This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    As for the N/A beer, non-alcoholic beer DOES have alcohol in it. The typical N/A beer is 0.5% ABV by volume, which is 1/8th to 1/10th of a regular beer. You'd have to drink a shitload very quickly to catch any buzz at all. But since it does technically have alcohol, I understand why it may require carding in many places. (I don't know if N/A wine is the same way, as I have never worked in a place that sells it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were similar.)
    We used to card people for vanilla essence, food colouring and food essences.

Apparently some kids interstate had mixed the stuff into some soft drink, drunk it and then one of them ended up dying from hypothermia or similar.

I had a look at a bottle one day: 30% alcohol
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

^ I was thinking "hypothermia??" and then I realized imitation vanilla can contain propylene glycol, commonly found in anti-freeze.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I heard about this on another forum I frequent..... That had to be one hell of a day for you.
        If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

When I use the self-checks at my grocery store, sometimes the ID prompt comes up for cat food. No idea why.
          Random Doctor Who quote:
          "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
          I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            We used to card people for vanilla essence, food colouring and food essences.

Apparently some kids interstate had mixed the stuff into some soft drink, drunk it and then one of them ended up dying from hypothermia or similar.

I had a look at a bottle one day: 30% alcohol
            Down here in Florida, teenagers have been drinking hand sanitizer to get high because it contains alcohol. Of course it makes them sick. I wonder if they are going to make us card people for hand sanitizer.

Comment

Well, yesterday, it was all Pepsi products except for reg Mountain Dew. We joked that it was all a plot by Coke. It was really wierd. Our supervisors just said to put in a generic id.
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth pzychobitch View Post
                I heard about this on another forum I frequent..... That had to be one hell of a day for you.
                No; I only had to card 2 customers total, one on Friday and one on Sat. We all had a good laugh over it. One lady said, "What are they putting in Pepsi nowadays??"

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  For us it was Pepsi, and only regular Pepsi. All of the other Pepsi products went through fine.
                  I'm thinking Coca-cola had to be behind it.

*Sorry, Lovecats, didn't see your post first.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    absinthe. .
                    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Root beer. Ginger ale. Birch beer. Ginger beer. All completely non-alcoholic, but with alcoholic names in them. And, to really let the monkey toss in a crescent wrench, while we associate the word "punch" with just a medley of fruit juices, the original punch was a very alcoholic party beverage, which I recently learned from my mixology course.

As for the N/A beer, non-alcoholic beer DOES have alcohol in it. The typical N/A beer is 0.5% ABV by volume, which is 1/8th to 1/10th of a regular beer. You'd have to drink a shitload very quickly to catch any buzz at all. But since it does technically have alcohol, I understand why it may require carding in many places. (I don't know if N/A wine is the same way, as I have never worked in a place that sells it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were similar.)
                      Don't know about the others, but Root Beer used to have alcohol. Back when I was a kid, I saw some flavour concentrate by Hires, and read the label on the box - after adding the water and sugar, you'd carbonate the result by adding yeast.

As for the N/A beer, you've probably all seen 2-litre soda bottles, but the burrocrats (etymologically, "bureaucrat" means "rule by the person behind the desk", but in this case "rule by the jackasses" is more appropriate) obviously haven't. To get the same effect as one regular beer (5% ABV here in Canuckistan), someone would have to drink a fluid volume between 1 1/2 and 2 of those bottles. Hard to see anyone whose kidneys could process the water content faster than their liver could process the alcohol content.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                        There's a very small amount of alcohol in N/A beers. That's, probably, why.
                        true but it's less than .5%
                        by that mentality you should have to card for vanilla extract and mouth wash because they both have alcohol

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          My register crashed 2 days in a row. What is UP? Also, every year we review the company, and my answer to "I have the necessary tools to do my job effectively" is to score it the lowest possible.
                          We used to have those surveys as well but nobody listened to what we had to say on them.

Besides, it was also an unwritten rule that certain ones who rated the company poor on too many criteria were considered "troublemakers."

In which case, I'm proud to be one. You asked for my honest opinion, and I gave it. What the company does with that info is on them IMO.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

tho i'm also curious.

what would happen if someone underage tried buying the soda?

Comment

If you still have that glitch in the system, then I'm sure I'll be seeing plenty of your posts in the SC forum about customers shrieking about the ID rule. "I'm only buying SODA!!!" At least you got some nice, understanding ones as well!!!

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                                tho i'm also curious. what would happen if someone underage tried buying the soda?
                                We would just have a supervisor punch in a random birthdate and supervisor numbers, probably.

Comment

Working...
                                X