This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy old woman thinks she's won the jackpot

Ah, scratchcards. Don't you just love them? This happened a little while ago. It was a reasonably quiet day when Crazy Old Woman (SC) decides to grace the petrol station with her presence. She has a scratchcard she wants to claim back on. I scan it into the machine, and she's won £20, not a bad result. But the SC isn't having any of it.

"Excuse me," she said, in that tone of voice where they appear to be acting as tho you are lower than dirt. "Where's the rest of the money?"

I gave her £20, so I'm a little perplexed by this. "I just gave you it."

"I didn't win £20," she replies. "Actually, if you bothered to look properly, I won the jackpot."

This particular scratchcard has a jackpot of £200. She hadn't won it; even if I had missed that, the machine certainly wouldn't. I try to explain this to her, but even after about ten minutes of doing so (time for a giant queue of customers to form behind her), she's still insisting that she's owed £200. I have this feeling of wanting to bang my head against a brick wall. There's a stalemate basically; she refuses to believe me, and I'm not about to give her £200 out of the till that she didn't win. There's no telling how long the stalemate would have lasted, if my manager Tessa hadn't walked thru the door at that moment.

Tessa examined the card, told the SC that she was wrong and had actually only won £20, and that we weren't going to give her any more. The SC finally left, whining about how we had "stolen" her money and that she was going to complain. She never did, and on the times that she's been back, we've not heard another word about the money we "stole" from her.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

As expected

I hope she went to the police and they gave her a good talking to.

Comment

My colleague once had a little old lady who was convinced she'd won a free play on a lottery ticket. No, she'd won the fairly big jackpot on the powerball (I think? I can't quite remember now), and needed to ring the lottery company to claim it! I think my colleague wound up convincing the lady to ask her son for help with it.

Comment

People get things locked in their brains, and won't let go of them even when it's shown to them in print or in real life that they're wrong. The ones that fascinate me are the times when the customer is shown that they're wrong, and the right answer costs them less or gets them a bigger refund, but no, they want what they want.

Comment

Working...
        X