This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former President Takes Over My Store!

A former US president is coming to my store to sign tonight (I won't be there; I was there when he signed at my old bookstore a few years back so I don't feel I am missing much.

I worked 3 hours this morning while the son was at preschool and was run ragged. The phone rang off the hook with people inquiring about getting tickets to meet him (available with the purchase of his new book). One guy cried when I told him we were out, but most people were cool with it, if disappointed.

The thing is, the book/tickets have been on sale for 2 months...we just ran out of tickets yesterday. But the local news programs decided to publicize this event THIS MORNING. So lots of sad people (although our regular customers who come into the store a lot saw the ads in store and knew what was up, so they got their books in time...just saying, non-customers...).

The Secret Service is shutting down the entire second floor, where the former president will be installed, including the employee breakroom, after 5 pm. So the poor workers get to stand in the undoubtedly long lines for the cafe bathrooms. We are expecting 1,000 people at this thing.

I remember at the old store they cleared out about half the store so the former president had a certain cleared space around him at all times. They hustled him through the secret service tunnels and passed through the breakroom (where I was chilling- for some reason at that time we were allowed to stay in it!). We smiled and exchanged greetings. That is the extent of my involvement with the former president.

The funny thing is, I am 35 years old and have no memory of his presidency but according to my parents and older co-workers he wasn't a popular president. Since then he's somehow become a diplomatic guru and many people's hero.

Since it's April 1st it would be funny if everyone came to the signing tonight and at the last minute the Secret Service came out and said, "April Fool!".

But I think my co-workers who are on tonight wouldn't agree.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

If it's the president I'm thinking of, the reason he wasn't much of a president is the same reason he's considered a diplomatic guru. He wasn't decisive. He has lots of empathy but doesn't seem to understand that a lot of people are just never going to agree with you, no matter what you say or do. He has a good heart, but no real understanding of the intricacies of different cultures. And so on.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

^ ^ ^ That's what I was thinking; he's a good and decent man, but doesn't have the leadership qualities. And I know he's written several books.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Funny story, during the election of '76, my mom couldn't get a babysitter and had to take me to the voting place. While she was in the voting booth, she was about to vote for the 'other guy' when at the top of my lungs, I started screaming at her not to vote for him and to vote for 'Guy with the big smile'. My poor mom was so embarrassed yet the local tv station wanted to interview her because they thought it was hysterical that a 3 year old was apparently that interested in politics.

Comment

I had this happen at the Indigo book store inside the Toronto Eaton Centre downtown! Only it wasn't a President and Secret Service, but a YouTube pop star and mall security, followed by several of her fans!
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

When I worked at the wholesale club, we had to deal with a certain former Vice Presidential nominee and state governor coming to our store to do a signing for their autobiography.

I'm just grateful I didn't have to deal with too much political crap from people who didn't like that I was checking their receipts and otherwise being indifferent to the fact that "someone important" was at our store.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

When I was in grad school one of the presidential debates was on campus. The day of the debates was an absolute madhouse. We could generally get to our classes, but parking, normally hideous, was absolutely impossible. A few students failed to plan ahead and found out that the train station in front of campus was being bypassed for most of the day, which made getting to campus on public transit a nightmare as well. I don't care to ever play host to a US president ever again.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                I had this happen at the Indigo book store inside the Toronto Eaton Centre downtown! Only it wasn't a President and Secret Service, but a YouTube pop star and mall security, followed by several of her fans!
                Was it Justin Bieber?

Comment

When I worked at the wholesale club, we had to deal with a certain former Vice Presidential nominee and state governor coming to our store to do a signing for their autobiography.
                  That particular person also came to our store as well. The place was PACKED.

The biggest crowd I have ever personally seen though, was for international film star Jenna Jameson. Take that world leaders!
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Going by the (short) list of living ex-presidents, and the comments already in this thread, I think I know who it is - no comments from the PEANUT gallery, please.

Having an ex-president show up for a signing is a BIG event. Having certain ex-presidents show up (Nixon, Ford, and Reagan spring to mind) would be something I wouldn't want to miss.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Having an ex-president show up for a signing is a BIG event. Having certain ex-presidents show up (Nixon, Ford, and Reagan spring to mind) would be something I wouldn't want to miss.
                      I would. Both Obama and Palin came to my town to speak at different times, and the normally heavy traffic was a complete nightmare! I'm still waiting for Obama to reimburse me for my wasted gas and time that day...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Having certain ex-presidents show up (Nixon, Ford, and Reagan spring to mind) would be something I wouldn't want to miss.
                        Neither would the Ghostbusters...
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I liked him as president, and I thought his daughter was the coolest ever--and she just got cooler as she got older. She was NO princess, was more like me, and I LOVED that!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            Neither would the Ghostbusters...
                            Unlike some people, you obviously understood WHY I wouldn't want to miss one of those ex-presidents showing up. The 3 I named have more in common with each other than just the party they represented, and one thing they have in common would make their appearance at an event something not to be missed.
                            Last edited by wolfie; 04-06-2014, 02:57 AM. Reason: Expanding on my post.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              Going by the (short) list of living ex-presidents, and the comments already in this thread, I think I know who it is - no comments from the PEANUT gallery, please.

Don't forget to double the tap the last three cause that's the only way to make sure zombies stay down.
                              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                              X