This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just need to vent

OK, so I'm really big on getting advice from people who love and know me on big issues. I oftentimes will send out a mass email to the friends I consider family. This past one was a very simple request for prayers/thoughts regarding my tax situation. I had already asked all of you for practical advice on what to do, and followed through on someone's statement (sorry--can't remember who, but thank you!) and sought out free preparation from someone recommended by the IRS site itself. In this email to my friends I did mention this, and those who responded, save one, said they would definitely pray for me to have faith and peace, as I requested. But the one has given me advice I didn't ask for, which I thanked her for, and assured her the logistics were taken care of, and my concern is regarding how it all comes out. So she is going back and forth with me about how I should possible pay her consultant, because this would somehow be better. I get her concern, but I am not asking advice in this instance, just support. I might be oversensitive, but stuff like this has happened before.

I've had the opposite--asking for advice on which of two spelled-out alternatives to take, and being given a third one that is not possible for me to actually do. I felt like, did you actually read the two proposals I wrote out? It's as if I asked, "Should I eat an apple or an orange?" and being told to sew my mouth shut and get an IV. (OK, that's really weird, but I'm strange ).

And last month there was a potluck on a Sunday, within an insanely crazy week for me, in which my only day off was the previous Tuesday. I planned to make a cold salad and bring it to the building the Wed before the potluck and leave it in the refrigerator. I guess it was a mistake to ask it that was ok. I simply meant I didn't want to take up refrigerator space. I wasn't asking permission to make it ahead of time, but a friend who answered my email had a problem with just that, because the flu was going around, and apparently not making it the night before (Saturday, the weekly apocalypse for retail people) would ensure the spread of the flu, which I did not have. OK, I'd be more concerned with food poisoning, but frankly, I know what I'm doing in the kitchen--state-certified for food safety and in the food service industry. Beside that, what are refrigerators for if not to keep food below a safe temp? Well, we ironed out the argument, but honestly, her responses sometimes have nothing to do with what I ask.

I'm beginnig to think my friends/family don't listen to me any better than my customers do, even when it's the written word.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

People who offer unasked-for advice (including third and fourth solutions when you've only got two options) are usually just trying to be helpful -- most likely they're thinking they've come up with a fantastic solution that you had not thought of (and once in a while they're right, LOL). This is often inevitable even when you say clearly "X and Y are the only possible solutions."

However, once you explain that thank you, but those other solutions won't work, they should let it drop.

As for the refrigerated salad, I don't quite understand that. How does making it ahead of time risk spreading the flu?? I mean, unless you sneeze and cough all over the thing ... in which case I'd think it would be better if you stick it in the fridge for twelve hours or so!

Comment

I don't know. She's a nurse. So another friend and I have taken to making references to the "flu salad."
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I don't know. She's a nurse. So another friend and I have taken to making references to the "flu salad."
        As long as the salad isn't flubar'd.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Some people get ticked off when a person asks them for advice and then decides not to follow it. I've tried explaining that no one is obligated to take their advice, but some people just don't get it.

As for the salad, yeah, that's....odd. Nurse or not, why would she think making a salad a couple days ahead of time would spread the flu??
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Maybe because its a conspiracy with the salad cartel! THEYRE BEHIND THE FLU!!!
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Working...
            X