This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bostonians! I need suggestions!

Ok, so Hubby and I want to go on a road trip sometime this summer driving through the New England states we don't live in and doing something in each state, before he graduates late fall and we move. Our planned loop will take us from Rhode Island to Maine through the general area of Boston, so I'd like to poll those of you in the area for fun things to do without taking up too much time or money (half a day is probably a good maximum time estimate, and money-wise, we're doing this on a PhD's stipend).

As an important note, we have two children with a third on the way. Our kids are 4 and 2 respectively, both girls (though that hasn't stopped Oldest from being fascinated with dinosaurs and Youngest with trucks).

So, suggestions for a family of four and a shoestring budget?
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Other than getting your picture taken at Cheers (fka the Bull & Finch Pub)...I got nothing
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Duck Tour? A bit pricey, but fun.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

You can walk the Freedom Trail on your own and/or visit Quincy Market, Boston Harbor and several cemetaries with famous dead people in them. All within walking distance of eachother if you don't mind walking. Plus the aquarium is near the harbor as well.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Well, in Boston there's the Museum of Science and the New England Aquarium, which are usually fun for kids. Not sure what the admission rates are these days as it's been quite some time since I've been to either place.

In salem NH there's Canobie Lake Park, but that has gotten a lot more expensive than it used to be. The current adult admission is $32 but $4 off coupons can be found pretty easily (heck I could pick some up at the supermaket and mail them to you if you want).

Also in the NH and Maine areas is Pirates Cove miniature golf (they have a number of different locations) which is always fun.

There are easily accessible scenic highways in NH (like the Kancamagus Highway, which has lots of stuff to do at either end) but I don't think that would hold the kids attention much past the first scenic overlook

And if you do like mini golf, then right off 495 in my hometown (see my location) is Kimball Farms, which is an ice-cream stand with attached mini-golf, driving range, bumper boats, etc. Though again, it's not exactly "on the way" to Maine, but I think you can get an ice cream and a round of mini-golf in for under $20 a person there.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

There's a lot that can be done for little money in Boston but parking is very expensive on weekdays. On evenings/weekends many garages have specials. For example the Boston Common Garage is $11 all day on Sat. and Sun. and after 5:00 on weeknights.

There is also a lot of fun inexpensive stuff for families to do outside of Boston. Salem (lots of family oriented museums and activities too many to name), Cambridge (Harvard Square, MIT, the Charles River waterfront to name a few), Lexington/Concord (Minuteman National Park plus some small private museums geared to families), Quincy (Adams National Park, USS Salem), Fall River (Battleship Cove), New Bedford (Whaling museum), Lowell (textile museum, the mill musuems), Worcester (Ecotarium/Worcester Art Museum), Lincoln (Drumlin Farm), Plymouth (Plimouth Plantation/the Mayflower II). All things I did as kid or brought my kids to. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten some places.

I hope that helps!
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Awesome guys, thanks for the suggestions! Dave, don't worry about coupons. Even with them, it's probably still a bit out of our price range.

Quoth Dips View Post
              There's a lot that can be done for little money in Boston but parking is very expensive on weekdays. On evenings/weekends many garages have specials. For example the Boston Common Garage is $11 all day on Sat. and Sun. and after 5:00 on weeknights.
              For anything within Boston itself, we'd be most likely to park at one of the outlying T stops and take the T in instead on a weekday. That's what I usually do when my friend and I do our yearly convention in Boston. That way, we also get to avoid driving in Boston.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                That way, we also get to avoid driving in Boston.
                Oh, right. It's not a good place to drive if you're not comfortable. Just avoid the lots near Rte. 93 during weekends this summer. They're doing a massive weekend construction project in Medford. The lots in Everett, Malden and Charlestown are $free$ on construction weekends but getting to them might be a huge pain. They should be OK (but not free) on weekdays, though, if you get there early enough. On weekends try Alewife (Red line) or the Quincy lots (also Red line). Neither is free but no construction delays.

I second Dave's recommendation of the Science museum and the New England Aquarium. They could be cheaper but Kids LOVE them.

For cheap and fun there is the Constitution (some $), the Cassin Young (free), the musuem in the Navy Yard (donations) and the Bunker Hill monument in Charlestown (some $). You can take a water taxi from the Navy Yard across the harbor to the area near the aquarium for like $2 (I think?).

