This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Don't you dare cry!!"

A co-worker of mine is a magnet for vile customers. She told me that today she was out in the garden center on a phone call with a customer who was describing something they were looking for. Apparently an old man walked by and she was too occupied with the call to give the usual spiel. She told me she quietly said hi, but maybe it wasn't heard. Anyway, an old lady out in the garden center felt the old man was slighted and promptly became enraged.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T ACKNOWLEDGE HIM!! YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE THIS JOB!! YOU'RE A TERRIBLE PERSON!! GET ME YOUR MANAGER OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!!"

She tried to get a word in edgewise.

"NO, DON'T YOU TRY TO TALK WHEN I'M SPEAKING TO YOU!!"

My co-worker has a fiery temper and it was taking a LOT of strength to not flip out on this woman. So her lip started quivering.

"DON'T YOU DARE START CRYING NOW!! DON'T YOU EVEN DARE!!"

The manager comes out. Asks bitch if he can help her.

"No, I think we have everything here settled! DON'T WE, Karen?" (Not her real name, changed for the story. The old bag read it very loudly and pointedly off her name badge).

The manager asked what happened because he saw that K was very shaken up. She explained to which the boss said, "What a bitch!" So at least she's not going to get in trouble or anything. But of course nobody else was out in the garden center while this was going on who could have stood up for K and told the old bitch to shut the hell up.

What a bully! It feels like there's an upswing in this kind of behavior lately. It's disgusting and infuriating. What is going on? And by the way, a terrible person is someone who screams at a person in public and badmouths a person she doesn't even know.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 04-20-2014, 07:08 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Oh the classic "This situation has nothing to do with me, let's make it my problem" SC :/ There should be some sort of law against being a busy body. And as for telling K not to have a perfectly understandable emotional reaction, she's fortunate she didn't get all that attitude right back. The saving grace of all this is that at some point, that bitch is going to tick off the wrong person.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4goUqiOL44 (NSFW/kids )

We needed to have that guy in the store to take the lady down a peg or two
        "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
        "What IS fun to fight through?"
        "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

She sounds like me. I'm also a magnet for sucky customers. I'm a high-functioning autistic woman and I struggle with the tone of my voice. I've been told that I come off as slightly robotic, and I think the customers probably think I'm being rude. I try to get around it by smiling a lot but it doesn't work half the time.

Or maybe I just have "Easy target" written across my forehead? I don't know lol.

I hope your coworkers feels better now. What a bully!

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
            She sounds like me. I'm also a magnet for sucky customers. I'm a high-functioning autistic woman and I struggle with the tone of my voice.
            That can't be easy. I used to go to school with a kid who couldn't tell the difference in tones when people spoke, so he could tell when someone was speaking with sarcasm, humour, sadness etc. Used to cop a lot of sh*t from the bullies in the school... and because of that he was quite prone to anger even when people were being sincere

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              What a bully! It feels like there's an upswing in this kind of behavior lately. It's disgusting and infuriating. What is going on?
              I've been wondering that myself. I think people in this society are just getting more and more self-centered and egotistical, to the point where they don't even see other people as fellow human beings, merely props and scenery for the movie they themselves star in.
              And by the way, a terrible person is someone who screams at a person in public and badmouths a person she doesn't even know.
              Absolutely. Of course, she won't acknowledge that. In her mind, she was standing up for the little guy against the Big Bad Store Clerk!
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

What a bully! It feels like there's an upswing in this kind of behavior lately. It's disgusting and infuriating.
                I think that people spend too much time communicating on the internet, where they often feel free to berate and belittle others with others jumping in, in agreement, to help the bully just for the fun. This behaviour has then begun spilling into real life.

Just a personal theory, I have absolutely no evidence to back this up.
                Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                  I think that people spend too much time communicating on the internet, where they often feel free to berate and belittle others with others jumping in, in agreement, to help the bully just for the fun. This behaviour has then begun spilling into real life.

Just a personal theory, I have absolutely no evidence to back this up.
                  I tend to agree. Civilized behavior seems to be a thing of the past. It seems that if you're nasty enough, you can get away with anything in Retail Hell.
                  Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

No matter the cause, this needs to be stopped PDQ. It will be a glorious day when we are allowed to stand up for ourselves against bullies and brats, and "the customer is always right" has been rightfully relegated to the trashcan of historical bad ideas.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Today K was cashiering when a lady asked her if she celebrates Easter. K admitted not really. The customer then told her to have a bad Easter. Then she approached one of the bosses and complained that K was "rude" to her. WTF????

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
                        Today K was cashiering when a lady asked her if she celebrates Easter. K admitted not really. The customer then told her to have a bad Easter. Then she approached one of the bosses and complained that K was "rude" to her. WTF????
                        Ahh, the petty, vindictive snots of <whatever religion aka WR>. They believe that if you aren't exactly the same variant of <WR> as them, then you don't rate as human. And, for whatever reason, they then feel the need to bash down any identified non-members of <WR> as much as they can (no matter what the tenants of <WR> might actually say). I think it's a primitive form of tribalism or something, and these SC's have pretty much the same thought patterns as you find in every stripe of bigot.
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I---what???

She asks a question to which the answer is none of her damn business, then decides she doesn't like the answer - gets nasty to K, and then claims K was rude?? What the frickin' hell is wrong with people like this??
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

How come I never see abuse like this going on when I go out?

I'd have gotten in the old person's face and just started screaming back. "I'M OLD AS HELL AND IGNORANT AND I NEED ATTENTION SO I'M YELLING AT THIS INNOCENT GIRL BECAUSE I'M TOO OLD AND DRIED UP TO GET LAID AND IT'S THE ONLY SATISFACTION I GET OUT OF MY MISERABLE DAY! PAY ATTENTION TO ME! ME ME ME! SOMEONE PLEASE FUCK ME! ARGLE BLARGLE!"

See what they think of that. And then throw a rutabega at them.

Comment

Hmph. If the SC really understood her own faith, she'd know she committed a sin with first the "bad Easter" comment, and then trying to make trouble for the employee.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X