This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating and Disheartening

When my husband and I got married, he had both his grandmother and his mother to take care of. His mother was 17 when he was born, and his grandmother was 36, so they were both quite young. His mother dropped out of highschool when he was born and started working, while his grandmother took care of him.

When I met him, his grandmother had been on dialysis for many years, had diabetes, as well as dementia. His mother has rheumatoid arthritis, vitiligo, and has several learning disabilities as well as a low IQ. His grandmother got progressively worse, until she passed away in January of 2012.

He's told me that his mother has always been verbally abusive to him, including calling him names, telling him that she wishes he'd never been born, etc. The problem is, when he was 18, he'd gotten in trouble with the law, and was arrested and sent to prison for 2 years. His mother refinanced the house and bailed him out. As a result, he has been paying for that refinance since then.

Also, because of her low IQ and her learning disabilities, she is unable to use a computer, and is unwilling to learn. She doesn't pay for her cable, her credit card bills, her insurance, etc. I loaned her an old car on the stipulation that she would pay for it, which she doesn't. But because my husband feels like he owes her, he pays for all of this to keep her credit in good standing.

I can't say anything to her because she will turn on him, and verbally abuse him more, which makes him very unhappy, to the point that he says he'll stop paying for all of her bills and let her fend for herself. She won't say anything to me, but when we go to church, she thinks that everyone is talking about her, or is saying bad things about her. I often take her to doctor visits because I know she can't understand what the doctor says, and have to make sure she takes her medicine for her rheumatoid arthritis. I explain the questionnaires to her, etc., and I found out from my husband that she thinks I hate her and want her to die because of this, and that I don't respect her.

I have a few theories as to what is going on with her, one of which stems from the fact that her mother was an alcoholic up until after my husband was born, which makes me think that she might have fetal alcohol syndrome, or she might now be in the early stages of either psychosis or dementia. I wish I could get her to see a psychiatrist to get her diagnosed and on some sort of medication, but can't broach the subject with her, and my husband can't either, because he doesn't want to be verbally abused, and will try to avoid her as much as possible.

I really don't know what to do here.

If she won't seek help, maybe your husband needs to. I don't know much about it but I imagine a therapist could give him some tools for dealing with her in a healthy manner. She sounds like a peach, good luck!
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Members over on /r/raisedbynarcissists on Reddit will likely have some coping mechanisms for you and your hubby. Sounds like his mother has Cluster B personality issues going on, but I'm not a psychiatrist. But that subreddit is a great support tool

Comment

Thank you, I'd not considered a possible personality disorder previously. I'll definitely check out that Reddit forum that you suggested. We obviously can't leave her to fend for herself, as she wouldn't be able to, but we do need to be able to cope with her.

Comment

Do you or your hubby have a POA for her medial affairs? If so, you can call and talk to her doctor (or a local neurologist/psych doc) and describe what's happening. Or just bring it up at her next appointment ("I am concerned because this that and the other is happening."). She does need to be checked out for dementia if this is new or escalating. Diagnosing dementia and other neuro disorders can take a lot of scans and testing, so you guys will have to decide if it's worth it to fight with her on it. For now, keeping a record of her mood swings, any episodes of confusion or increased agitation, balance problems, and anything else out of the ordinary will help the doctors.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

We don't have POA at this time for her in any matters. I've already begun documenting her mood swings, so hopefully I can present it to a doctor and get a referral to a psychiatrist for her. The problem is, if I ever bring it up to her, she will take offense to it. One example is when I took her to the Social Security office to help her apply for disability, I sat with her to help her understand and answer the representative's questions, and one of them was to ask if she had any mental conditions. She could not fathom why the representative would ask that, and became very offended. I was able to smooth it out for her by telling her that they ask everyone that.

Comment

You may be able to present a very valid argument to get court-ordered POA if your MIL demonstrates that she is not capable of properly caring for or representing herself. However, I'm of the mind that she may be acting out an elaborate scheme to not have to be responsible for herself...afterall, your hubby keeps everything paid for her. Seriously, having a low IQ and learning disabilities does not preclude the inability to use a computer - it sounds more like she's just being stubborn. But then I am not the one dealing with the situation and I tend to be rather cynical...

Hopefully things will get sorted out for you, one way or another, before things go right to shit.

Comment

I think too that she is being stubborn. She seems opposed to learning anything new. I tried teaching her how to play solitaire - with physical cards - and she couldn't grasp the concept. I tried teaching her the first five books of the Bible, and she couldn't get past Genesis or Exodus. Then I tried her on her alphabet, and found that she knows A-H and has no idea of the order after that. And when I try to teach her anything, she gets a blank look like she's tuned out and refuses to even try. I find it very discouraging, because I love learning, and have always been excited to learn new things and have a natural curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                X