This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MoonCat View Post
    Weird. But those types do get around, don't they?

There used to be a kid I'd see on the bus--I say "kid" because anybody under 30 is a kid to me -- who once had a long conversation with an older guy all about his (the kid's) supposed service in the Navy. Claimed he'd "retired" with the rank of "Vice Admiral." 100% serious.

Seemed harmless, but "not all there."
    Hm, Mr Perry was Rob's div officer on the Spadefish back in 1987-88 and he was 25 and a brand new Lieutenant. He is now an Admiral [and commanding Sub Group 2 in its final years, they are demobbing SubGru2 and folding it into a different command, or so I have been informed.] He is of course one of *those* Perrys ... I think he is now the 7th or 8th Admiral Perry the family has had in the US Navy. And oddly enough some sort of really remote relative of mine through some family link back in the early 1800s.

I think the youngest US Navy Admiral was back in the 50s. Yup, that asshole Zumwalt.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
      Captain is right on the line between a low-ranking officer and a mid-level officer.
      Since you're from Arizona, I'm not surprised that you're a landlubber.

Quoth Chromatix View Post
      It also depends which branch of the military you're talking about. Captain is mildly impressive in the Army, but *really* impressive in the Navy - there are only so many ships needing commanding officers.
      That's exactly what I meant by my statement. Squids KNOW that only an Admiral outranks a Captain.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Since you're from Arizona, I'm not surprised that you're a landlubber.
        Actually... I served 4 years in the navy. And I meant specifically an Army captain.

Quoth wolfie View Post
        That's exactly what I meant by my statement. Squids KNOW that only an Admiral outranks a Captain.
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

So....that means Captain Krunch hasn't achieved a recognized military rank?
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Probably. I'd say he's qualified to run the cash desk at a fried chicken place - doesn't have anywhere near the "rank claimed but not earned in the military" to be able to run the whole restaurant. Yep, the legendary Harlan Sanders was an honourary Colonel, rather than earning the rank.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              That's probably true in the US Navy. I think the Royal Navy, however, still has the rank of Commodore, which sits between the two.

Comment

That's probably true in the US Navy. I think the Royal Navy, however, still has the rank of Commodore, which sits between the two.
                Lots of navies do. The Wikipedia article discusses it some.
                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

My understanding of Commodore in the Royal Navy (at least in the Napoleonic era) is that it's not a permanent (as in "this is your rank until you're promoted, court-martialled and demoted, die, or retire") rank. Once an officer was promoted to Captain, everything was based strictly on seniority (i.e. you wouldn't be promoted to Admiral until all Captains senior to you encountered one of the 4 "you're no longer a Captain" situations above). In a multi-ship mission, where it was necessary to have one person in overall command but no Admiral was available, one of the Captains would be promoted to Commodore for the duration of the mission. It was effectively a "let's see how you would do as an Admiral" rank that was intended to be for a limited duration - holder would revert to Captain when the mission was over.

Comment

Working...
                  X