This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over three hours on the phone

That's how long this SC took up over the course of two days to make a reservation. Three hours.

It started Wednesday night when she called around 10pm and kept my supervisor on the phone for an hour. She wanted all the different rates for all the different room types. After going through all that (and presumably writing it down), she then wanted all the information emailed to her!

Supervisor: "Just so you know, I'm leaving for the night, so I may not be able to send it until tomorrow."
    SC: "That's okay. You send me the information. *click*"

Supervisor never got her name, let alone an email address, because she hung up without giving one.

Cue Thursday morning. She called up New Gal and kept her on the phone for an hour and a half doing the same thing. SC quoted a strange rate she said Supervisor gave her for a deluxe room type, which New Gal could not find anywhere in the system, so cue them going over all the rates again. SC asked New Gal to have Supervisor call back when he came back at 3pm. New Gal booked SC a tentative room in the meantime.

Right at 3pm, SC called about 3 times for Supervisor, who was busy. Both New Gal and I tried to assure her that he'd call her back. Supervisor called SC at 3pm, and he didn't get her off the phone until 4:27. It was even more going over rates. He told me later that a lot of it was just repeating the same info over and over. I only overheard a few bits:
    Supervisor: "...no ma'am, we never discussed the deluxe room, the rate I quoted you yesterday was for a standard room..."

Meanwhile the phones are going nuts and it's just me and Supervisor running the show at that point since New Gal logged out of her phone to get caught up since for some reason she'd fallen behind, and with him tied up with the SC I have to wrangle the rest of the calls and check in guests, and I know some people waiting on hold just gave up because I couldn't get back to them in time.

Are we done? Nope. SC called back two more times, both times asking for Supervisor. One call surprisingly lasted only 10 minutes (not sure what that one was about). The other one happened about an hour and a half before Supervisor got off shift and took about 40 minutes. That tentative reservation New Gal made SC? It sent out an email confirmation, so cue 40 minutes of Supervisor trying to explain to SC that she would be getting an updated confirmation, that the email was the old arrangement made with New Gal and we needed time to type up a new confirmation, yada yada.

As of this morning, I discovered an email from Supervisor asking someone to type up and send those confirmations because he didn't have time last night because someone had kept him tied up for over an hour of his shift, which was busy even without having the SC eating up a disproportionate amount of his time. I'm working this morning. I wonder if I'll be getting a very long phone call wondering where those confirmations are...

I did make Supervisor a paper last night that had a target and "Plant face here" printed on it. I may need it this morning if she calls back again!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

"Ma'am, we've been over the rates multiple times. Please just refer to our website."

*click!*

Riiing!

"Hola, Paco's Tacos, cuantos tacos quiere? Eh? No ingles!"
    Last edited by otakuneko; 04-11-2014, 10:52 AM.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

This is a customer that I would not want to arrive because next you get to have the 3 hour conversation face to face.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

And it's even money they never show at all!

Comment

and then want their money back

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
            This is a customer that I would not want to arrive because next you get to have the 3 hour conversation face to face.
            Exactly. Time is money and she's taken a disproportionate amount. Her stay isn't going to even amount to the time she's taken in paying to staff. IF she even shows up.
            Last edited by Hermione; 04-11-2014, 05:01 PM. Reason: add'l info

Comment

If she does, we'll be waiting for your account here.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

So this morning I emailed the SC her confirmations. Apparently at some point she called Reservations, changed a bunch of stuff around, and by the time she was done had ended up with exactly what she'd started with...

The reservationist was literally able to simply copy and paste what I had initially emailed when she sent the "updated" confirmations.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm curious, why didn't they just tell her to go online? By contract with all third parties, hotels have to have rate parity between all online systems, including their own.

Comment

Because to these people spending 3 hours on a phone is "easier" than looking it up on a computer
                    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I am betting she is hoping that she confuses the staff enough that something goes wrong. And she ends up at the front desk asking for the deluxe room at a half rate.

Comment

Next on "People With Not Enough To Do..."...A customer spends three hours going over and over the exact same information, in multiple combinations, with multiple hotel employees! And all for a trip she has no intention of ever taking! Stay tuned...!"

The ten minute phone call was probably her getting the name of your website.

Frankly, I would have told her she already got all the info three times over, and nothing has changed.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I would never allow that at my hotel. Not once. We have other things to do than sit on the phone with her like that. Customer service has its limits. 3 hours is one of them.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                            Because to these people spending 3 hours on a phone is "easier" than looking it up on a computer
                            Computers are hard.

I have some coworkers like this. Now, I'm getting up there, but they make me look like a millennial when it comes to stuff like this. If my attorneys want travel, I print out the available flights for the time and date range they want, then look up to see which hotels are available near their meeting or appearance. They circle what they want, I call our travel department, which handles the bookings, and I get Viewtrip links to the itineraries.

Some of my coworkers will call travel and sit on the phone, writing down the flights and hotels as they're researched and listed by an agent. Then, when their attorney decides on a different day or time, they will call and sit on the phone again with an agent.

The travel agents love me. Seriously, they love me. The travel department is an outside vendor that is paid by booking, so I'm pretty sure the agents have quotas to meet. I have them on the phone for, usually, less than five minutes.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                              Computers are hard.

The travel agents love me. Seriously, they love me. The travel department is an outside vendor that is paid by booking, so I'm pretty sure the agents have quotas to meet. I have them on the phone for, usually, less than five minutes.
                              Indeed. They love you. You're the perfect client..too bad you're a rarity.

*On a side note, I'd chuckle if you guys book with a branch of my agency.
                              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                              X