This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel worried

So I live in a small town....I am a teacher in our tiny town's high school....I was at a grocery store and saw a car parked in the firelane with the engine running, with a girl strapped to her car seat......the mrs. told me I did bad because it could be a parent of a student but I called the police as this was a potentially dangerous situation....was I in the wrong?

Probably not. Someone could have easily jumped into that car...and been long gone before the parent would have noticed. How many times do idiot customers park in the fire lane, claiming they'll "only be a minute" and the car sits there for an hour?
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I would have done the same thing.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I would have called too. It's jut not safe to leave your child in the car.

Comment

No.

And since that's too short to post: who gives a shit whose parent it might be. What that parent did is just stupid and s/he's lucky the worst thing that happened was a police report.
          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-29-2011, 11:18 PM. Reason: wrong who's/whose...it was bugging me
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

No. There's no excuse for leaving a child in the car. Unless it's a bona fide emergency. And if it IS a bona fide emergency, I guess we need a cop.

Comment

I should also add that as I was on the phone with the cops, she came back, left, but I gave her license plate and direction....plus my name....thanks for the reassurances

Comment

I doubt they'd have any reason to tell her who called them..
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Saving a life is more important; would you rather a parent gets angry or the child is kidnapped?
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

It is illegal where I live to leave a child under 10 alone in a car. They can die from the heat.

Comment

You're a hero in my book.
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

And mine.

Better to make someone angry, or look foolish, than know you could have stopped a tragedy and did nothing.
                        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

You did the right thing.

It is a pain in the butt to unstrap a child when you will be in there for only a minute like paying for gas. You still have to do it. Bad bad things can happen to that poor child left unattended in a car. It could lock and the car shut off. Hot temperatures can kill quickly. The same with cold temps. Leaving your child in a car unattended that young is child endangerment.
                          My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Especially since the car is running! Who could be so careless!?

I will admit I have left my son in the car (NEVER as an infant!). One time he was super sick and I had to pick up a prescription. He really didn't want to go into the pharmacy with me. Stuff like that. So I am sympathetic to parents sometimes.

But to leave the car RUNNING!? Just no!
                            "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

You were totally in the right! Think of all the things that could have happened: high temps, carbon monoxide poisoning, another car hitting that car, someone stealing the car with the child in it...Better to be safe than sorry. Why do people take chances like this with their children?

And they are usually inside the store much longer than they claim they were.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X