Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least now you and the doctors have information that can be used to help make things better (trying to look on the positive side). I can't imagine how scary it must be to find out things are going on inside your child's brain that shouldn't be.

I will keep you and childrum in my prayers.

I belong to a prayer group at my church. If you would like me to add you and childrum to our confidential prayer list, PM me.
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the responses! I am very overwhelmed by the amount of support I have received here. I am truly humbled.

Child's occupational therapist said she's going to look into stuff about thempituitary gland and the deficiency in communication skills and will see if she has to modify anything. We're also starting Listening Therapy.

I have an appointment with my old psychologist. He was able to get me in on Friday. I now have a professional I can rant at without fear of people saying I'm going crazy (not that any of you would say that, but people I know IRL).

I've also decided to find a church to attend. I don't know if that Is awful, but I have been meaning to go back to church, just hadn't found that push yet, but now I have. Already crossed one church off the list now going to try out the next one on my list.

BTW, today was a teacher's workday & no school for Child. She watched the show "Jake & the Neverland Pirates" then she walked around holding a coat hanger in her hand, picking stuff up with the hook part and declaring herself Captain Hook!
      Last edited by CaroPhoenix; 04-04-2011, 09:50 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
        Rummy, I am so happy for you that you now have a place to start with more options for Child Rum. Get a copy of her mri files and carry them with you. Then if someone says they don't know why something is the way it is, you can show them. I did that with mine for awhile. The look on peoples faces when you pull out pictures of your brain is priceless. But beware, as I have come to know Child Rum over these boards, she may want to decorate her room with the pictures.
        I had an ultrasound of my uterus as my wallpaper for a while =)

Honestly, having the MRI done is great. Being able to get a solid diagnosis done by a neuro is great.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
          She watched the show "Jake & the Neverland Pirates" then she walked around holding a coat hanger in her hand, picking stuff up with the hook part and declaring herself Captain Hook!
          That is too cute. Give her a big hug from me (another 'weirdo'); both of you are in our thoughts.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I went to the parent support group at daughter's school tonight. All the parents are really nice and they're more people whose brains I can pick.

One of the mothers there, LT, is a nurse. I had e-mailed her this weekend about Child Rum's MRI results. She's a nurse at the local hospital. She spoke with one of the doctors there and he said the pituitary gland dealt with growth, hormones, emotions, and other things like that. This might explain why her emotions have been running so high and her meltdowns have been so explosive. The doctor also said that dealing with the enlarged pituitary gland is easy and nothing to worry about (even if it a tumor - though we have no confirmation on it).

The missing fibers are something different altogether. The listening therapy is supposed to get the two halves of the brain talking to each other. With the missing connective fibers, will this work? I guess we're just going to have to wait and see.

Comment

Sending hugs and kitty bonks to Child Rum. Also, the Captain Hook thing is too damn cute
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

*sending late hugs and well wishes*
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

You're an awesome mom and a lot stronger than you may sometimes think you are Your daughter is lucky to have such a capable crusader championing her! I will keep you both in my thoughts *hug*
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Yesterday I had an appointment with the school's social worker. Every 3 years in the county we live, Child Rum has to be re-evaluated to see if she still qualifies for special education in school.

Today I went and saw my old therapist. It was good talking to him once again be let me cry Nd rant and then he has started to help me figure out strategy to head Child Rum's meltdowns at the pass.

Tonight was a good night for us. I'll be taking her to the Gaming Store and we'll be hanging out there for a few hours while Mr. Rum plays basketball with one of his brothers and a few friends.

Comment

UPDATE!!!!!! June 21, 2011

Took Child Rum to the pediatric endocrinologist. Got to the office at 8:45 for a 9:00 AM appointment and the doc didn't even come into the room until 9:40!

However, the woman was really nice and explained everything. She said it was something they typically see in children with Autism. (Not sure why, but it happens). Also, because the readings say it's just mildly enlarged, she's not too worried about it. She's more worried with blood tests. So Child Rum is going to have to go get blood drawn. Mr. Rum is going to be in charge on that day, I'll be too busy hiding. The doctor has also ordered some x-rays to see the bone age of Child Rum (which will probably be older than her chronological age due to the pituitary gland the onset of a semi-early puberty stage).

All in all, this doctor really allied my fears and I'm not as anxious and worried about it. Though I won't really have an eased mind until the blood work happens and we go from there. WHEW

Comment

Glad to hear that you've got a good doc on board. That will make all the difference! Big hug for ChildRum from me.
                        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Hey, Rummy, I am just now getting to this thread. Y'all are in my prayers.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

*hugs, hugs and lots of hugs* Also prayers. For all of you.
                            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                            -----
                            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                            X