Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolf grumbles something in his native Celtic (now a bastardized combination of Welsh, Gaelic, and a hefty dose of Germanic epithets.) and lowers the knife. ((it's a planetary dialect. I figure most planets have one))
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 10-29-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Rowan- heading toward the Deucalion with Zahn

Rowan taps her lips thoughtfully as they walk.

"Well, obviously we could simply refuse the suspect jobs, but that doesn't seem like the greatest idea from a financial standpoint. We could take half, split them up. Assuming they do have nefarious plans, that would make their task harder, and ours easier. Or we could accept all of them, and be on alert. How many are we talking about? Whatever else we do, I suggest we have Wolf do some background checking on the passengers and look for rumors of criminals of the sort we're expecting."

After a moment, she adds, " I know it's an added expense, but if we take the lot of them, it would be prudent to use the spaceport's scanner service to see any weapons. I would suggest we lock any we find in our gun safe upon boarding, then when any guests are otherwise occupied, move them to the hidden safe."

Comment

Zahn- heading toward the Deucalion with Rowan

Zhan leans towards Rowan as they walk briskly, cutting through the market crowds, and shows her the display...

[F. Brisket] --/-- [Transport 3 workers] --/-- [New Melbourne] [Meridian Heavy Industries] --/-- [Good] [35%]
        [S. Lerga] --/-- [Transport self] --/-- [New Melbourne] [n/a] --/-- [Low] [n/a]
        [R. Kellins] --/-- [Transport self] --/-- [Faraday] [n/a] --/-- [Low] [n/a]

Commenting expositorily, "The headhunter managing the Meridian job is known to have had some dirty dealings in the past and frankly gives me the sense that he is now when I talked to him over the comm just recently, combined with the exorbitant rate of his cut says to me this isn't above board. Lerga and I spoke earlier and he sounds to be of semi-Slavic descent. I don't know how much you know about the local crime syndicate but there is a Skyplex-station in orbit over this planet in which a crime lord with a rather vicious reputation does bussiness from. He's also of Slavic descent, if he's in any way related to the owner of that station, running from or working for we could be in trouble either way. However both of these jobs are on the very same planet making them quite attractive fiscally. Kellins is going to Faraday, which is in the same system and thus not a far jump from our primary destination. Also, he is at the ship right now, but Mando hasn't taken a liking to the gentleman. Now all of this could be nothing, but it could be something. So for the interest of our accounts we'll take the jobs, and in the interest of our safety we'll be taking your advice."

Zhan sends a text-based wave to Lerga confirming the acceptence of his passage to New Melbourne and requesting he arrive at the docking space to meet the captain before recieving departure schedule in one hour, and that he send a wave if he is to be late.

"Have Tucker look into our future passengers and more on Briskett as well, make sure that he get's the identities of those workers and whatever he can find on them as well, and call port security services to rent the scanner." Zhan orders while handing Rowan the comm without looking over, "Make it so."

Comment

Deucalion-- Wolf, Lizzie, Mando + Ricky Kellins

"It's Mando," the big man reminds Wolf, like he does every time he overhears the Celt's nickname. No rancor to the words, just the patient stoicism of a rock. He'd been trimming the stubble on his jaw with the edge of his own knife, which probably hadn't done much for Kellins' nerves.

When Wolf addressed the skinny man, however, Kellins didn't seem to respond. He was still muttering to himself and eyeballing the ramp and the apparent shelter of the ship within, not appearing to notice either man with the scary knives, or if so, not really categorizing them as "threat." Given that he seems lost in his own little world, somewhat, this isn't too surprising. But then he tries to step onto the ramp, and Wolf growls at him, and this finally seems to penetrate into Kellins' head.

Kellins stares at Wolf, wide-eyed, and there's still that weird disconnect. He sees Wolf, he sees the knife, he sees and comprehends the threat being made, but it still doesn't seem to trigger the right social responses. When Lizzie addresses him, Kellins' eyes flick over to her, and blink a few times before he responds.

"I need to get to Faraday. It's very important I get to Faraday right away. You're going my way, right? You can take me to Faraday, get me there before it's too late? I need to get there right away." And Kellins keeps rambling in this fashion, his voice dropping to that same mumble, and it becomes clear that's what he was muttering to himself all this time. Lizzie's practiced medical eye would definitely pick up some slightly worrying signs: A bowing to his legs, coupled with the paleness of his skin, speaks to long-term vitamin-D deficiency, but there's also a bloodshot quality to his eyes and a darkening to his nostrils that speaks to a drugs habit, likely "dust."*

* GM Note-- "Dust" is basically space cocaine. Or space heroin. Or space any-drug-that-can-be-taken-nasally.

