Random Sucky Neighbor Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    My city has been recently doing this. They will send notices out that a certain neighborhood's water will be off for a period of say an hour. This is to perform a water line flush via the fire hydrants. They open the several hydrants in the area full blast for say 15 minutes for flush larger particles out of the pipes. This flushing causes all the houses to not have water for a short period.
    My county has been servicing the water lines causing occasional outages. Only problem I have with that is the water is dirty for a while after the turn the water back on. It makes the toilets look like they haven't been flushed.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      ... makes the toilets look like they haven't been flushed.
      You've been Zappa'd: "Let's Make The Water Turn Black"!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Any time we had notice about water works on a given day, mum would fill the bath with water and have a bucket in the toilet. We would have to fill the bucket, flush the loo, then fill up the cistern. The amount of water in the bath depended on how long it was expected to be shut off and how many people were going to be home. If it was during school/work hours, it wouldn't be a full as if it was during school holidays.

She also used to fill the kettle and one of the big catering sized saucepans for any water needed in the kitchen. We had a rain water filtering system for drinking water, so we were fine there. (I still hate the taste of tap water.)

Doesn't help when you have run out of clean clothes, but otherwise it works well.
        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

• It's 11:15 so SHUT UP! You can't sit outside an be so loud the whole neighborhood can hear your hyena howling. Some people work on weekends. I know you don't get that because your man probably pays all the bills. I'm not saying that's bad, but it's bad that you don't see how privileged you are compared to other women.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
            You've been Zappa'd: "Let's Make The Water Turn Black"!
            And if they were to get Stoned, would they "Paint it black"?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

• WHO keeps breaking the back door? ...Some genius long ago tied a string to a pipe on the inside wall on the hinge side of the door, said string has a loop on the free end which goes around the doorknob to prop the door open.

Problem is, the string isn't quite long enough (you need to pull the door an half-inch or so past the hinge's normal range of motion to get the string around it) and I think when it's in use it puts enough stress on the doorknob to somehow pop the lock cylinder out eventually. I'm surprised the hinges haven't given up.

Once this is fixed, I'm very tempted to dispose of the string entirely and see what happens...
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Lawn Guy is nearly done putting up the new fence, and a very nice fence it is, too.

Bitch Behind Me apparently came over and gave him some grief about attaching the new fence onto "her" back yard fence. I'm not sure what he did and don't really care.

This same neighbour complained to my mother about the security light in the back yard (it's now non-functional and, to be honest, I don't mind). She also bitched about the wind chimes Mom had hanging near the kitchen window. (I took them down a few years ago when we had a storm warning and did not put them back where I got them ... because I wasn't interested in getting up on a stepladder again. They're now hanging on the front of the house.)

I've not had any complaints from her in the time I've been here. If ever she bothers to come to my door, to complain about anything, she'll get a few choice words and then she'll be yapping at a closed door.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Well, not so much sucky neighbors as sucky town. I've been looking, but there is little in my price range. What is available gets snatched up so fast, even though I watch like a hawk. I'm getting super freaked out. I have to be out at the end of July. I should have a place lined up by now. I should have scheduled movers (movers in town are actually not much more expensive then renting a truck and buying all your friends pizza and beer plus professionals tend not to break things) and scheduled the carpet cleaners, since that's my responsibility.

Basically, I'm a ball of nerves. I have been looking for a long time now, and I don't know, maybe I've been too picky because I refuse to live near the college? But even those places go really fast. I mean, they rent out like 3-4 months in advance. In contrast, the places that are low income won't even tell me if there's going to be any openings any farther out then 20 days. I sleep totally fine, but when I wake up in the morning, I immediately feel waves of dread and fear. This sucks.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• I hope something comes up for you soon. When you're on a tight budget, that seems to be the toughest time to find someplace to live.

I don't know if it'll help, but is there any way for you to get alerts in your email about rentals? I've got them coming in here (city in southern Ontario) and also in what is likely going to be my next place of residence (Prairie city). It might make it easier for you to see possibilities a little quicker.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Attention, Idiot Neighbor...bad enough I had to take your wet clothes out of the washer yet again so I could have a crack at it, but how stupid are you to have left EIGHTY DOLLARS and assorted change in your pockets?! It's damn lucky for you I'm an honest sort, and tossed the soggy moolah into your basket...said basket still being there after my clothes had finished the washing and drying cycles.

Comment

• Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                        Attention, Idiot Neighbor...bad enough I had to take your wet clothes out of the washer yet again so I could have a crack at it, but how stupid are you to have left EIGHTY DOLLARS and assorted change in your pockets?! It's damn lucky for you I'm an honest sort, and tossed the soggy moolah into your basket...said basket still being there after my clothes had finished the washing and drying cycles.
                        But MJ that $80 was a tip to whoever took out the clothes for them. And that assorted change was for the dryer.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I get that there's a national holiday on Tuesday, and people are known to be especially stupid with fireworks, but this pissed me off!

Saturday night, the neighbors on the east side of me were setting off fireworks. It was annoying, but I let it go until a particularly loud one went off about 3 feet from my window (at least, that's what it sounded like). I stormed out the back door and yelled at them, using the excuse that people were trying to sleep (it was around 10:30). At first, they claimed it wasn't them, but almost immediately copped to it.

It's especially stupid to be setting off fireworks in backyards with the houses so close together and trees all around their yard. I'm somewhat surprised they didn't set something on fire.

When I went back inside, my poor cat was running round trying to find somewhere to hide. She eventually hid under the bed. Last night, she was acting scared again, but I'm not sure if it was from farther-off fireworks or the sounds of the neighbors' voices.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

• ^ I'm hearing those really loud ones right now and if I'm correct they are not legal here. I know bottle rockets aren't and there's another kind that looks like a little bomb--totally illegal because they're dangerous.

Comment

• Look, I don't really know you. I call you Blondie because of that. I only know your real name from your mailbox. Saying something to my back as I get into my mailbox--simply because it happens to be across from your porch--is weird, especially after 10:00 pm. I don't even know what you said because you mumbled it, but knowing you it was about what I was carrying or how much mail I had or something obvious to me that you didn't need to point out. So I ignored it because, as I said, I had my back to you. I resent that I feel I have to schedule such mundane activities around times you are not on your porch so I can avoid the awkwardness of feeling like everything you see me do is cataloged. You know, my neighbor right next to me doesn't do that. If we actually pass on the stairs we might say hi, but she doesn't go out of her way to make comments about my life in my general direction but not directly to me. I guess midnight would've been a better time for me to get my mail tonight, which is utterly ridiculous. Also, I'm on the second floor and you're on the first and as far as I can tell you don't do this to your neighbors directly across from you. Stop emotionally stalking me.

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
                                . Saying something to my back as I get into my mailbox--simply because it happens to be across from your porch--is weird, especially after 10:00 pm.
                                You were getting INTO a mailbox? Heck,I might say something if I saw someone trying to squish themselves into a mailbox at any time of day....

The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X