Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a programmer, not an OpenOffice guru...but if YOU are...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a programmer, not an OpenOffice guru...but if YOU are...

Ok, I was typing up something on OpenOffice the other day, and somehow or another I did something where when I type the letter "a" by itself (as in, the "word" a), it puts two of them on the screen.

So if I try to type: "This is a sentence" it would come out "This is aa sentence".

I have a feeling I accidentally hit some sort of key combination, but I have no idea what I actually did.

It only happens with the letter a, and only in OpenOffice. I'm using 4.0.1 running on Windows 10.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Is it something to do with find and replace?

Comment

Does Open Office have macros? The sorry where you type in a code and it is automatically expanded to its full text? Example: when you key in "CS" it is automatically relaved with "Customers Suck"?
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Check the Tools menu > AutoCorrect Options...

It should be in there.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Check the Tools menu > AutoCorrect Options...

It should be in there.
          Problem solved. Gracias!

Comment

Maybe you had the Finnish option checked?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Maybe you had the Finnish option checked?
              Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                Ha ha ha ha ha!!!
                No, "Haa Haa Haa Haa Haa!"

.. and now Chromatix will colour me ...

Comment

My pleasure
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

There's no particular reason why Finnish would do that. The language has both single and double vowels of all kinds.

Comment

I think dalesys was making a....well, a dalesys joke. There's not too many words I could use (on this board, anyway) that would serve better as a description...

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        ... a dalesys joke...
                        Who moi?

Comment

I have a friend whose first name is "Ilka". Someone told her it was a Finnish name, to which I responded, "It can't be Finnish, or it would be spelled I-L-K-K-A!"

In my (very limited!) experience, the Finns seem to love double consonants. Especially Ks! My experience is generally just with the names of rally drivers, though.
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                            In my (very limited!) experience, the Finns seem to love double consonants. Especially Ks! My experience is generally just with the names of rally drivers, though.
                            Well, there is male names like Mika, Miika, Miikka, Mikko for example...

Then there is Sari and Mari -female names - as well than male names Kari and Jari.

Comment

Quoth Web_Pict View Post
                              Well, there is male names like Mika, Miika, Miikka, Mikko for example...

Then there is Sari and Mari -female names - as well than male names Kari and Jari.
                              And Ori, Dori, Nori, Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X