I received notices of the effective date of the bank transition and what to expect as far as our online banking, direct deposits, recurring debit payments, et al, which I sat down and read through throughoughly so that we both could understand them and know what to expect as far as our account was concerned.

We also looked at the updated fees, account perks information as well so we would know precisely how our account was changing.

The key here is to actually READ what your bank sends out. And, if after reading through it all, you can always call and talk with a rep for clarification on anything that you still don't understand - that's what they are there for.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                    They came in at 10am. I had everything ready for them. Then the husband balks at the loan rate. I ask the branch manager if we can do better. She says yes, to do 2% over the CD rate. I change the rate, but then the husband asks us to extend the time. I run three different amortizations, and they finally pick one after hemming and hawing for a while. I reprint the new CD and half the loan documents.

Now that we’ve agreed to their terms, they act like they’re in a hurry. I go through the documents as fast as possible, hoping I don’t miss anything.
                    Give people an inch and they want to take a mile. I can't stand when people do that, not just customers, even in everyday life with friends and family.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                      What time?

"69! Pick the number 69! It's hilarious!"

Comment

Working...
                      X