X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brag: Getting good at Spanish!

Hi everyone

I've been working on my Spanish because I live in an area with a HUGE Spanish-speaking population. I eventually want to be fluent, though I'm a LONG way from that. I also happen to be whiter than rice.

Right now I know a few phrases, such as "do you want to know how much this costs" and "do you want it in a bag?" Apparently my pronunciation is good, because an obviously confused bilingual woman asked me where I was from. I think she thought I was from Spain (the only place someone of my coloring could have learned Spanish as a mother tongue). I told her it was just brushing off the high school Spanish classes, but it still felt pretty good.

To be fair, the fact my actual use of Spanish words is very "book correct" probably had something to do with it too. Other Spanish speakers have told me that the Spanish of Spain and what's taught in books are pretty close.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post

To be fair, the fact my actual use of Spanish words is very "book correct" probably had something to do with it too. Other Spanish speakers have told me that the Spanish of Spain and what's taught in books are pretty close.
    Ah, yes...Castillian Spanish (i.e. what's "taught") vs what's actually spoken...gotta love it!

I did this at one point: Do you have a friend who speaks fluent Spanish who could help you? I've had a few co-workers and friends who spoke fluent Spanish, and I'd occasionally ask them for help and "practice" with them.

When I was in my late teens-early 20's, since I took Spanish in HS too, sometimes I was the only one on shift at the fast food place I worked that could Habla Espanol...

And I'm a white dude.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I do have some friends who are fluent speakers. I ask them to double-check what Google Translate tells me (it's pretty good at Spanish). So far nobody has giggled so I guess I'm ok.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
      X