This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hanging out"

I guess I must be getting old because I have been having the "when I was younger" thoughts in my head the past year or so.

In our community we have this group of teenagers who have started to "hang out" between the corners of two of the buildings. Initially some residents called the police on them but whenever they came nothing happened (not meaning the police didn't come, they'd come, speak to them, and then leave). Turns out one of them is the son of one of the unit owners. Personally, I guess they aren't doing much if the police are leaving them be.

I'm wondering - is this the "cool" thing now? To just stand around, smoke, and talk? Honestly, when I was a teenager (and older) the LAST place I'd want to hang out was my house (unless we had a D&D game or networked PC games planned). If we didn't want to do much we'd go to a local diner, sit and talk for a few hours (we always tipped well and kept the drinks / food coming), go to Dunkin Donuts, or go to the local mall's food court. One of them does have a car so they do have access (plus there is a bus stop (finally moved off our property) a couple hundred feet down the street (with a mall 5 minutes away, many small restaurants / diners, etc.).

So is this a new "cool" thing or the fact that I grew up in a completely different kind of neighborhood (grew up in "suburbia" while we live in an urban area now).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Draggar, I too am a suburban kid, and I have to tell you...this is absolutely nothing new. Perhaps you didn't do this. Perhaps people didn't do this in your neighborhood. But teens have been doing this for a long, long time.

And yes, this is a sign that you are getting old. Not because you didn't recognize it as a teen thing to do. But because it bothered you enough that you noticed it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Pretty soon you'll be waving a cane about "those darn kids on the lawn" :P

Nah its a completely normal thing. It's only when they are causing damage that it should be a problem. Reminds me on a COPS episode once where a little old lady kept calling on teens playing basketball.

Comment

My friends and I used to just chill. Pick one friend's place and just go there and hang out. Seemed normal to me.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
          I can't help but wonder if their parents know or even give a shit about what their kids are doing.
          Question, not just for patiokitty but for all of you: Did your parents know what you were doing when you were a teenager? Mine sure as fuck didn't much of the time, for the very simple reason that I made a point of them not knowing!

Now, whether or not the parents give a shit, who knows? I'm sure that some do and some don't. Just like when I was a teen!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Mine always knew where I was, because I spent my teen years in a fairly rough mining town. I always made sure that one of my parents (Normally my dad, because he's awesome) knew where I was, who I was with and when I was due back. Always went out with a group, it's just safer that way. The only time that we just sat around and chatted was at school, during breaks. Other than that, there was always something to do.
            Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Yeah, mine knew...well, most of the time.

The main exception I can think of is, they didn't know how often we went up on the railroad tracks a couple blocks away. I remember one time when my brother and I walked those tracks for blocks and blocks, until we saw a train coming. We had to scramble down the slope above somebody's backyard and wait until it passed, while their dog barked its ass off at two dumb kids hiding in the bushes above his yard.

Come to think of it....I have no idea what my brother might have got up to with his friends when I wasn't with him!
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My mother always knew where I was and what I was doing cause she kept me trapped in the house 24 hours a day

As for my kids they tend to hang out a lot too....generally in MY house in their rooms.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Please. We have them park & hang out in front of the C-store at night. Apparently, C-store is the cool place to be sometimes. Whatever. As long as they're gone by closing, I really couldn't care less!
                  "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

My little brother hung out in my closet...

after I stuffed half a dozen coat hangers in the back of his shirt!

it was only for a moment and with his permission.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Depends on when. Up to about 13? Yep they knew. 14-16 nope. 16-18 yes.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I'll second (third, fourth, ) the "yeah that's what that breed does."
                        The only reason I didn't do that when I was younger was I had no friends to do that with, nor place to do it at. (rural, quite the drive to anywhere else, didn't feel like it either)
                        I do that nowadays, on occasions. XD Usually in the evenings at bars tho, when it does happen.
                        At least they aren't being little shits and destroying stuff or causing havoc.
                        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                        X