This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping basement cats emerge

Unfortunately I have two basement cats. For some ridiculous reason, my mother brought home another dog a year ago...and he's cute when he's not barking (which is about five minutes each day). For some reason, my two male cats are so scared of him that they hide in the basement all day and all night. They have litter, food, water, toys, and places to sleep down there, but I just miss them.

My female cat loves attention and food so much that she hid for about a week. Those other two have not made any progress at all. And I don't know why since the new dog is only a bit larger than a house cat himself. Meanwhile, the dog they were all friendly with that we had before is about 50 pounds and much larger than the new dog.

I have tried everything to get them upstairs. My younger male is especially skittish. He will run in my room and squeeze himself under my bed in a spot where I can't get him out and I have to poke him with a yardstick to chase him out. Even if I block off all access to under my bed, he somehow finds a way under, and he will stay under there for hours and hours, likely hungry and shitting himself. The dog will bark like mad when he sees these cats. I had heard it would take cats about six months or so to get used to a new dog...mine show no desire at all to come back upstairs where they could get attention.

I just really miss seeing my cats come upstairs. Anyone else ever deal with this? Should I block access to the basement and bring the cats upstairs? Muzzle the dog? The dog is afraid to go down the stairs, so the cats are safe in the basement, but goddammit the cats were here before that little barking asshole.

The issue is the dog, of course, but not in a way worthy of muzzling or eviction. Spend a day if you can observing the dog and figure out WHY its barking all the time. From there if the barking stimulus can't be removed, you will have to train the dog. Honestly, I would be pushing very much for your mother, who brought the dog in, to do the training, if she is able, or at least help with it.

If you have cable TV, I actually recommend Animal Planet's It's Me or The Dog. Decent enough show, and through the episodes I've watched, they cover a majority of canine issues and how they can be dealt with.

As for the cats, once you have the yapper sorted out and quiet, they will come out again, provided they don't just really like it down there.
    Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
    Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

I'd train the dog (or try to) if I knew my mother would not undo all my progress. Her idea of training is screaming at the dog, threatening him with the fly swatter and, if all else fails, giving him a smack with the fly swatter. Usually he only gets smacked when Mom's angry or tired - most often, she just idly threatens him.

Thing is this doesn't do much...her other dog responded to this kind of discipline, but the new dog does not. So rather than try something new, Mom simply defines insanity by doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The dog is overly excitable - when he barks at the cats, his tail wags, so I think it's a matter of him trying to make sure we know the cat is there and maybe that he wants to play. I almost kind of wish the cats would just give him a bop on the nose to show him they aren't helpless. Both have very sharp claws, so he'd feel it.

The dog doesn't even need to bark...when it's quiet and I bring one of the basement cats up, they bolt right back down the stairs. And unfortunately, we have no cable. Le sigh.

Comment

Your mother should not own dogs.

I thought my girlcat was bad. She'll hide for a bit when the dog first comes over (my parents dog sit for their friend sometimes; I think he's still there this week, actually) but eventually she ventures out. She spends most of her time in the bedroom, anyway, but their litterbox is in the basement, and their food is in the kitchen (though it gets moved into the front bedroom, and the hallway blocked off with a baby gate, when the dog is there so he can't eat it).
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You might take this as harsh advice, but this is coming from someone who trains dogs and you have to understand this is for the best.

You should still train the dog or take it to a trainer with your mother. The dog WILL learn that it cannot get away with this with YOU, it can continue it's good behavior when you are not in the house, it will take longer but it will happen. If the dog behaves when you are in the house, the cats will come out then at the very least. For the sake of the dog's mental health train it. He is over excitable because 1) He has too much energy, give him something active to do, long walks daily AND play time. 2) He doesn't know how to react in another way AND he is looking for attention, he is getting a reaction for what he is doing, a very bad one, but it is still a reaction from the humans so he continues it.

I also 2nd watching It's me or the dog especially if you aren't going to go to a trainer. Also keep in mind just you training him means he has one person he respects and responds too so should there be an emergency, he gets loose or something he will come to you. I have three people in my house, I trained my dog, while my parents don't do the same type of training I do, my dog still knows how to act because I stayed consistent with her even if they didn't. Remember It might take longer to train your dog, but you should do it anyway, it will eventually learn.

If no one is going to train it and put in the time to get the energy out of him, then he needs to be given to a owner that will. I hate to be harsh but it's true, him barking constantly is a sign of too much energy and between that and your mother's way of "training" it's doing nothing but hurting him. It's not good for the cats either. So you family needs to make that choice, and not wait any longer. If your mother doesn't want to give up the dog then you really should look into getting the dog away from her, she is abusing it. Like I said, harsh but it needs to be said.
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I second all the above comments.

I also like the Dog Whisperer, and they show reruns all the time on Nat Geo.

If your mom will not train the dog you must. Make yourself the pack leader, and the dog will fall in line, and will actually obey you when it won't obey your mom.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten complaints from your neighbors. If the Animal Control in your area has any teeth, you can get hit with fines for keeping a barking dog.