Trader Jim's Discount Emporium - Sama & Tucker + Kevork Papazian

Tucker's unspoken threat goes entirely unnoticed by pretty much everybody that walks by Trader Jim's Discount Emporium. There are plenty of hard-looking folk that do similar stances or non-verbal statements, so it tends to get lost in the background. The only people that do take any notice are some Alliance soldiers and their officer that walk by. But even their return stare is just the kind that one expects from soldiers that spot someone openly carrying a weapon.

Since Tucker isn't offering any actual violence, the soldiers move on, and the squad's sergeant starts barking out a quick-march cadence as the troops hustle out back to their garrison a couple of miles away.

Sama's negotiations with Papazian appear to be winding down at this point anyway. He puts a hand to his chest, somewhat over-dramatically, turning his eyes heavenward and uttering what's probably a prayer in his native tongue. "Woman, you will beggar me-- beggar me! I have offered you the best I can reasonably acquire for you, and you still want more from me?" He sighs, shaking his head. "Fifty percent mark down, very well. BUT!" And he raises a finger, wagging it at her, "Do not go asking for more than that, I have been more than generous." He strikes the phase adaptor off the list and passes it off to one of his employees, who starts calling things out in the same language as Papazian. Workers start to collect the parts and supplies.

Papazian himself, meanwhile, is drawing up an invoice, muttering calculations to himself. He presents the invoice to Sama. Sure enough, there's the itemized list, with prices listed, and the agreed-upon 50% discount. He does have reasonable rates, by the look of it. "Once you have satisfied yourself that what you need is all there, sign off on it-- or wave it off to your captain for his escutcheon**-- and I will have my people deliver it to your ship."

** GM Note-- "Escutcheon" is a common term now in the 'Verse for a person's signature or mark of identity. Since some folk sign in Common/English, while others use Chinese characters.

Haller Landing Markets - Zhan & Rowan + Comms

On the comm with Mr. Brisket
          "Fair man," Brisket says, when the captain expresses his wishes to meet the headhunter and workers at the ship before signing off on the job, "I tend to prefer doin' business with a man face-to-face, not over a comm-wave, m'self. Would prefer you'd be leavin' sooner'n oh-six, but it's your ship. I expect you to max your speed after you break atmo. Full burn your--" and this is where Zhan interrupts to talk to him about astronavigation.

Brisket growls in response. "Don't you talk to me about astronav, purple-belly. You think I don't know about slingshots and grav-pull? I did my time before the mast on a frigate, before and during the war." There's a slight hiss on his end, and the crackle of burning paper. Probably taking a pull on a cigarette. After a heavy exhalation, the headhunter snaps, "You wanna meet me and my workers before agreeing to the job? Like hell I'm waitin' till oh-six. There's a pub down by the docks, the Falling Sky. I'll be there with my workers in an hour. You want the job, you meet me there. Or I'll find some other captain who needs the coin." Once Cook agrees to this, Brisket abruptly disconnects.

It's a few minutes after Zhan sends the text-wave to Lerga when the man replies with a cheerful agreement to meet at the requested time.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Lizzie - with Wolf, Mando, and Kellins at Deucalion loading ramp

Lizzie's smile fades as she attempts to make eye contact with Kellins, but fails. Trying to hide her irritation at not getting through to him, she focuses her concern into her voice. "What's at Faraday? What will happen if you're too late?"
            Last edited by Ghel; 10-29-2013, 08:24 PM.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Sama With Tucker at the market

She goes over it quickly nodding to herself offering her hand on the bargain, "I shall sing your high praises and tell many of your honest work and high quality!"

She signs off on it, and gives directions to the ship. She pushes the package she had been handed into Tucker's arms, "drop that and I will gut you in your sleep...." the item a lot heavier then expected for its size.

She pulls out her own comm unit and opens a channel to anyone on the ship, "Hey this is Sama with Tucker, no problems here, but I've got a shipment of parts and supplies being sent to the ship, don't want you guys shooting first and asking questions later....Tucker promised he'd go dress shopping with me, so we'll be back later less you need us...no more then an hour or so. Think he'll look good in pink frills?"
              It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Wolf -- Deucaleon ramp
                The rawboned man turned to Mando. "Y'know, Mando, I can see why this guy strikes you as wrong..."
                Wolf always referred to Mando by his correct name when he wanted to get his point across to the man.

Comment

Rowan- exiting the markets with Zahn

"Have Tucker look into our future passengers and more on Briskett as well, make sure that he get's the identities of those workers and whatever he can find on them as well, and call port security services to rent the scanner." Zhan orders while handing Rowan the comm without looking over, "Make it so."
                  Taking the comm, Rowan immediately calls the Deucalion. "Hey Mando, got a job for Tucker. Could you patch him through?"

"Tucker, Captain needs you to do some fishing for us. Any info you can find on Brisket as well as on each of our prospective passengers. We've been remembering the Persian situation a few months back, so caution might be good here."

After a brief chat with Tucker, Rowan makes the second call to the Port Security, and arranges to have access to the scanner for 2 hours prior to departure, and at a reasonable rate, too!

