This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Bad Virus Got Me

I was downloading some PDFs of some novels and got hit by a big bad virus. Norton noticed a bunch of data being sent out and stopped it. I ran the task manager and stopped all the bad processes I could see, and restarted the computer. Except it won't restart. I tried several function keys during booting, got some different screens, but nothing that would let me into my hard disk.

I made a recovery disk with my laptop. The laptop is Windows 7 64-bit Home version, and the affected computer, a desktop, is Windows 7 64-bit Pro version. Hopefully that won't make a difference.

Running the recovery disk I selected the "Startup Repair" option. But it just seems to keep on running, and can't be cancelled. I forced it to stop and tried System restore, but it can't find any restore files. Then I selected the command prompt. It works. I can access the second hard drive, but not the primary hard drive. So I am trying the "Startup Repair" again. Maybe I'll just let it run all night.

I thought about moving the primary hard drive to another computer, but I don't think it will work there if I can't access it at the command prompt.

Any suggestions?
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

I ran into this same issue just last week and ended up having to replace my laptop because I could not access my hdd no matter what I did, the recovery partition was gone, and it would not run a repair or restore either. I tried a known-good hdd in the laptop and the mobo couldn't see it. Put the old one back in, tried a restore again and no go. So I decided to attempt to completely wipe the hdd and attempt a clean o/s install...no longer reading the original hdd at all, and couldn't get into the BIOS at all either. Whatever hit my computer completely killed it -_- I sincerely hope that whatever got my computer isn't what you've got hit with!

So, sadly, no suggestions on how to hopefully fix your computer. Just a lot of commiseration because I know the frustration.

Comment

I'm in the process of doing a factory reset. The repair disk I made did some repair on the partition table, but I was unable to access any files. Looks like I will spending a lot of time rebuilding my lost files.

Comment

This happened to me, too, except that I was lucky enough to be able to reboot and log in for some reason. I did a factory reset after backing up my files and installed Windows 10 for free, and haven't looked back.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Ick. There are file recovery programs out there with free versions such as Recuva that may be able to help - with varying degrees of effectiveness. I wish ye luck x.x Getting a "system killer" or "drive killer" virus like this always sucks. From the sound of things, it may have nuked the MBR ... though if the drive is unusable even in other computers, it may be something more thorough.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The drive still works. I loaded the factory reset DVDs and started all over. My latest backup was a year ago, but I had all the essential data on paper files. And other files are available online. Most of what I lost were hobby related files.

Comment

I had a pleasant surprise pop up in recovering from this disaster. For the past year I have been playing Skyrim. I reinstalled it today, thinking I would have to start over from the beginning. When I started the game, it gave me the option of continuing my previous save game! I thought it was lost with the hard drive, but it was apparently saved online by Steam. I had not realized it was saved that way, and am very happy for it.

Comment

Working...
              X