Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess you don't want the business, then?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess you don't want the business, then?

So I work in a big box store, and one of the departments–which is technically attached to mine, but has different training and payscale–sells cellphones; both contract and non-contract types. Despite selling phones and being able to transfer your phone number from the old to the new, we don't have a computer that can transfer all the data: no pictures, contacts, bookmarks, etc. Of course, customers expect this to be done when they get new phones, because AT&T and Verizon do it for them. So, someone in our store has been directing them across the highway to the Radio Shack.

Apparently, this was a problem.

Today I picked up the phone, only to have the lady on the line immediately demand "someone in charge". I said I'd go find a manager, at which point she instead said she wanted "someone in Electronics". This describes me (as did the previous, half the time), so I said I'd help her.

This started a solid five minutes of being chewed out by someone who apparently worked at that Radio Shack and didn't appreciate our referrals. She said they didn't have a computer to transfer things like that, either, and they were too busy to do it by hand.

I'll grant them that it's kind of BS of us to send them customers who are just getting something fixed and not spending money, but come on. Their store is never busy. Most people don't even know it's over there. I go there sometimes, and I think the longest line I ever waited in had one person ahead of me, and the two of us were the only customers in the building.

Anyway, I eventually got a word in edgewise and said she needed to talk to someone in Wireless (the ones who do the phone) and handed it of to B. B is not only currently our most experienced Wireless associate, but she used to be a manager for the very store that was calling us. B listened for a minute or two, then said "Well, I'm sorry about that. Thank you for calling ________, have a nice day" and hung up. Then immediately ran to the back to let our manager know about it, because she was sure there'd be a complaint call.

There wasn't. Instead, the manager from over there got in her car and drove over to our store to complain in person that we were rude and hung up on her. Apparently, the manager's response to her was "Well, I have two associates who say you were yelling at them on the phone first, so it sounds like you started it."
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

When I was a retail peon, if someone was buying a phone, I would offer to set it up for them while they shopped so when they were done they could come and collect it with it working before they checked out.

Management told me that it took too long, despite doing it in quiet periods. So much for "happy to help".

Your manager sounds like a doll. Look after him/her. I'd have killed for one that isn't a douchenozzle.

Comment

My company has a pretty good policy; we charge $5-$10 for transfers, depending on whether it's a simple contact and picture transfer or if they want the full machine-based, 20+ minute transfer of everything, including texts, settings, etc.

Generally I waive this for the customers who are buying a phone from me, since it makes it more attractive to buy from my store instead of one of the others in town. However, if you bought your phone online, at another store, or from another carrier? Pay up!
      "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
      -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

I've already backed off everything I want. My contacts are linked to my email account, so I just put that in and we're good to go. I'll replace the apps, since chances are they aren't going to work with the new phone anyways.

I guess I'm one of those rare creatures who see a new phone as a blank slate to make new mistakes on!
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

You'd be surprised how many cellphone users purposely decline having their contacts backed up to Gmail...often the claim is, "I don't want Google to have all of my info!"

Of course, upon further inspection of their handset I see that they've synced all of their Facebook contacts...
          "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"

Comment

I have an Android, use gmail, rely on Gdocs for word processing, and use Chrome as my browser on my laptop.

Google already has everything on me.
            » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

I'm 110% sure that Google had everything on me before I synced up my first Android phone

Comment

Working...
              X