• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Ghel View Post
    I recently got back into Lego ...
    Here are some videos for you:

Complete Tour of BrickFair Virginia 2019 LEGO Expo

My contribution is the pyramid at 2:38 and the ziggurat a few minutes later.

Massive LEGO ancient Egypt Pharaoh's Labyrinth - BrickFair Virginia 2014

I built the Temple and labyrinth at the beginning.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I purchased plans for a PBY Catalina (WWII flying boat) off Etsy, and bricks through Brick Link. It's been an interesting build, but it's on pause (half-complete) for now due to reasons.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Animal, Vegetable, Junk: A History of Food, from Sustainable to Suicidal by Mark Bittman
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

• I just finished reading Bullet Train by Kotaro Isaka. It is an excellent story that takes place on a bullet train.

Five killers on a bullet train from Tokyo are competing for a suitcase full of money. Who will make it to the last station? An original and propulsive thriller from a massive Japanese bestseller.

*SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE STARRING BRAD PITT AND SANDRA BULLOCK*

Satoshi looks like an innocent schoolboy but he is really a viciously cunning psychopath. Kimura's young son is in a coma thanks to him, and Kimura has tracked him onto the bullet train heading from Tokyo to Morioka to exact his revenge. But Kimura soon discovers that they are not the only dangerous passengers onboard.

Nanao, the self-proclaimed 'unluckiest assassin in the world', and the deadly partnership of Tangerine and Lemon are also travelling to Morioka. A suitcase full of money leads others to show their hands. Why are they all on the same train, and who will get off alive at the last station?

A huge bestseller in Japan, Bullet Train is an original and propulsive thriller which fizzes with an incredible energy as its complex net of double-crosses and twists unwinds to the last station.

Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 11-25-2021, 07:38 PM. Reason: Deleted duplicat text.

Comment

• I just finished up the book "There Is No November" by Dave Hoium and Leon Oistad. This book covers the events of the very controversial election for Governor here in Minnesota in 1990.
            I was given this book as a gift from Oistad back in 1996 (we worked on a Congressional campaign that year), and autographed by him also. I won't go into the book much, because of the political nature of the events covered, however, I will say that if I would have read this book (which came out in 1991) before 1994, my political actions would have been very different that year.

Also, it wasn't a good idea reading this book right before bed, because it caused my mind to race like crazy, and I've gotten very little sleep the last few nights.

Edit: Did a DuckDuckGo search, and found out Oistad passed away in 2015. I last saw him in 1998 at the last State Convention I attended.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• I have started reading "Forget The Alamo: The Rise and Fall of an American Myth" by Chris Tomlinson, Jason Stanford, and Bryan Burrough. This book is a history of the formation of Texas which explains how much slavery had to do with it. If it wasn't for American settlers wanting to keep slaves to farm cotton, Texas might not have happened.

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                This week, I got a book on techniques for Lego architecture. I recently got back into Lego because of my 8yo stepson and the show Lego Masters. Instead of just giving instructions for what to build, the book gives tips and ideas for different techniques, which I've been practicing on a small scale. After Halloween, when I tear down my Haunted House sets, I'm going to start building castles like I did as a kid.
                Ooooh, mind sharing the title? I've got a couple of big tubs full of Legos and I'd love some ideas about building techniques. (No sets really as yet, because no space for them. When I've got my own office, it's going to be jam-packed with stuff like this.)

I'm slowly, slowly getting back into reading for pleasure now that I've given up the editing job. We don't have room, though, for any more shelving which means we don't have room for any more books, either. And most of the books are out in storage, and I'm actually not fond of ebooks so I'm kind of limited at the moment. The various Kindle devices and reading on my phone just don't feel right. Or smell right. Our built house will have floor to ceiling bookshelves built in in literally EVERY room that's not a bathroom. Heck, a couple of the bathrooms probably will also wind up with bookshelves, too.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

• Quoth Kittish View Post

Ooooh, mind sharing the title? I've got a couple of big tubs full of Legos and I'd love some ideas about building techniques. (No sets really as yet, because no space for them. When I've got my own office, it's going to be jam-packed with stuff like this.)
                  It's called The LEGO Architecture Idea Book: 1001 Ideas for Brickwork, Siding, Windows, Columns, Roofing, and Much, Much More by Alice Finch. One of the things I like about it is it has part numbers for the Lego elements it uses in the designs, so if you need some/more of them, you can go to sites like bricklink.com (not a sponsor, but I've bought bricks there a couple times) and type in the part number to find the piece easily.

"I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

• It's been over a month since someone posted here. Are you not reading much?

I finished Forget The Alamo. It is an excellent book. I consider it a prime example of critical race theory.

Yesterday I read an old favorite, Phule's Company (1990) by Robert Asprin. A humerous science fiction novel, and the start of a series.

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      ...Yesterday I read an old favorite, Phule's Company (1990) by Robert Asprin. A humerous science fiction novel, and the start of a series.
                      I got the set as e-books from baen.com a few months ago:
                      The Complete Phule's Company Boxed Set, Books 1-6
                      Phule’s Company
                      Phule’s Paradise
                      A Phule and His Money
                      Phule Me Twice
                      No Phule Like an Old Phule
                      Phule’s Errand

I'm a BAD* reader, so they didn't last long...
                      *Book-A-Day
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                        I got the set as e-books from baen.com a few months ago:
                        The Complete Phule's Company Boxed Set, Books 1-6
                        Have you read the Myth Adventures series? Not only do I have the books, I have the two graphic novels of the first book and the board game Myth Fortunes.

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

Have you read the Myth Adventures series? Not only do I have the books, I have the two graphic novels of the first book and the board game Myth Fortunes.
                          I remember waiting with earthworms in my mouth* for the next book!
                          * baited breath
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• My Ex got me the 2 Handmaids Tale books as I am currently watching the TV show. I read the first years ago but still remember the book and the theater movie from 1990. I did not know there was a 2d book from a few years ago
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

• I've continued to read the Expanse series. After Leviathan Wakes, I read Caliban's War, Abaddon's Gate, and I'm currently on Cibola Burn. I expect I'll eventually get through the whole series. Unfortunately, I've been reading them on my lunch breaks at work, and I"m currently quarantining with COVID.

My partner got me the Earthsea series by Ursula K. LeGuin for Christmas. I might have to dig into those while I'm quarantined.
                              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• I am now reading Illegal Aliens by Nick Pollotta and Phil Foglio.

Comment

Working...
                                X