Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me, it makes perfect sense- You slack off in class, don't turn in your homework, and do poorly on the tests, you're going to get a bad grade. But I suppose that it's not allowed if it makes sense.

Also, the only time I've ever even pondered how the heck I got a certain grade was in my Legal Environment of Business class. I think I've mentioned it before, but I got the highest grade of everyone in the class on the paper we had to write for it. Which was weird to me because I never finished reading one of the books for it (Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle". x.x That book is horribly depressing, I'm sorry).
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth Not Lillith View Post
      The only time I ever asked "why did I get this grade?" was when I got an A on an essay for my history class...considering I had plagerized a light beer comercial because I didn't think my teacher was paying attention.
      I only went to an instructor once and asked about my grade, in college. It was a statistics class, very straightforward, we knew in advance how much of our grade was based on homework, each exam, etc. And according to how I added it up, I should have gotten an A, and my final grade was a B. Went to the instructor, he started to give me his official "that's the way it is speech" as he looked up his grade book, then switched to an apology as he realized that yep, he'd made the mistake, it should indeed be an A. He was quick to get it changed for me too, which I appreciated. A mistaken B is a very big deal when you have a 4.0 GPA

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Not Lillith View Post
        The only time I ever asked "why did I get this grade?" was when I got an A on an essay for my history class...considering I had plagerized a light beer comercial because I didn't think my teacher was paying attention.
        I had a person in my study group plagiarize "Parents Just Don't Understand" for a writing assignment once. I'm about 50% sure the teacher recognized it but let it go because it was well-written.

As for the OP, since the reasons for the grade are written on the paper prior to their coming up and asking, you could always tell them they have reading comprehension issues.... >_>

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The only time I asked about a grade on a paper was on the one that only said "you write like a dead white man" B-

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
            ..."you write like a dead white man" B-
            Did you get a poe grade?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Did you get a poe grade?
              Now she was just Tolkien aback.
              Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
              Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                Now she was just Tolkien aback.
                Sounds like someone was just feeding you a Heinlein.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Hey, enough of this Pratchetting...
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    Hey, enough of this Pratchetting...
                    He's not dead yet.

I'm giving you such a Frost-y look.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Don't Shakespeare me, I didn't realize it was dead authors only.
                      My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                        Don't Shakespeare me, I didn't realize it was dead authors only.
                        Going by this:

Quoth auntiem View Post
                        The only time I asked about a grade on a paper was on the one that only said "you write like a dead white man" B-
                        So yeah, dead white men only.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I apologize. I read that and didn't make the connection.

I'm such a doofus sometimes.
                          My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

I've Azimov of this; stop Clarkeing around!
                            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Miss Fatale View Post
                              I wish I could just say, "Because that's the grade you got."
                              How about, "You got that grade because of all those notes I wrote explaining why you got that grade. Read them and get back to me if you have something more specific you need to know about those comments"?
                              sooo many people are apparently aliterate morons. -- ThanosIsKing

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post

In your case, I can definitely understand the frustration as you've taken the time to explain why they got the mark they did beforehand. The entitlement part, is it because they're arguing with you and insisting that you change the marks regardless of feedback? Or is it literally just the "why" question that leads you to that impression? Like they're expecting you to remember what you wrote and not even try to go over the points with you to understand better.
                                It's the "why." If the student said, "I don't understand why you deducted points for this" or "I don't understand your comment about X," that'd be fine.

But I always get this question without any hint that they actually read my feedback.

They should question me -- I believe we should question everything. And because I'm human, I make mistakes, so I appreciate when they are brought to my attention. But use logic in those questions, show thoughtfulness, not just a knee-jerk reaction.

Comment

Working...
                                X