This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Tao Ferret

Sometime early Tuesday morning, my brother's ferret Tao passed away.

I received this news later in the morning when my brother came to wake me up so we could make-as my brother put it- "Tao's Forever Bed." Which I feel is a very sweet way of putting it.

My brother got Tao, or Taokaka spooky dooking pocket sized ghost ninja ferret babygirl boop, in July of 2009. One evening he arrived home from visiting his friends, to tell me he had a surprise. In the back seat of his car was a cage, and inside that cage was Tao. I helped him sneak the cage into his bedroom before going to bed. I was happy that my brother had succeeded in getting a ferret, but I was sure my mother would make him get rid of her the next day.

As it turns out, I was wrong. Everyone, including my mom, fell in love with Tao. We moved her cage to the basement, and my brother and I spent the whole summer playing with her. Then I went off to university for the year, but my brother kept me updated on his little Tao Boop. Most of my calls home involved my parents and my brother all updating me on the little ferrets adventures.

BrotherKiba began talking about getting another ferret. He felt bad that he couldn't spend all of Tao's waking time with her. So he chose to get her a friend. We spent a lot of time looking for a friend for Tao. Eventually in January 2011 BrotherKiba brought home Loki a three month old little dynamo. I did not have the pleasure of meeting him until I came home in April. Sadly, after the introduction of Loki, Tao became ill.

I choose to believe this was simply old age that caused her problems. She was about 4 or 5 when BrotherKiba first adopted her. So she was around 7 years old at the start of the year. Through phone calls from home I learned that Tao was balding pretty badly on her bottom. By the time I came home, there was nearly no hair from mid back to the tip of her tail. Also the day I got home from school, we found out that she had developed an eye infection in the 4 days while my brother was gone picking me up. We were able to treat it, but Tao sadly lost her sight in her right eye.

After this trial, seemed to get much better, though. Her energy began to grow, she and Loki got along better, and she became very fluffy and content. We were all very happy and excited. Within the last week, however, Tao's bathroom functions have been a little odd. I won't get into details, but it was concerning. However, she still had a lot of energy compared to the start of the year.

Monday night we gave her a bath. We put she and Loki in her play room for the evening. I checked on her many times, she seemed happy, but a bit more tired than usual. She usually climbs from the floor onto a futon in the room and takes naps on it. But she did not have enough energy to make the climb Monday, so I had to lift her into position. She seemed very comfortable though.

As I wasn't feeling well I went to bed before my brother got home from visiting friends. BrotherKiba got in kind of late so he chose to leave Loki and Tao resting in their playroom. Tuesday morning he got up to put them back in their cages. He found Tao in one of her favorite resting spots, passed on.

The whole family was upset by Tao's passing. She was the first fur pet in our household. Even my mother, who hates animals, loved Tao. She was so adorable, and rambunctious. It is so very odd to think of her no longer being with us. I feel very sorry for my brother, and even more sorry for Loki. Loki is all alone now, without a friend he's had for almost all his life up to this point. We will have to try very hard to give him extra attention until it is time to bring home a new friend.

Rest in Peace Tao. We love you so much.

And now, Tao in a Boot
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Awww poor sweet ferret! She's such a cutie and so adorable. My condolences.
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I am sorry for your loss *hugs*.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
      X