This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I had an interview or three...

A little less than 2 months ago, I put out feelers for a new job. If you read anything from my Hospital of Horror thread, you'd know why.

I got an interview with the University of Michigan Hospital, but wasn't really interested. The same day, a Monday, I had that interview I had another with a private practice. And that was the job I was more interested in.

I thought the interview went well, but it was a part time job. The benefits sounded amazing. Health Care: Covered. Day after Thanksgiving off. Week between Christmas and New Year's Day off. Profit sharing. 401K. If I didn't want to work for them before, I did then.

They called me and scheduled a second interview with the owner on Thursday, the lead imaging tech, another imaging tech and the lady from my first interview. Walking in, I was blown away. The place was awesome. Fresh fruit and a variety of drinks for patients. Relaxing music like you'd have when getting a massage playing. A big screen tv on the wall showing video of a coral reef! I'd missed all of that in the first interview because there was an area wide power failure.

We talked and they repeated it was a part time job. I told them that I couldn't give up a full time job for a part time one, but if the hospital would work with me, I would love to work with them.

They called me Monday to schedule a third interview, this time with the team I would be working with. They wanted the next day, I couldn't do it because of staffing issues where I worked, but told them I had half a day on Friday because I was leaving on vacation, but would could do it then.

So I walk into the office I would be working in (they have 5 locations) and they start offering me pizza. And soda. And, "No, really...have some pizza it is really good. We won a contest so we're having a pizza party."

I met with about 8 people including the Dr. that runs that office. Holy crap! It was amazing. They loved my responses to everything. One person used to date one of my coworkers. Another was a former patient of mine who had told me had told me she loved working there and I should apply because I would fit right it. Everyone was smiling and you could tell it wasn't that fake smile. It was because they genuinely enjoy where they work.

We talked about the part time status of the job and this doctor said he had been pushing for a full time person for awhile. Before he left to go do something he said, "When you talk to her, you tell her you need a full time job."

I walked out of there brimming with confidence. I have never walked out of an interview feeling that positive about it. I told my one coworker, "I nailed it."

I went on vacation and...nothing.

I returned after a week and sent an email (on the advice from my current boss) thanking them for the opportunity to interview, how much I would like to work for them and that the hospital would work around their need. I found out that one of my coworkers had given notice while I was gone and was taking a position at the University of Michigan Hospital, though in a different department. So our chronic staffing issues were only going to get worse.

And nothing.

That Friday I called and left a voice mail for the woman who was my primary contact reiterating what I had said in the email.

And nothing.

I was really pretty depressed. I thought I had nailed. Completely. But I hadn't even gotten a "You suck!" response. I'd had 3 interviews in 2 weeks and then nothing for 2 weeks.

Two weeks turned into 2.5 weeks and I was starting to resign myself to an indefinite stay at the Hospital of Horror. On Tuesday I talked to the coworker that I had told "I nailed it" trying to figure out where I'd gone wrong. Her opinion was that if they'd moved that fast in the interview portion, they'd probably chosen someone else. I sort of concurred, but held a slim hope to what others had voiced. That they were trying to make it a full time position and wanted that cleared before they called me. But it was hard to hold onto that.

On the drive home the phone rang and I recognized it as their number. I answered trying to sound more upbeat than I felt. The woman on the other end of the line was cheerful, apologized for not responding to my email or voice mail and asked how my vacation went.

After some small talk, she said "We want to offer you the position if you're still interested."

"That's great!"

"And it would be full time."

"Really?"

"Yes."

It was all I could do not to drive off the road. We talked a bit setting up when I could come in and fill out the necessary paperwork and whatnot before getting off the phone. It wasn't until after I got off the phone I realized I forgot to ask two important questions. 1) When do I start? 2) How much will I be paid?

I went in the next morning and when I saw my boss I called him into a room and broke the news. I was giving my 2 weeks.

I meet with them today to find out the answer to my questions.

And after that I go close on my house, then a belated birthday dinner with friends.

Sorry, that kind of got away from me. If you made it through that, congratulations!

tldr: I got a new and a new house.

Also, the new job is days. No weekends. No nights. No holidays. No call.
    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

*\o/* *\o/* *\o/* Huzzah! Congratulations! *\o/* *\o/* *\o/*

Comment

Woohoo! Congrats! Healthcare is such a difficult field to work in.

Comment

Congratulations. Glad it all worked out.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I officially accepted the job Friday. It is an actual pay cut of $1/hr. Which kind of sucked. I was hoping for a bit of a pay raise, BUT I pay NOTHING for health insurance. And I was told the plan is pretty good. 401K...they match 3%. I lose 50% of my paid time off a year. At my current job I would have received 6 weeks PTO in July. I now get 3. That is going to hurt since I live for my time off.

I was also told that the owner likes to bonus the employees around the holidays. Bonus? I've heard of that mythical creature before, but have only sighted them rarely. Despite being new, they are honoring the vacation requests I have in at my current job. And they're giving me a week or so to get my new house organized before having to start with them.

They have a golf league starting and I am welcome to join if I would like. (I suck, and am not an avid golfer, so probably not.) But I was told that, aside from family, the people you spend the most waking time with are coworkers. So they do a lot of things outside of work together. That actually sounds pretty cool. It has been awhile since I've worked at a place like that.

As I was leaving, the lady who has been my point of contact said, "You're going to get your life back."

That is worth $1/hour.
          I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Awesome!! Congratulations!

Comment

Quoth Antares View Post
              I officially accepted the job Friday. It is an actual pay cut of $1/hr. Which kind of sucked. I was hoping for a bit of a pay raise, BUT I pay NOTHING for health insurance.
              If you are currently paying for your health insurance, you will find that you are now coming out ahead. I used to be the Benefits Manager at a non-profit and would talk to new employees about this very thing - yes, we paid less per hour than private places but health insurance for the employee was covered in full, and copays for doctor visits was only $3 - $5 (yes, this was many years ago). Once they did the math, they realized their take home was better with us.

Comment

Working...
              X