If you have more than half a day, there are also passenger ferries (some $) to the harbor islands (free). Kids love George's Island which has an 1830s fort they can explore and gorgeous views. It's a nice trip out there too. It leaves from the area near the aquarium as well. The island has picnic facilities which can save you some money on food.
                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Third on the museums. Museums are especially great if the weather in Boston turns sour the way it has been the last few weeks. The Boston Musem of Science has floors upon floors of stuff to do, so it's not easy to get bored there.

If you have time to walk around the MIT area, the Genetics lab has it's own minimuseum, but I'm not sure if you can actually go into it or if all of the exhibits are in the window. I've been going out there every week for the past few weeks to do a brain study.

Quincy Market has some great food, but it can be a bit of a challenge finding a place to sit. If you take the suggestion to come to Salem, my favorite resturaunt here is Victoria Station. My mom and sister came to visit me this past week and we went to Jaho's coffee shop for Gilato, which is in the same area. (on Pickering Wharf)

Comment

Lots of good suggestions, thanks! I'm getting so excited for this little trip.

Comment

Of course, if you're into historical stuff, there's the Freedom trail. Lots of fun stuff to see. Much is free or cheap. Make sure to stop into Quincy Market to eat at some point. It's a historic market building that's a giant food court now. If it's still there, and you like clam chowder, try the "Boston Chowdah Company". Best chowder I've ever had in my life!

ETA: I've been to Boston ONCE! I'm not a Bostonian by any stretch. Any from there will know better than me.
                      Last edited by Cookie; 06-28-2011, 02:09 AM.
                      The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Freedom Trail is awesome (I hope you have good weather)

If you get a T day pass (the subway), I think you can ride a shuttle boat to where the USS Constitution is docked. (we did that a few years ago)

I was actually just in Boston last weekend....we went to the aquarium....I love it there.
                        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Just stroll around the commons.

Maine - where are you heading there? If you want, head to Bar Harbor for some great lobster.
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

You'll be passing through Southern NH (and my home town!) on your way to Maine. In my city there really isn't that much to do that's kid friendly except for the See Science Museum and Mel's Fun Park. Theres also the Currier Art Gallery, which is free on Saturday and I believe has a kid's room (but do not eat there unless you want $20 sandwiches). There are several pick your own berries in the area, as well as Charmingfare Farm, which is a real, working, organic farm that if I remember, has a petting zoo. The Friendly Farm is too but thats a touch out of your way. Oh, yes, Stonyfield Farm is located nearby too, which has tours and whatnot. Not sure about pricing.

I'm not as familiar with Portsmouth, but if you want historical things, try Strawberry Banke, which is a reconstructed Colonial town. A bit pricey, however. There is the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard which has a museum, too, if I recall, plus there are some beaches that the kiddies can play at.

If you want to go antiquing, then you want Northwood or Amherst; but since you're bringing your kids, you may not get a very warm welcome.
                            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Portsmouth has a childrens museum in Strawberry Banke, some gorgeous communty gardens in Prescott Park and the Albacore, a decommssioned submarine you can explore. TONS of restaurants there and some very nice beaches in Rye and Hampton.

Across the river Kittery, Maine has lots of outlet shopping. Go up to coast to Wells and Ogunquit for more nice beaches. There's a very nice coastal walk in Ogunquit. For lobster we alwasy go to Chauncy Creek Lobster Pier in Kittery. It's BYOB and you eat on picnic tables on the pier. They have a tent for when it rains.

There is also a trolley museum in Kennebunk (I think?). If you go through York, check out Nubble Light at Cape Neddick. If you happen to be there during sunset/moonrise when the moon is full and rising as the sun sets behind you, you are in for a treat.

Bar Harbor is a long way up about 5 hours (I think!) from Kittery. If you get that far you'll want to see Acadia National Park and check out the Cole Land Transportation Museum in nearby Bangor. You'll find every kind of land conveyance from antique locomotives and cars to doll carriages.

Portland, Maine is in between the south coast and the middle coast. There is an observatory there with nice views and a narrow gauge railroad you can ride with an attached museum. The mail boat run by Casco Bay lines ferries foot passengers to the islands in the bay with the captain narrating the sights during the trip. Since it's a working boat, it's a bargain compared to taking a tour boat.

I know I'm rambling.

Comment

Working...
                              X