Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, it's a fire; I can't do f*ckall about it!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, it's a fire; I can't do f*ckall about it!

We have construction happening where I work security.

Apparently, the workers dumped something hot in the big open top dumpster behind the building.

I've on the other side of the property when I see flames rising up. I rush over to make sure it's actually a fire on our property. Yup, the dumpster is on fire. I see employees nearby and ask if I should call 911 (sometimes maintenance chooses to deal with smaller fires themselves). They say yes. I call 911, then my boss, then the maintenance boss. Both those bosses had already called 911, and my boss in turn calls our main contact. I keep in contact with my boss on the cell phone and he goes to the gate to our yard to let the fire department in. Besides keeping people from coming into the danger zone, all I can do is watch and report. There was a whole parking lot between the dumpster and building, the flames were already getting lower and wind was blowing away from the building, so there was not much to worry about at this point.

But THIS isn't good enough for these 2-guys that work in maintenance; I remembered later that they're both volunteer fire fighters in another town, so it must have looked like I was just twiddling my thumbs. They ask if the gate is open. I tell them my boss is manning the gate. They scream (bellow, really) at me to go open the gate. I go to the curve of the road so I can see the gate. There is my boss with the gate open. I decide to stay at the curb to direct the fire trucks to the correct building. I hear them coming. One of the 2 guys comes up and bellows again "I WANT THAT GATE OPEN!" I tell him it is and my boss will direct the trucks through, then I'll direct them from there.

Trucks arrive, I keep non essential people away, fire is put out, everyone leaves, I go back to the office to do my report. Then I hear the 2-maintenance guys in the HR office and Safety office, complaining to both managers how worthless I am (doors open) and that I didn't know what the hell I was doing, I didn't listen, I just stood there, bitch bitch bitch. They also complained about something I did last week (by the book, locker check, had a supervisor with me - they were bitching that I was 'rummaging through lockers without a supervisor.' Ummm,,,, right) I was really upset and let my boss know that they were complaining about me.

He told me after that the safety boss met with him and said he only believed about 10% of what the guys were saying. I know neither one of them respects the security department, but WHAT THE HECK did they want me to do? Start a bucket brigade, beat the fire with my hands??? I think they were more angry that I didn't 'listen' to them when they were trying to tell me what do do. But I was crying after because I know they'll complain to everyone they work with about how terrible a security officer I am. My boss says I did everything right, they just wanted someone to blame for something.

I always seem to be in the middle of the sh*t that happens when it happens, because I work during the busiest part of the day, so If I find something or something happens, it's me who gets involved; and if it's some sort of violation I found, then an employee gets in trouble, and they probably blame me.

I wish I could just ignore what I'm supposed to do at my job so I can stop being yelled at for doing my job.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Lockers are NOT employee property. They are company property, located ON company property, and that means their employer and its agents (that's you) have every f*cking right to inspect them WHEN and IF they decide to do so - and they don't NEED permission of the employee. Those that complain will have their assigned lockers inspected more closely, and twice as frequently, and if they have a problem with that they can take it up with the supervisor who was with you when you did it.

You'd be amazed at how quickly that will shut them the hell up.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
      Lockers are NOT employee property. They are company property, located ON company property, and that means their employer and its agents (that's you) have every f*cking right to inspect them WHEN and IF they decide to do so - and they don't NEED permission of the employee. Those that complain will have their assigned lockers inspected more closely, and twice as frequently, and if they have a problem with that they can take it up with the supervisor who was with you when you did it.

You'd be amazed at how quickly that will shut them the hell up.
      We actually only checked 1-locker. And it didn't even belong to the guys complaining. And it was a completely random check.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I hope management will tell these two to apologize to you and from now on either mind their own #@$%& business or get fired!

Comment

Some people need to be told to sit down, shut up, and let the professionals do their job

Comment

Usually, the guys who complain the loudest about locker checks, drug tests, etc. are the ones who are going to get in the most trouble for whatever they are doing/have.
            "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
            -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
              Usually, the guys who complain the loudest about locker checks, drug tests, etc. are the ones who are going to get in the most trouble for whatever they are doing/have.
              The old "Methinks the lunkhead doth protest too much" problem, eh?
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Did they want someone who isn't a fire expert to deal with the fire?

Maybe they got annoyed that you and your bosses actually had the situation under control and didn't need them/their advice. I dunno.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

How could the gate possibly have been open with just your boss there? It takes two guys to open it.

At least, it does when those two need to open it.

Comment

Yes it would have taken the two of them to open the gate, but they could only do it after you ran back to your office to fill out three work orders for both.

One to walk there, one to lift the latch, one to push the gate open.

Hate to say it but its guys like this that make maintenance look lazy. They probably wouldn't have been there to watch and criticize if they had actually been doing work.

Comment

Working...
                    X