This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discount tacos

Background: I work at a fast food taco place, part of a chain, probably not the first one that pops into your head. We run a special on Tuesdays and it's our busiest day. My particular store is only six blocks from the local high school, so we get very busy during their lunch period.

So this old guy comes in with his mother, arriving just before the rush of high school kids. He wants one of our regular menu items and his mother wants the special, and they both want ice water. This brings their total to a little under $4.50. This is when the suck starts. First I ask him if he wants it to stay or go and he looks around at the nearly full restaurant and says they want to dine in "if there's any tables." I tell him that he should probably grab a table quickly because we will fill up with high school students in a moment.

The guy asks for a senior discount and I explain that we are not allowed to give senior discounts on the specials, because they are already heavily discounted, and, well, we're trying to run a business here. He throws a fit and demands that I ring up their food in separate transactions so he can get a discount on his item. So I ring his up and he pays and then after he's paid he accuses me of not giving him the discount. Now, my state doesn't charge sales tax, and all of our prices end in a 5 or a 0, and I charged him $2.52, so I knew I had hit the button for the discount. Senior discounts are the only reason we even keep pennies in the till, because we wouldn't need to give them as change otherwise.

I was trying to hurry him along because the first high school kids were starting to line up behind him and so I just printed a receipt and circled where I had discounted the item. He crumpled the receipt and dropped it on the floor and said he'd paid less than that before. I allowed as how that was probably true because our prices went up recently, mostly by 5 or 10 cents here and there. So I rang up his mother's order and took the money for that and asked him for a name to call out. He looks at the students queuing up behind him and says, "Are you going to bring it out to us?" I said no and he rolled his eyes and snapped angrily, "Wow, you are just feeling really helpful today!" Helpful or not, buddy, I've got maybe twenty kids in line behind you already, and more coming in the door. We simply don't have time to take your food to you. If you come here often enough to notice the prices change by a nickel, you should probably already know that we call out your name and you get your food off the counter.

Then he complained because while he was standing in line complaining about his discount, the students had claimed all of the tables, and his mother was going to have to eat in the car. I don't know if he expected me to make the students move or what, but they're all paying customers too, and while they sometimes get a little rowdy or leave a mess, at least they don't hold up a big line at lunchtime arguing over a discount. How much of a discount? Twenty-eight cents. Don't spend it all in one place, asshole.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM. Reason: removed info that may identify employer

SC logic: any discount, no matter how small, is worth fighting tooth and nail for.

BTW, I claim the title for my Rock Band Name list.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Disgraceful. Too bad you couldn't counter with a surcharge.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Rude boy should have sent mama to the table while he took care of the order.

It's not your fault the tables filled, it's his.
        sooo many people are apparently aliterate morons. -- ThanosIsKing

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
          This. The moronic customer surcharge, imposed to cover the psychic cost of dealing with EW's and SC's
          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
            SC logic: any discount, no matter how small, is worth fighting tooth and nail for.

I always thought "Blunt Force Trauma" would be a good name for a Metal Band.
            The beatings will continue until morale improves...

Comment

The table filling up was Karma's way of saying "Fuck you, cheapass!" I mean really...You warned him. It's not your fault he decided to stand there and throw a fit like a two-year-old. Come to think of it, maybe you should've given him a children's meal price instead, if he wanted to act like one! BTW, just from your description of the Tuesday sale, I think I know which taco chain you work for, and I don't blame the students one bit for crowding in there!
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

omg. Hate that kind of customer.

Not a food place, but where I work had someone throwing a fit and dickering about some price on some product and it came down to like a 25 cent difference. Finaly got them taken care of and as they were leaving the next customer loudly said, "Are you F***ing kidding me? All of that for a QUARTER? Next time, Lady, (glaring at the departing customer) ask ME and I'll F****ng COVER it!!!!"

Awsome.

But seems to happen even more when food is involved. LOVE to the FF chain in the same parking lot where I work for always giving me happy service.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                  "Asshat fee. $13.37"

Comment

Quoth luckythegiraffe View Post
                    How much of a discount? Twenty-eight cents.
                    28 cents: The price of not getting a table.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth luckythegiraffe View Post
                      Background: I work at a fast food taco place, part of a chain, probably not the first one that pops into your head.
                      either you work at the one by me, or TJ's places their stores by schools...(local school here has a shiny bird of prey as a mascot), I got hubs to try tacos from your place a month ago, he no longer likes the bell, actually said "the spices and the meat taste more like homemade tacos". I am just addicted to the potato thingys.
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                        The table filling up was Karma's way of saying "Fuck you, cheapass!" I mean really...You warned him. It's not your fault he decided to stand there and throw a fit like a two-year-old. Come to think of it, maybe you should've given him a children's meal price instead, if he wanted to act like one! BTW, just from your description of the Tuesday sale, I think I know which taco chain you work for, and I don't blame the students one bit for crowding in there!
                        LOL this is what I was thinking. If I were his momma, and I still had my marbles, I would tell him to shut up and go sit down while I order him the equivalent of a Happy Meal to enjoy in front of a restaurant full of high schoolers. Granted, I hope I never raise a son who acts like this jackass, and ESPECIALLY not in front of his mother...

Comment

I LOVE the potato thingies as well

In the bigger city where I used to live, there was one just a few blocks from one of the high schools.

Though, I got lucky moving back home. There's one just across the highway and back, going towards the grocery store I worked at in high school, and there's another just a couple of miles down the highway across from Wal-Mart before you get on the freeway. And neither by a school!
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post

Live Music
                            This Thursday at 'THE ROCK HUT'
                            Discount Tacos
                            Followed by
                            Hours on the Can
                            Doors open 9PM

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
                            Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                              Fleming Ayniss & the Discount Tacos
                              I have even less resistance. Zap! Zap!
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X