Little dogs often have more attitude than big ones, but they are just as trainable if you make yourself the boss. My cousin has a rat terrier who is poorly socialized and behaves poorly around other people, dogs and cats. She came to visit me with the dog. I didn't like her barking at my in my own house, so I looked her in the eye, snapped my fingers, and said, "Shh!" in a firm voice. Bea looked at me like she'd grown a second head. She started to bark again.

"Sssh!"

She quieted. By the end of the day she was following all my instructions, and was perfectly behaved. Karen was astonished. She'd never had any luck getting her to behave.

It's all about being well balanced yourself: confident, know who's boss. Correction is love for a dog, if done properly.

On a side note: your mom's new dog should be glad you don't have my cat Stumps.

He eats dogs for lunch. All the dogs in my neighborhood are afraid of him.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Oh he definitely does not get enough exercise. His previous owners would let him run around the yard to exercise, whereas we have no fence or anything and all the animals are indoor-only. Combine with my mother having arthritis, there's little walking beyond short potty breaks. And I walk them when I can, but I admit when it's cold out, I want in the house ASAP. Mom's idiot doesn't work, but he's never home and the dogs are often crated all day long as a result.

But due to the dog's lack of exercise, his weight has doubled in a year. He was 11 pounds when we got him and now he's around 21 pounds. And I think Mom only brought him home because his last owner said he was worth several hundred dollars and couldn't give him enough attention, so she gave him away. Expensive dog for free? Mom was on that like shit on velcro. Never mind that he doesn't get attention between 7:30 am and 6 pm.

I will do what I can to train him myself, so I'll have to find a place to start. Honestly, sometimes I find that saying, "Quit barking or you're going in your cage" will silence him. He hears "cage" and may quiet down, whereas the older dog will gladly bark from her kennel.

And unfortunately, if I put an ad in the paper to re-home the dog, she will see it. And if I get the dog away from her, she will probably abuse me and just go and get him back. This is assuming there was anywhere to take him since I know for a fact the local animal shelter is too full to take in anymore animals.

We live out in the country next to a dog kennel, so the yapping is not an issue with the neighbors. But thank you very much for the advice...I'll see if I can find some sources on dog training and see what I can do for this dog so I can rescue my kitties from the cellar. I don't even see why she wants to keep him when she's got such a short temper with barking.

Can I borrow Stumps, Panacea? Maybe he can set the dog and my mother straight.

Comment

I'm embarrased to admit that this was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.
                Please, be the Boss for this dog-- I hate when people don't take care of their animals-- and not giving proper mental care is 'not taking care of an animal,' like your mother is doing. I see it too many times where I'm at, because college students who think they're lonely and think it'll be fixed by an animal and then they're never home unless it's to party from 11 pm to whenever people call the cops... maybe I should just call the cops for them abusing their animals. :shudder: Not having the time or money is why I don't have an animal, not that that stops 80 percent of the people I live next to.
                ... sorry about the rant, it's a hit-nerve.
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Oh trust me, it hits a nerve with me too. And I cannot count how many stories I heard in college about the RAs confiscating pets from students' dorm rooms. People would sneak in cats and rodents that inevitably got neglected, and then they'd get taken away. We were allowed fish, but shit, THAT even proved to be too much responsibility.

Like my old roommate. She brought home a betta, which I know are very hardy little critters. It died after six weeks. I watched my roomie flush the fish and his water - the water looked like chocolate milk. It was that filthy that I couldn't even see the fish. The fun thing is this roomie dropped out because she was pregnant. I wonder if her child is still alive since it took her so little time to do in a fish.

All I know is the dog will need to be trained at home because no one in the house can afford any sort of extra expenses. Dog obedience classes would be an extra expense.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
                    Oh he definitely does not get enough exercise. His previous owners would let him run around the yard to exercise, whereas we have no fence or anything and all the animals are indoor-only. Combine with my mother having arthritis, there's little walking beyond short potty breaks. And I walk them when I can, but I admit when it's cold out, I want in the house ASAP. Mom's idiot doesn't work, but he's never home and the dogs are often crated all day long as a result.

But due to the dog's lack of exercise, his weight has doubled in a year. He was 11 pounds when we got him and now he's around 21 pounds. And I think Mom only brought him home because his last owner said he was worth several hundred dollars and couldn't give him enough attention, so she gave him away. Expensive dog for free? Mom was on that like shit on velcro. Never mind that he doesn't get attention between 7:30 am and 6 pm.

I will do what I can to train him myself, so I'll have to find a place to start. Honestly, sometimes I find that saying, "Quit barking or you're going in your cage" will silence him. He hears "cage" and may quiet down, whereas the older dog will gladly bark from her kennel.

And unfortunately, if I put an ad in the paper to re-home the dog, she will see it. And if I get the dog away from her, she will probably abuse me and just go and get him back. This is assuming there was anywhere to take him since I know for a fact the local animal shelter is too full to take in anymore animals.

