This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoo help - update with pic pg2

So this June is coming to the 10 year anniversary of my oldest sister passing away.
    As my other 2 tattoos are already Kanji, I would like to continue that tradition.

It's gonna be a small tattoo as I want it on either my wrist or my inner upper arm. I was thinking of the Kanji for either "elder sister" or "loved sister" with little angel wings flanking her initials.

So what I'm asking from you guys (especially those that are fluent in Katakana or Hiragana script) for the correct interpretation of Loved or Elder Sister. This tattoo is too important for me to walk around with "Pork Sausage" on my wrist, KWIM?
    The report button - not just for decoration

Thank you for being genre savvy Irads!

also, I cannot help.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Just so you realize that Kanji, Katakana, and Hiragana are all different? Katakana are symbols that are used to "spell" foreign words. Hiragana are symbols used to "spell" Japanese words. And Kanji are symbols that represent whole words or ideas. There are only 46 symbols each in Katakana and Hiragana, but there are thousands of Kanji symbols (roughly 50,000.) Since you said you wanted the tattoo in Kanji, I was just curious why you're looking for someone who knows Katakana and Hiragana...

My husband minored in Japanese in college. He says the Hiragana for "Older Sister" is あね (spelled "ane" in English, pronounced "on-ney"), the Kanji is 姉. You could also use お姉さん which means "oneesan." If you were talking about your sister to someone else, you would just use "ane." If you were addressing your sister directly, you would use "oneesan" which is more formal (showing respect for someone who is older than you.)

Comment

Thanks MaggieCat
        I wasn't really sure about the differences, but I wasn't sure which would look better, if you know what I mean. I think I'll select the Hiragana, as that would fit in with the "flow" of the angel wings (does that make sense?) Please tell your hubby thanks very much. Once I've gotten it, I'll attach pics. I'm hopefully getting done on the 28th of June, which will be exactly 10 years to the day that she passed, so it will really have a lot of meaning.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

You're welcome! I'm sure whether you use the Hiragana or Kanji it will look nice. I'm excited to see the pics once it's done. I can probably get my husband to find an actual image of the symbols if you'd like, so it's a little bigger and more detailed.

Comment

Naw, it's fine - i copied and pasted from what you gave me, put it in word and just increased the size and bolded it - works fine, and there's no changes to the lettering

There will only be pics on the 28th of June as that's when I'm getting it done But seriously, thanks so much - and give your hubby a squish from me, k?

Comment

don't leave it pixillated! Find calligraphy of it.... or hmm...
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

A friend of mine is a Japanese cultural historian and has nearly 10 years experience with the language. (She also teaches Japanese and does calligraphy.) She's super busy, but I can see if she'll draw a larger version of it and take a picture.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                  A friend of mine is a Japanese cultural historian and has nearly 10 years experience with the language. (She also teaches Japanese and does calligraphy.) She's super busy, but I can see if she'll draw a larger version of it and take a picture.
                  ooooh. Fancy. That's awesome.

Comment

awwww you guys!!!

Comment

My friend sent me this link: http://calligraphernao.files.wordpre...der-sister.jpg

Comment

Hey! That's ink! That's really cool, she found it! (is that her blog? I like the calligraphy on it... *pages thru more*) Say thanks to your friend for us, AdminAssistant-- she's a really nifty one. :3

Comment

No, that's not her blog, at least...not as far as I know! But she knew what to look for. I just couldn't ask her to drag out the fancy paper, ink, and brush, not during finals week.

Comment

So I'm getting the tat today - 2.5 hours from now! Will post pics once done. THanks for all your help guys. *HUGS*

Comment

Ok, here it is! 40 minutes it took, and it didn't hurt as much as I thought it might.

Comment

Working...
                              X