Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At our call center, it's unfortunately not uncommon for employees to steal things from other employees desks. And not just from the top of the desks, but right out of the drawers too.

And since we don't have any cameras on the calling floor, it makes that much harder to prove who's doing it. I haven't had anything stolen from me yet.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
      Last year at work, I had my allergy pills(!) stolen out of my coat pocket while it was hanging in the break room.
      Actually, in retrospect, I remember they were anti-gas pills, which is even more bizarre to steal.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Oh KhirasHY, I wasn't saying your housekeepers were thieves, or that housekeepers in general are thieves. Just that the "it doesn't add up" logic to why people wouldn't be thieves doesn't really hold for people who are thieves.

I hope that makes as much sense typed out as it did in my head, though I'm not completely convinced of it.....
        I've always said, if they had half a brain, they could earn a living and not have to steal.
        To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
        To pursue it with forks and hope;
        To threaten its life with a railway share;
        To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
          I've always said, if they had half a brain, they could earn a living and not have to steal.
          Sadly thats not always the case. I've got one definate fraud and one that I strongly smell the bulls*it on it. Both earn more than my wife and I combined. One is over a couple of grand, one is slightly higher.
          How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
            but right out of the drawers too.
            Your desks have drawers?

Why at Hellvista, we only dreamed of such luxurious things!
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Swiping money, I can sort of understand, but allergy pills? Can you even get high off of those?
              Supposedly you can, but it's a nasty high - one person reported hallucinating a spider the size of a dinner plate under his desk biting his leg. Not really a happy drug.

Comment

Quoth Grendus View Post
                hallucinating a spider the size of a dinner plate

I'm pretty sure I would just kill myself.
                "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                "What IS fun to fight through?"
                "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                  I'm pretty sure I would just kill myself.
                  Nuke the site from orbit. (It's the only way to be sure.)
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Grendus View Post
                    ... hallucinating a spider the size of a dinner plate...
                    How'd I get to XXXX? [/TP]
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                      Turns out the thief was the owner of the franchise, a millionaire, who collected Cadillacs as a hobby, and once bought a brand new rolex on a whim, because the band on his previous one 'felt loose.'
                      The food thieves in law firms are almost always lawyers. There's this attitude of "I work so hard, I don't have time, I deserve this," even though it's almost always the staff's food they're taking. They wouldn't dream of stealing from another lawyer. This was so common that, when the food was actually being stolen by janitors, it took a while to recognize it.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

People will steal small amounts of money. I remember a woman at work who used to put her change from lunch into a small piggy bank on her desk. Couldn't have had more than $20 in there. One night somebody stole it.

But it really isn't fair to automatically blame housekeepers (or cleaning staff at offices). Anybody with access to a room or an office could be doing it. Assuming anything really was stolen. As you pointed out, people misplace things all the time!
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

On the other side of the "thieving housekeepers" storyline, back when I was cleaning rooms in my teens, I was stopped in the lobby by a gentleman who was staying for several days asking why I HADN'T taken the $5 that he had left on the table, as it was supposed to be a tip! I explained that we were trained to take nothing unless it was left on the last day after they had already checked out.
                          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Actually, in retrospect, I remember they were anti-gas pills, which is even more bizarre to steal.
                            Actually, that makes sense, especially if someone is suffering.

I mean, just think of how much good those pills would have done the woman in the OP! Not to mention the people around her.....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

The woman in the OP is probably the original "yo mama"
                              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                                The food thieves in law firms are almost always lawyers. There's this attitude of "I work so hard, I don't have time, I deserve this," even though it's almost always the staff's food they're taking. They wouldn't dream of stealing from another lawyer. This was so common that, when the food was actually being stolen by janitors, it took a while to recognize it.
                                I remember a post on "Ask a Manager" where the boss was just up and eating his employees lunches - even taking them out of desk drawers. When the letter-writer confronted him, he said he "liked her cooking" and laughed it off.

She ended up buying a locking lunchbox, as did several other people. The boss still thought the whole thing was funny, but at least the employees get to eat now.

Comment

Working...
                                X