This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Not?!

Bg: I work for a company that secures government funding for folk who qualify to get FREE boiler replacement, wall insulation, loft insulation etc. it's totally free and is only done if the property is assessed by a regulating body and shows a need for these things. This involves a boiler replacement.

Almost 4 months after we installed a brand new A rated boiler and fancy thermostat for free, customer calls to whine that she doesn't like how the thermostat is set up.

I advise the cost to call out and change the settings on the system which a) was set up at her request on the day of install to her specification and b) is working perfectly well will be £80.00.

Insert incredulous screeching by customer. She feels we should send a man in a van all the way out to her, at her convenience to press a few buttons and swallow the cost.

I asked her why she felt we should do that.

Her answer?

Because she couldn't be bothered reading the manual to change it.

I said we would not come out for free.

More ranting and why nots.

She then demands we come out, rip out the entire system because at least the old one was set up how she liked it.

I don't suppose it would have done any good suggesting she ask whoever set the old system up do it again on the newer one. She was too busy ranting about how unfair we were being.

I weep for the new generation of self entitled morons.

Customer is told price to call out or to refer to her manual and I end up hanging up on her with a falsetto " okay, buh bye now" which probably pissed her highness off even more but I'm the boss of my department and I don't care.

Non-sucky

When Mom put in the new low-e windows, low flush toilets and and high efficiency furnace she found she did not like the new controller. Note:all these things were installed when there was a government program that paid about 50% of the costs so we got over $5000 installed and only paid about $2600.

Because it was under the government program you could only used approved controllers that meet the specs to control a high-e furnace properly.

So what did my mother do. She ranted at the installer for only a few minutes, then she listened, then she paid him the $200 to install an easy to read controller.

Problems solved.

PS. She made me read the manual.

Comment

The only thing that would make the OP's customer vaguely reasonable at that point is if he/she has some sort of disability that makes it difficult/impossible for him to use a standard controller.

And even then, he should have brought it up at the time of installation - when your program would probably have swapped out the standard for a large-print controller or some such.

As it is now, the appropriate reaction would be to ask nicely for a large print controller*, or get a carer or friend to make the changes.

* or braille controller, or whatever is needed.

Very few problems get fixed with ranting and raving.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

So, basically she is lazy, doesn't want to pay $80. Yup. Sounds like most of the lazy cows in my area of the world.
        You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Quoth AmethystSquirrel View Post
          So, basically she is lazy, doesn't want to pay $80. Yup. Sounds like most of the lazy cows in my area of the world.
          Do you live on my street? Cause it sounds like you live on my street.
          Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

QFT
            AMEN to that!

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              It's probably a fake, but have you heard the story about a woman whose tech support call to the phone company included the information that her dog would start barking each time the phone rang - but he'd bark BEFORE it rang? The ground rod for the phone didn't make good contact due to dry earth, and she'd chained the dog to it. Naturally, when the phone rang, the dog would get an electric shock - but the dry ground wouldn't carry enough current to ring the bell in the phone. Among the results of the shock would be barking, and the dog losing bladder control - which wetted the ground, so enough current would flow to ring the phone.

After the ground connection was re-done properly, the tech wrote on the paperwork that this was probably the only problem that was fixed by pissing and moaning.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                It's probably a fake, <snip>

After the ground connection was re-done properly, the tech wrote on the paperwork that this was probably the only problem that was fixed by pissing and moaning.
                That's a groaner. It's right up there with the story I read about an incident at a zoo.

The zoo got a new animal in, a gnu, which they put in a new enclosure. The next day, when the zoo opened, they found the entire enclosure had been re-tiled. Bewildered and confused, the zoo moved the gnu to a new enclosure while they investigated. Again, the following morning, the gnu's enclosure had a new tile floor laid in, and they checked the surveillance cameras to find out who was doing it. To their amazement, it was the gnu itself that was doing the tiling. Naturally, they brought in an expert to study the animal to check for any abnormalities.

The expert had to conclude there was nothing abnormal about it, everything checked out fine. "What you have here," he told the zoo officials, "is a typical gnu and tiler too."
                Last edited by EricKei; 04-09-2014, 09:18 PM. Reason: trimmed quote
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The gnu one is terrible, but I laughed. I fear that only history buffs will get it. Hell, it took ME a moment to get it!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    The gnu one is terrible, but I laughed. I fear that only history buffs will get it. Hell, it took ME a moment to get it!
                    It helps to read it out loud. And to have had the proper US history lessons.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I did. And I did.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        a gnu, which they put in a new enclosure.
                        In what other type of enclosure would one put a gnu?

*ducks*

Comment

Was it a new gnu enclosure for their new gnu?

Comment

No gnus is good gnus
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

You can have good gnus and bad gnus.

I didn't get the tiler joke I never got US history since I'm on the Canuck side of the border.
                              It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Working...
                              X