Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're not alone. My parents are the same way, they threw me out but I still am not free of them financially, despite trying like mad to get that way. They don't understand that when I say they don't support me I am not talking about money; I mean they always have something negative to say about me. If you can get free, do. I would give anything to be able to cut them off when they start acting like I'm a lazy worthless excuse maker (I have mental/emotional health issues.) Don't put up with that if you have a choice; I wish to God I did.

Comment

frankly you're kind of a rock and a hard place, moving out would be best but that sounds like that may not be an option. Any change is going to have to be gradual you are not going to get them to change over night. I don't know what to say really, if you do try to hash it out with any of them pick a day when they are not in a bad mood or exhausted and be as calm and polite as possible. just remember two important words: "no" and "why" you'll have to be careful but you have to set a pattern of behaviour that says while I respect you I am not a punching bag.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        All you NEED is a single room to live in, safe access to a bathroom and kitchen, a mattress to sleep on, some blankets, toiletries, clothes, and a small heater for warmth in winter. (In summer, you can haunt shopping centres for coolth.)...
        Find the cheapest single or double-bedroom apartment you can that's in a safe area. (It doesn't have to be a pleasant area, just safe enough that you won't be scared to live there.)
        Agreed, even a studio (one room) or efficiency (walk-in closet with a kitchenette) is an improvement because it is all yours. You mentioned a BF, what's his situation? Is it an option to couch-surf at his place?
        Quoth Eireann View Post
        How many times have we all seen someone bitch constantly about a relative, then heave a martyred sigh and say, "Well, s/he is family." Bullshit! A shared gene pool does not mean you owe your mother, father, or sister more than anyone you'd meet on the street.
        That is should be the lamest argument for abusive behavior. Keep in mind that you too are family.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
          I would give anything to be able to cut them off when they start acting like I'm a lazy worthless excuse maker (I have mental/emotional health issues.) Don't put up with that if you have a choice; I wish to God I did.
          Hang up on them, or walk out the door, or kick them out of your home, whenever they start.

They'll either get the message, or you'll at least not be putting up with them.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I've had to cut a toxic relative out of my life, and it was for the best that I did so. Unfortunately, this uncle has made my grandma his emotional punching bag, and nobody else in the family has the balls to stand up to him about his abuse, and won't press elder abuse charges against him. Only my dad and a couple of uncles have anything to do with this toxic uncle, as nobody else in the family has anything to do with him, myself included.

Comment

I assume you've reported this elder abuse to the appropriate authorities?
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
              X