This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I both hate and love people

So yesterday I received a phone call from NOM (national organization for marriage). This irritated me because this was the 4th time in 7 days the bastards had called me. And for the 4th time in 7 days I told them I did not agree with their politics and asked to be removed from their list. Again they didn't listen.

So instead of just getting angry (though Shanky was ready to stab a bitch) I decided to make something good out of this. For every time NOM called I was going to make a patch. I was then going to sell this patch and donate the money to a local group that offers free legal advice to the GLBTQ community. I was then going to (at the end of the month) e-mail NOM with the total they'd raised for same-sex legal council. I sent NOM a letter explaining all of the above.

I posted this to my livejournal and my facebook. In less than an hour it had been reposted 5 or 6 places on facebook, posted to ravelry, and spread by word of mouth. In an hour I had the original 4 sold. In 12 hours I was up to 10 orders, I'm now sitting at 11 orders, with more interest coming in. The only orders I'm counting are the ones that have been pre-paid.

Because of NOM pissing me off, as of right this minute $110 has been raised in less than 24 hours. Most of it by complete strangers online.

I am amazed, impressed, and incredibly grateful.
    Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

That's awesome!

I wonder if they'll respond...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I will help spread your link around if you send it to me.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        I will help spread your link around if you send it to me.
        Its not really much of a link, since I don't have a website for this or anything. but let me see what I can do about getting all the information in one place and I'll send you a like for that.

Edited to add:

Ok so I did an update with all of the information on my livejournal. The information for ordering patches can be found here: http://shankyknitter.livejournal.com/41618.html
        Last edited by shankyknitter; 06-11-2011, 06:40 PM.
        Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

If you get Australian orders, you are welcome to get me to make some of the overload.
          Just send me the pattern and supplies info. (Eg, floss colour, what count Aida fabric you're using, whether you're happy for me to use closest-match flosses from my supply of excess floss....). Postage costs would mean you'd do best to use me only for Australia/NZ.

I'm best at cross-stitch, less good at more 'freehand' embroidery.

Let me know.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

This. Is. AWESOME!!!! You utterly rock!
            The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

I think you are awesome!!!
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

That is awesome! I'm on ravelry too btw (I crochet), same handle as here.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

If you need an overflow embroiderer, shanky, I might be able to help a little. Good cause, after all . . .

Comment

I can't afford to buy one at the moment but Friday is payday so I may order one next weekend. I think you're response is awesome. Rock on!
                    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Shanky Rocks!!!!!!!!
                      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
                        So yesterday I received a phone call from NOM (national organization for marriage). This irritated me because this was the 4th time in 7 days the bastards had called me. And for the 4th time in 7 days I told them I did not agree with their politics and asked to be removed from their list. Again they didn't listen.
                        Four words: Do Not Call Registry. Violators get fined a nice chunk 'o change.

Though I do very much like your idea.
                        ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Lisa Lampanellidid something similar recently
                          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen we're up to $170. In 3 days.

Comment

Go Shanky!
                              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                              Save the Ales!
                              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                              X