Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I must agree on SSD's -- They're by far the superior choice for boot drives (and for SOME games and programs) due to their impressive speed, but for long-term storage, you're better off with a standard one. Check the local iterations of Amazon, NewEgg, etc. to see if they have deals; a 2TB drive should be close to the price of a 1TB these days, and a 3TB for not a whole lot more.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Wheeee!

I petsat for friends for about three weeks, and in return, they bought me a 4 TB disk drive!

I am currently transferring everything from the old (1 TB) drive to the new one.

Time remaining? 22 hours.

Should I just leave the computer on while all the stuff transfers?

Comment

Yes, you should. Unless there is something odd where the two drives are plugged directly into each other and the computer isn't hooked up to them at all.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I had the computer on all night. In the morning, the old drive was still sending files to the new drive.

I got home about an hour ago. Still sending files.

It seems to be finished now, because there is no window telling me that the files are still sending. However, when I click "Computer" in the Start menu, it tells me that the new disk, well, just isn't there. I click on the old disk and see all the files, but the new disk isn't listed at all. Do I need to restart?

Comment

... Almost sounds like there's a funky USB port involved here somewhere. Things can get worked loose to give intermittent contact, hence things dropping out. Might check other ports/machines to see what's going on.

Comment

I've been able to save a document to the new drive, so it's working. The light's on. The light is not on with the other drive, though it still shows up on the list of drives, and the files show up, too.

I'm enclosing two snips to give you an idea how it looks. The L:/ drive is the old one. The F:/ drive is the new one.
              Last edited by Eireann; 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Did you try to open the case for the drive and plug it directly into the PC? It's still possible it's just the connection between the case and the hard drive.

If you can't then prioritise what you wish to take off the old drive you may have a little luck trying to get a few files every couple of hours, shut it down in-between times.
                Another trick that can help is to put the drive in a sealed bag and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours (if you have spare desiccant sachets throw them in the bag as well). Remove from bag and try again, sometimes the cold lets things work long enough to get the important bits off.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                X