This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Deserted View Post
    Yes, and car washes, but for Prii (that's the official plural of Prius...) it's better to claim miles rather than money spent on gas -- we get far more money back. I don't remember what the amount is, but let's lowball it at 25¢/mile. In 24 hours, I typically drive about 250 miles and spend about $20 on gas, but at 25¢/mile I can claim $62.50... and I believe that the actual amount is 34¢/mile, which would be $85 claimed. (I'm not a tax pro, this is not tax advice, etc.)
    I would double check with the IRS on this. Unless there's two rates, the current mileage rate from the IRS is 56¢ (might be 56.5). Problem with this is you're supposed to own the vehicle as this is supposed to cover all operating costs including maintenance and insurance. Obviously as you're merely leasing the vehicle you don't pay most of those costs. That said, if you did actual, you can right off gas, cleaning/maintenance supplies and the lease itself. Oh, and clothes, stationary supplies, and so on.
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Another 'nother UPDATE!

I've now driven 2 wheelchair shifts, and here's what I've decided...

HOLY CRAP WHY WASN'T I DOING THIS A YEAR AGO?!

Remember what I said about cabbies averaging around $100/day? And wheelchair drivers making about double that? Today I brought home $225. This is by far the best shift I've ever had (as a cabbie), and it's only my second day! Hell, I only had 5 wc calls all day, and those 5 alone totaled ~$150.

As an unexpected bonus, my van is a late-model (but not new) Toyota Sienna, which gets better gas mileage than I expected. Right now I'm averaging about 19 mpg, and I think that as I get used to it, I'll be able to edge that up to maybe as high as 25 mpg. Even so, my total gas expenses were $50, and that was from about a quarter tank to all the way full (about 14 gallons; I believe the tank holds 18 or 20).

The only real down side to this is that I can't take regular (non-wheelchair) van calls, because those require the 3rd row of seats, which was removed from my van to make the space for the wheelchairs -- but those are so rare, compared to wc calls, that it's not really that big a deal. (Admittedly, it would be nice... but I'll live.)

Regarding the tax stuff, I'm going to have to dig out my old tax guy, if he's still around (haven't seen him in several years) and see if he'll deal with it for me. He'll make it kosher and all legal-like.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
        As an unexpected bonus, my van is a late-model (but not new) Toyota Sienna
        O/T, but that sounds like a MiM from the folks at Toyota. Sienna is an earth pigment consisting primarily of hydrated iron oxide - who the heck would give a vehicle a name synonymous with rust?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Deserted -- IIRC, you can file up to three years back if you have NOT filed taxes for those years, and do amended filings many more years back if you HAVE ^_^ Deffo time to chat with that handy-dandy tax man you mentioned. Note that his tax prep services may ALSO be tax-deductible, so ask him; ditto tax software, to an extent.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Deserted -- IIRC, you can file up to three years back if you have NOT filed taxes for those years, and do amended filings many more years back if you HAVE ^_^ Deffo time to chat with that handy-dandy tax man you mentioned. Note that his tax prep services may ALSO be tax-deductible, so ask him; ditto tax software, to an extent.
            I don't use special-purpose accounting software of any kind, tax or otherwise. (I have some, but don't need it.) All income and expenses get entered into my driving logs -- they're really general-purpose biz logs that happen to include the driving. I have special "passenger names" for various expenses, "[gas]" & "[wash]" being the two most common.

(I can't really see being able to write off software that was given to me as a gift, anyway. )

As for how far back I can do this-n-that, I'll let him worry about it.

No comments on Dug? Sigh.
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              No comments on Dug? Sigh.
              Chewie says bad idea.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                I've now driven 2 wheelchair shifts, and here's what I've decided...

[SIZE="4"]

The only real down side to this is that I can't take regular (non-wheelchair) van calls, because those require the 3rd row of seats, which was removed from my van to make the space for the wheelchairs -- but those are so rare, compared to wc calls, that it's not really that big a deal. (Admittedly, it would be nice... but I'll live.)
                But those of us who really need those vans are incredibly grateful that they exist. The last time I needed a cab (the time my car died on the side of I-10 in Phoenix, actually), I was incredibly relieved that the cab that wound up transporting us was in a van. My son didn't need to be in the chair for the transfer from our car to the van, but there were four people and two dogs. The mastiff took up the space in the back where the chair would have gone, and the kids and I piled into the remaining seats. This van had a bench with three seatbelts in the second row seating, so it worked out perfectly. I tipped the guy nearly 50% of the fare just for being so awesome at a time when I really needed it. There have been other times when I needed a cab with my son when he couldn't get on his feet to transfer, and finding a wheelchair cab can be remarkably difficult at times.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                X