Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

in which a simple statement made me feel OLD!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in which a simple statement made me feel OLD!

So Saturday I went to the gas station near my house to pick up some drinks for the game that evening....and me and a friend made small talk with the cashier.

We were talking about things when we were young (she can't be older then 18 I'm guessing)....and my friend said he was once told that he looked like MaCully Culkin when he was younger....

The cashier asked...."who is macully culkin?"

I feel old.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGUP-...eature=related
    (appropriate clip from Home Alone)
    I remember. I need to see what that dude's been up to... and that movie's a classic!
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Breaking up with Mila Kunis, it seems. He also frequently does voice work for Robot Chicken (he's good friends with Seth Green).
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

ow

seriously

ow

I think one of the recent ones for us was realizing that NO ONE getting a CS degree these days knows what a DOS prompt looks like.

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
          I think one of the recent ones for us was realizing that NO ONE getting a CS degree these days knows what a DOS prompt looks like.
          Why do I find that scarier than not knowing who Macaulay Culkin is?
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

dear ancients...*I* remember dos....and 5 inch floppies...and when a 25 mb hard drive was HUGE!

I'm old....
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
              dear ancients...*I* remember dos....and 5 inch floppies...and when a 25 mb hard drive was HUGE!

I'm old....
              I remember when "Computer" meant a huge machine with magnetic tapes and punch cards and the machinery took up an entire room.
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post

I'm old....
                me too .....me too. First computer was a dual floppy, next one was an XT with a 20 meg hard drive. Green screen. no windows. no cd rom. At least XT had a modem. 2400 baud.

Don't miss that at all.

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                I remember when "Computer" meant a huge machine with magnetic tapes and punch cards and the machinery took up an entire room.
                Don't fold spindle or mutilate! (for punch cards and the card board checks people used to get)
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Fold Spindle and Mutilate was used some where in my childhood that I can't remember (I suspect an adventure game). However, I had no clue what it meant as that was before my time, though I used to play with an old tape punch in my mum's lab growing up :P

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post

I'm old....
                    Don't you mean 5.25" floppies?
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                      Don't you mean 5.25" floppies?
                      The more floppies a game came on, the better a game it was! Of course, I started with the ZX81 and the plug-in 1Kb RAM pack...

Rapscallion

Comment

Laser II with no hard drive and two 5.25" floppy drives; hooked up a two-button joystick and played 'Buck Rodgers'

Good fun.

Comment

Circa 1977: Kludging up an emergency interface to replace a failed Singer brand hard drive (about 43,000 bytes max capacity) (originally built for the Minuteman-II) with an 8" single density floppy drive (256,256 bytes capacity)

CP/M

SC/MP Kit&Kaboodle: 1K ROM, 256B RAM. I/O=> gutted calculator with 7-segment display.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post

I'm old....
                            I think I still have PC/MS DOS v1 disks around somewhere

and I remember the Cider HDD for the Apple][+ at 10M and I had the top of the line Apple][+ with 64K of RAM with 2 5.25 floppies,a color monitor, RF TV interface a 4 axis joystick, CP/M board with OS, and an Epson MX-80 dot matrix 80 column printer (I still have printer and it still works) and for $150 extra I bought Visi-Calc (the granddaddy of spreadsheet programs)
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I remember playing (or at least trying to) a game that came on about 4-5 floppies, and it was a wolf-simulation game... you got to be a wolf pack! This was in about 1992-3.
                              I need to figure out dosbox so I can play keen and jill again. Maybe even that one Mars game that you couldn't save...
                              I remember using something on the actual floppies, those 5-inch disks. My dad was in his high school's computer club, and told me about bringing stacks of punchcards down to the basement to do... stuff. He didn't even remember what the programs were! I'll have to bug him about it again... :3
                              I also remember going to the 'big kid's school,' a short sidewalk walk (but a veritable trek to a first grader), the elementary school to our primary, to use their computer lab-- apples, with that fused keyboard/box and funky (separate) monitor, those boxy mice, and black and green screens, to play like Oregon Trail and stuff.
                              Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 06-14-2011, 08:48 AM.
                              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                              X