This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange issue

My computer has been loosing internet connection on a regular basis. Odd thing is, when I restart it, everything is fine for a time. Modem is fine, router is fine.. any suggestions?? To clarify .. it has just started doing this about 2 weeks ago, another computer that is hooked up to the router has no issues whatsoever. To my knowledge no settings have been changed, no windows updates have been downloaded. I am totally stumped.
    Last edited by Mytical; 03-11-2019, 01:08 AM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Check for malware.

Delete and reinstall network drivers.

Uninstall and reinstall antivirus, consider switching to different antivirus.

Comment

If you're not running into a malware issue, and Winblows isn't at fault (I know, right?), then we're looking at hardware.
      Cable damaged? They tend to develop breaks right at the plugs.
      Plug/socket dirty/corroded? Just a little bit of crap can do wonders for your frustration level.

Additional debug step: Try plugging computer into different port on router and/or running other computer on the port the problem child uses. Having a router drop just one port... wouldn't be the strangest thing I've seen.

Now to the expensive stuff. The NIC (Network Interface) itself. Yes, they can go out just like routers/modems without taking out the rest of the computer, even if it's a built-in. There are several options for a new NIC, both internal (a card put into a slot inside the computer) and external (usually via USB). A quick search shows both options starting at about $15, but with some looking, one can likely do better. Just make sure the NIC can actually keep up with your connection speeds, and it should be fine.

Comment

Reinstalling drivers seem to do the trick. At least so far it has not happened again. Thank you.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Back and finally got a network protocol error. *sighs* Cables not frayed, exchanging router ports did not help, so I guess it is probably NIC.

Comment

Working...
          X