"Sir, did I overhear that we're meeting Brisket at Falling Sky?" She points across the way. "It's just over there. If we go now, we'll be about 20 minutes early, and I suspect that would impress our customer. And give us time to scout the place a bit, if he isn't already there."
                  Last edited by Ellain; 10-30-2013, 10:04 PM. Reason: Ach, mixing characters up...

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                    Think he'll look good in pink frills?"
                    Tucker - With Sama at the Market

Tucker gives a slight laugh, "Chai neow (oddball). I'll look as good in frills as you do in heels."

Comment

Sama with Tucker wandering merchant stalls-

"Oh please....heels are as useful as a screen door on an airlock."

She takes the package back from him cradling it like a child, and drags him to a few stalls to look at various things, more to keep them off ship and landside for the time and to enjoy "fresh air".
                      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Tucker - Wandering the stalls with Sama

At that comment Tucker gives a full on laugh. When dragged into a stall he does his best not to look impatient or put out... which means it takes him about 5 minutes before he's glancing around at anything but the merchandise.

Comment

Wolf -- Deucalen's loading ramp
                          Having overheard the comm-wave, Wolf groused, "{appropriate pissy phrase in Chinese} Mando, why is the Captain asking Tucker to do the background check when that's more within my skillset than Tucker's?"

Comment

Haller Landing Markets - Sama, Tucker - leaving Trader Jim's Discount Emporium

There's not much else untoward that happens in the markets to the ship's engineer and pilot. Just t he usual bargaining and shilling and moderately aggressive salesmanship.

GM Note-- Not much else to add here for you guys, sorry.

Deucalion - Lizzie, Wolf, Mando + Kellins

Mando nods simply to Wolf at his assessment of Kellins' mental state. "Told you." He is still keeping an eye on Kellins himself, now just idly tapping the flat of his blade against his forearm. The question about Tucker gets a shrug. "No idea, Wolf. Why don't you ask him?"

As for Ricky Kellins, still the poor man doesn't really seem to be connecting events in reality with whatever's going on inside his head, as Kellins just keeps muttering in Chinese on the same lines as before-- he needs to get to Faraday-- but then something must 'click' in his brain. He starts patting around at his outfit's pockets, pulling out various sundries: bits of string, an old Chinese paper seal, a couple of metal discs and coins (and they all appear to be old company scrip and specie, only worth anything if taken to a company store), an empty wallet, and a ID pack with his name and face on it.

And then another ID pack falls out of his pocket, bounces off his boot, and lands, face-up, by Wolf's feet. The picture is of Kellins, albeit somewhat shoddily inserted. But the name on the packet reads Phoenix McHoulihan.

Haller Landing Markets - near The Falling Sky - Zhan, Rowan

When the captain and the first mate step up to the Falling Sky, they'd see the sign of the bar overhead. An arc representing a world, and three falling symbols-- sun, moon, and star. At the bottom, the name of the bar in English, at the top, the same in Chinese characters. The interior is your basic public house. A bar stocked with booze of varying qualities and type, a stage on which a band plays shanties and the like, a number of tables in the middle, and booths around the sides. Three rent-rooms are on the lower level, but the lights next to them have red filters over them, making it clear what they're rented for. Upstairs, about ten more rent-rooms, cramped but serviceable, but what need is there for those rooms at the now? Besides, they have rooms back on their own ship.

If Zhan and Rowan go there early, they'd arrive about five minutes ahead of Franklin Brisket and his workers.

Brisket is a man of average height, but he is a very wide man, broad of shoulder and thick of build. He's dusky-skinned and utterly bald, wearing a shabby black suit coat over a wife beater. His thick fingers and knuckles are calloused, and he wears rings on his fore and pinky fingers on both hands. He smokes two black cigarettes, and his expression is a hard one.

Three men accompany him. Two of them have the build of men who work in hard labor, mining or smithing perhaps. One of them has the minor burn scars that accompanies smithing, at least. The other looks like your standard industrial worker in appearance. The third man looks much more unassuming, and blinks a few times behind a pair of tinted spectacles. He looks like an accountant. The smith and accountant both wear plain, ordinary clothes, of the kind one might wear when that's all they can afford. The industrial worker-type wears a worn leather jacket, dark and patched in places.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Wolf -- Deucaleon loading ramp
                              Wolf knelt and scooped up the packet. An eyebrow cocked, Wolf said quietly, "Mando, I think we have a swiper on our hands." Wolf referred to criminals who not only stole IDs but changed their signature and either resold the "swapped" IDs or used them for fraud.
                              "Lizzie, I'd back away from Kellins. Mando, I'm going to 'my office' and do a bit of digging. D'ya care to mind th' store half a tick?"
                              Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 11-03-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Sama with Tucker -markets looking for a bar/pub-

"I'm parched, nothing here is catching my eye, lets grab a drink or 6, my treat."

She starts to wander off again, looking for a place.

Comment

Working...
                                X