This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modem problem, or something else?

So, since Wednesday I've been having this problem with my computer connecting to the internet (Firefox 47, which just updated to 48 as I post this).

I'll go to my home page, click on a bookmark (say, the CS forums) and I get to the page. Then I click on another link (to the Games forum) and I get nothing. The four lights on my modem drop down to one light and slowly start returning. I click on the same link again and I get there just fine. Another link, fine. Another link, modem lights shut off and start up again. Over and over and over again.

I did call my provider and the tech on the line said it looked like my modem was fried because of a power surge (which is possible because we've been in the middle of some big thunderstorms around here in the last few days). They're sending me a modem by mail because I'm too far away for a service tech to show up.

Now, the reason I'm starting this thread is because today, Sunday night, I haven't had any problems yet whatsoever. I've been online for about two hours and no service interruptions at all. Which makes me wonder if it's something in my computer and not the modem that's causing it...

Although, I also have a tablet that connects wirelessly, and that also had the same problem connecting...

Any advice or tips?
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

If it's more than one computer that has/had the issue, then the problem is not either machine. I would guess that it is indeed the modem.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

If the lights were cycling on the modem, then it's either going to be a line issue , or a modem issue.

If your service started working again, it's possible the your ISP discovered a problem in the lines and has since resolved it.
      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

I'd say it's nearly impossible for the computer to trip the modem into a renegotiation. It's most likely a line problem, though it could also be the modem being flaky. Is this DSL or cable? If it's DSL, next time you have line problems make a phone call on the line and see if you hear scratchy noises or other interference.

Comment

Even though I didn't hear any scratch noises, I was able to pretty much eliminate my DSL modem from needing to be rebooted a couple of times per day by doing two things:
          - Running a new, dedicated phone line from where the service enters our house to where the DSL modem now lives
          - Getting the provider to throttle our speed slightly

Well, they did the second on their own when I talked to Tech Support and described the problems and what I had done so far. An earlier tech had removed the throttle setting, but it seems that we are just far enough away from the substation/thingie that full speed is not completely reliable. They set it up so things were at about 85% of full speed, and we have only had maybe two problems in the year since then.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

It's a cable modem. I received the replacement yesterday and haven't had any problems... yet.
            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
            X