We live out in the country next to a dog kennel, so the yapping is not an issue with the neighbors. But thank you very much for the advice...I'll see if I can find some sources on dog training and see what I can do for this dog so I can rescue my kitties from the cellar. I don't even see why she wants to keep him when she's got such a short temper with barking.

Can I borrow Stumps, Panacea? Maybe he can set the dog and my mother straight.
                    Sorry, Stumps is a one woman cat (he's snuggled up to me now, taking nap time. He had a busy day playing tag with my neighbor's cat while I cleaned up the front yard).

Try the websites for Dog Whisperer and It's Me or the Dog. They've got some basic tips, including what NOT to do. I know Caesar Milan and Victoria Stilwell have written books on the subject as well. I like them both, though Victoria has some philosophical differences with Caesar.

The dog should not view the crate as a punishment. It should be his "safe" place, his private room where he won't be bothered. Evil Empryss's dog Goldie is crate trained, and goes to it willingly, but only when everyone is going out. They usually take her to the bathroom first, and as soon as they get home. The rest of the time she runs free.

A dog that is crated for long periods of time get bored and develops anxiety and other mental problems, much like a human in solitary confinement. It should be a short term use, for a few hours at most. When I dog sit Goldie, I always come home at lunch to let her out and I let her run around in my fenced yard for 45 minutes to an hour. Then I give her a treat when she goes back in the crate. She's never messed her crate, and I never have to fight to get her into it.

I know you have transportation problems, so that will be an issue for you until you can afford a car. Once you can, I urge you to let your dogs out during your lunch hour.

I know you said your dogs were indoor dogs, but the one apparently is used to being outdoors. Have you considered a kennel or dog run? Or fencing your back yard? I don't recommend chaining a dog, but a few hours a day outdoors will help burn off some energy.

But nothing will replace someone walking the dogs on a daily basis. They need both the exercise and the human interaction to learn good behavior.

And I know you've said you struggled with your weight: dog walking is excellent exercise. I considered getting a dog for that reason . . . and decided not to only because I work two jobs and am not home for extended periods of time. Not fair to the dog. Cats are much more self sufficient.

You could try finding a dog rescue group. You said the dog was expensive . . . there are some rescues dedicated to specific breeds. They would rehome the dog (rescue organizations are no-kill), and if you told them about what your mom is like they would not give the dog back no matter what she said.

And, while I hate to suggest this, you could simply lie to her and say the dog slipped out and got away from you.

No offense, but your mother should not own dogs. She clearly cannot take care of them, and it is not fair to you to make you do it.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I 2nd everything Panacea said, I don't agree with Caesar Milan his techniques that can be used in the wrong way too easily and shouldn't be done without the help of a professional trainer, I feel it's not meant for a lot of dogs. Anything else I said isn't for this forum. I do feel however Victoria Stilwell's techniques are a little more "user friendly".
                      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I'm not sure how much time the dogs would have to be out and about at lunch since it takes me about 15 minutes to get from work to home, and 15 more to get back. My mother's idiot is home all day long usually, but he's too busy doing stupid shit to even let them out.

And sadly, the yard is enormous...fencing it would require a load of money. There is a little doggy kennel attached to the shed, but it was turned into a green house several years ago.

When it's warm out, I always like going out with the dogs and taking them all over the yard. It's just in the winter, I hate being outside at all. Honestly, often times the older dog is allowed to run freely around the house because she can be trusted to behave. Meanwhile, the younger dog likes to eat things he shouldn't and go after the one cat that does come upstairs (due to Mother's idiot training him to chase her), so he gets crated whenever we go anywhere.

I would love to be able to just open the door and tell the dogs to go play. If they could be trusted to not run away and stay in the yard, I'd say yeah, let them have fun. Even if they had a little spot in the yard fenced off to play in. I know the younger dog wants to play because he can get wild when he's walked. He'll run full-tilt and hurl himself and choke against his collar to get a centimeter closer to some spot in the grass. He likes playing with the older dog. He likes to run laps. Of course when he does this when Mom walks him, she screams at him.

Mom probably just isn't used to an energetic dog - she's used to a calmer one like her older one. It's been a while since we had a really wily pet in here. I will look into the suggested information sources, though, and see if there's anything I can try on the dog to make him behave.

And unfortunately, the no-kill shelter is too full to take in more pets and there are no local rescues for his breed. So I will see what I can do from home.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
                          I will look into the suggested information sources, though, and see if there's anything I can try on the dog to make him behave.
                          Keep in mind it could take MONTHS to a year to get him to where he is behaving. Do not give up on him, walk him as often as possible, play with him as often as possible. There are long leashes you can get to use to play ball with him or something so he can run around.

Comment

I'd seriously fence off a portion of the yard, as large as you can feasibly afford.

Use one wall of the house as one section of the fence, and try to fence the rest to at least as far as you can hurl a tennis ball.

Dogs - even energetic dogs - like to be WITH their humans; so you're going to need to at least go outside and read a book while they're playing. They prefer to play with you, thus the 'hurl a tennis ball' rule of thumb.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                            X