This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth XCashier View Post
    ... the gross swelling on the guy's chest...
    Looks like the poor fellow is halfway through a dick transplant...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Just reporting so far for me the ad's are acceptable. no audio animated but not flashing/fit inducing.

P.S from experience 6-8months after signing up for ads on your site they start to become more tacky less welcome in content. pay attention to feedback around this time.

P.P.S to keep the running cost of the site lower provided you have the RAM on the server check the vbullletin tuning guides. huge difference in CPU load / query speed if MySQL if set-up right. PHP caching also helps.

Comment

I'm not a fan of animated ads. I understand the change to having ads, and I'm okay with it, I'd just rather not have something always moving. So far I've only had one ad that I found to be a bit too much though. I'll keep adblock off as long as they don't get worse from what they are now.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
          Is there any update on the Forum Runner issue? I would like to be able to use the app again if possible.

The ForumRunner plugin has just been updated to the latest version.

I don't know if the app has any sort of configuration or if you have to tell it what things you want push notifications on, or whatever... but check it, take a look at whatever settings it has. If you need to tell it to bookmark or subscribe to things, check your thread subscriptions, etc... you may need to reset that info.
          Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
            Are you paid just to show the banners, or are you only paid per click?
            They slow the loading of a new page perceptively down. I'm thinking about turning them off, but I'd rather not if those few additional seconds will pay some of the expenses.

ETA Mine are animated, not static. No sound.
            It is both - by views and clicks.

They should generally load fairly quickly, but I suppose that could depend upon a few variables. What sort of internet connection do you have?
            Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              I don't mind them too much, but I would rather not see that one with the gross swelling on the guy's chest. I keep reporting it, but it keeps showing up.
              What is the Ad for? I'll take a look and see if I can remove it.
              Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Quoth Hibble View Post

P.S from experience 6-8months after signing up for ads on your site they start to become more tacky less welcome in content. pay attention to feedback around this time.

P.P.S to keep the running cost of the site lower provided you have the RAM on the server check the vbullletin tuning guides. huge difference in CPU load / query speed if MySQL if set-up right. PHP caching also helps.

I actively disallow certain types/categories of ads from being shown with the explicit intent of not permitting the more tacky Ads.

As for the config stuff... I'm holding off on that type of tuning until after I have functioning all the features that are supposed to be working. We have well more than enough ram(32GB) for most anything, so that's not a worry
                Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Never saw any ads; then again, I do have Adblock enabled.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth PrplPplEater View Post
                    What sort of internet connection do you have?
                    Broadband, but shared with my neighbours. Speedtest.net says that I have at the moment (when everybody is just home from work and going online) 7.49 Mbps down, 3,95 up.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                      Broadband, but shared with my neighbours. Speedtest.net says that I have at the moment (when everybody is just home from work and going online) 7.49 Mbps down, 3,95 up.
                      Well, I'd say that is well more than fast enough, for sure! That's roughly what I have at home and it definitely tends to load things just fine there, on most occasions.
                      The ads are served by Google's servers (it's just the javascript telling your browser to get the ads from them that is in our pages), so that should be plenty fast enough as well.

That said, I *HAVE* seen occasions where ads have taken longer than expected to load, but it typically isn't the norm; it's always been more of a once-in-a-while thing (and usually it seems to have been when there is something else going on like peak internet hours, or I have a movie downloading, etc..).
                      Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                        Hmm...I'm not seeing the ads on IE11, which doesn't have an AdBlock that I know of. I wouldn't mind having them on the site if they're discreet and it helps server costs, so does anyone know how I can make IE let them through for this site?
                        I am testing and posting this under IE11, and I'm seeing the Ads, so I know the browser does it. Inside a thread, there are only two ads - one at the very top, and one at the very bottom.

My thoughts are to check to make sure JavaScript is enabled - Google loads the Ads via JavaScript, and also to check to see what Add-Ons you have enabled - there may be something in there blocking without you even knowing.

Can you see Ads anywhere on other sites??
                        Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          Never saw any ads; then again, I do have Adblock enabled.
                          I have it, too, but I did see the ads briefly at the beginning. But they are gone now.
                          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

What is the Ad for? I'll take a look and see if I can remove it.
                            Funny how when you asked, the ad didn't show up for several days. I had to go onto Fratching to find it.

It's for The Blood Pressure Solution
                            bloodpressuresolution.com

Thanks!
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Thank you, looking into getting it blocked.
                              Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

I am testing and posting this under IE11, and I'm seeing the Ads, so I know the browser does it. Inside a thread, there are only two ads - one at the very top, and one at the very bottom.

My thoughts are to check to make sure JavaScript is enabled - Google loads the Ads via JavaScript, and also to check to see what Add-Ons you have enabled - there may be something in there blocking without you even knowing.

Can you see Ads anywhere on other sites??
                                Hm, seems it's the Tracking Protection service built into IE11 that does it. I turned off Tracking Protection and the ads showed up. I'll leave that off for this site for now.
                                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                                X