This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnout...

I posted here because it doesn't really fit into the work-related forums specifically. I just find myself becoming more and more burned out on everything lately. The call center job is draining, even when it's not completely sucky, and I work a 1:30-10 PM shift most of the week (11:30-8 on Saturday) so the rest of the day seems like almost a waste. I really should be doing work for my second job right now, which is managing the advertising on a small website. It hasn't been busy but I know I'm really behind on a lot of things. And I don't want to quit this part time job because on the whole, I really like it...my two coworkers are great (and live in different states, which could be good or bad!) and it's pretty easy. The problem is I just am running out of energy to do it.

I also suffer from depression and anxiety, which I take meds for, and when I first got the call center job I actually felt better for a bit. I was making decent money, I liked most of my coworkers, and the sucky customers didn't get to me personally too much. Then I had to move to a different "vertical", working for a different client (High End Home Store), and it just seems so much more stressful. I've had problems with sleep for ages, probably due in part to my medications, so that just gives me even less energy to face the world sometimes. I had the day off today because I switched a day with someone, so I'm working tomorrow instead of being off...and I thought I might actually get stuff done, but here it is after 9:30 PM and I have really gotten fuck all done today. Got up at 11 AM, went to lunch with the hubby, sat down at the computer and in a very short time I was nodding off and also had a headache and stomachache - cue 3 hour nap on the couch. That just leads to more depression and guilt.

I guess I will have to talk to my psychiatrist about this when I see him in a couple of weeks. Also, this is more like a vent than a request for advice - words of encouragement are welcomed, and I will ignore anyone who lectures me but mostly I just wanted to get it out. Thanks for listening.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

*hugs and offers cranberry white chocolate chip cookies*
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I take a melatonin supplement for sleeping. I'd been having a lot of trouble getting a restful sleep despite how I could sleep for 14 hours straight (or 8 hours, actually. I try for 9 most nights). I burn out easily.

*Offers some raspberry tea to go with EQ's cookies*
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Thank you both, I feel loved

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        *hugs and offers cranberry white chocolate chip cookies*
        Those things are sooooooooooooooo good!!

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
        I take a melatonin supplement for sleeping. I'd been having a lot of trouble getting a restful sleep despite how I could sleep for 14 hours straight (or 8 hours, actually. I try for 9 most nights). I burn out easily.

*Offers some raspberry tea to go with EQ's cookies*
        I take melatonin too, and it helps me to fall asleep fast and I sleep well (or at least it seems like it) for maybe 5 hours or so. Then I start to have very vivid and often disturbing dreams, again most likely caused by medication...which keep waking me up feeling horrible and groggy and I fall right back to sleep...lather, rinse, repeat. I have had a sleep study done and there's nothing unusual going on, no sleep apnea or other obvious issues, so I guess it's the meds. I tried getting off them two years ago and I practically went out of my mind so I went back on. But it may be time to re-discuss them with my pdoc.

Anyway, thanks again, I am going to bed soon and hopefully will have lots of time to sleep before work since I start 2 hours later than usual tomorrow
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

My boyfriend has sleep apnea. It took a long time to get used to him not snoring. So I came up with a method to relax long enough to pass out. It's now gotten to be so effective I tend to be gone a couple minutes after my head hits the pillow.

It starts with the pillow.

I have a special pillow that is made of memory foam and is contoured. It's not one you can easily pick up from Wally World or KMart; those tend to be too hard and too small. You have to go to a mattress store to get it. It came with a 2 inch memory foam pad that The Boyfriend and I purchased to put on the air mattress we slept on (we now sleep on a water bed).

The Sound is next.

Find a sound that is particularly soothing. The best way to do this (for me at least) was to sit in a perfectly quiet room and tune everything out. That sound you hear in the back of your head is your soothing sound. For me, it's the sound of bull frogs and crickets.

Side Note: When I was younger, I lived in TN and would ALWAYS leave the window open at night. Since it was a rural area, this was the normal sounds of night and would always bring a comforting feeling to me. That and the sound of rain but I've discovered that, after moving to a desert, the sound of rain makes me need to use the bathroom a lot.

Finally, forced relaxation.

I know, it sounds like an oxy moron but believe me, it works. Lay in bed in a comfortable position and allow your body to relax. You may experience an aching sensation. It goes away after a few minutes. Start with your joints at the ankles and slowly work your way up your body to your head. Relax every muscle. Take deep, calming breathes. It's particularly nice to do after you've put clean sheets on the bed. The smell of "clean" is a trigger.

In the beginning it'll take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to get into the groove of things. After a week or so, you should be falling asleep within a much shorter time period. I think it took me a month to get to the Head + Pillow = Dead To the World position that I'm in.

Unfortunately, I can no longer read in bed. But hey, bed is for sleeping anyways.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Thanks. I can't do much as far as sound goes with hubby in the room trying to sleep...he needs quiet. Every once in a while I will listen to my iPod (on my iPhone) but that's not always relaxing...I need to see if there is a white noise program with a sleep timer on it. I do try to do the relaxing bit and it does help, especially when I tell myself "your only responsibility at this very moment is to relax and fall asleep." As for the pillow I will have to look into that...does it work for side sleepers?

Comment

Working...
            X