This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Atomic Day Trip (pic heavy)

To the place where it all began on The Day the Sun Rose Twice.

Contrary to the last time we were there 7 years ago,the weather was damn near perfect,no clouds,80-85F,light winds,so nice that Mrs Frantic was worried about the critters,I assured her they were still hibernating.

This is the ranchhouse where the Gadget was assembled

Ground Zero

You can see why they set it off there

The remnants of the tower

Trinitite!

On the way home we saw the start of our fire season & it's gonna be a doozy....

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Impressive pictures, mate. Not quite eerie, but a very interesting aspect of history.

Rapscallion

Comment

Very cool pics
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Amazing how something so destructive was first tested at a site that looks so peaceful.

I was looking at the site, radiation levels are far lower than I would have expected.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I'm reminded of the photoessay that was posted online a few years back about the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.

It's amazing what the difference is between the Trinity site, and Pripyat. (For one, If you stay in Pripyat for too long, you'll probably start glowing in the dark, regardless of what the geiger counters say)

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
            I'm reminded of the photoessay that was posted online a few years back about the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.
            This one: http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl...es/author.html ?
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

A-yep. First saw that one around 2004-ish If i recall right.

Comment

Congrats. That's going to be the last free open-house at the Trinity site. From now on, it'll cost $.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                  Congrats. That's going to be the last free open-house at the Trinity site. From now on, it'll cost $.
                  Yep,from now on it's $10 for motorcycles,$25 per car & $100 per bus.
                  "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Heh. I've had enough of those views, I like it in MyCity. Out where my parents live (even tho I'm far north of Trinity and you Freddie) and my surviving grandparents (around where Trinity/Alamagordo/Freddie is) it looks like that. I can live without the desert scrub.
                    *goes to look up Trinitite* it looks nifty, yes it does.
                    EDIT: and hell yeah, that must have been nice and peaceful out there.
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I forgot to mention a couple of interesting things...

The reason the site's open only in early spring & late fall is because in the winter it can be brutally cold & windy,in the summer the place is literally crawling with rattlesnakes & scorpions.

This is kinda funny: It was known that a small herd of antelope lived in the area but when the biologists went in after the test they couldn't find any & it was assumed they'd all died in the blast.But after the publication of The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes (excellent book,I highly recommend it) the truth came out: A couple of the soldiers detailed as guards were good ol' boy hunters & when fresh meat showed up in the mess hall nobody asked any questions

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X